Tributes to Cec Coldwell

Guest Old Canny Street Kid

Some tributes to Cec Coldwell are due following his death at the age of 79. He was a full back who joined the Blades from Norton Woodseats in the very early 50s and he served the club as player, coach and stand-in manager over some 20 years. He was one of those players who knew his limitations in terms of pure skill but learned how to make the best use of his talents, with his experience down the years turning him into a notable full-back who was a credit to United and to the game. He was also a very decent guy, as honest and genuine as the day is long. John Harris always rated him very highly, and he belonged to that breed of Blades whose loyalty knew no bounds. In his short spells as stand-in manager in very difficult circumstances, he always came up trumps. Some people even said he should have got the job full time! A great guy, we shall remember him with tons of affection. I hope The Star gives him a bigger write-up than the few lines tucked away in the sports supplement last Monday.

You have to admire the long term servants to football clubs and the affection that the fans have for them. While from the blue side of the city I would like to give my condoleces to a true gentleman

You have to admire the long term servants to football clubs and the affection that the fans have for them. While from the blue side of the city I would like to give my condoleces to a true gentleman

A Heap cartoon of Cec Coldwell --one of the nicest people you'd ever be likely to meet in the old days at Bramall Lane.