The Magnet, Southey Green Road

dunsbyowl1867

I used to go to the gym (Flex Fitness) which is under the shops (the chippy etc)

I am still good mates with the owner but train at another place now. Where the Magnet was is just wasteland and has been for the last 10+ years.

Dan

'The Magnet at Southey is a well known pubin Sheffield, set in the middle of one of our city's large housing estates, and it has always been well patronised. A popular ex captainof Sheffield Wednesday (Ted Catlin) was the landlord here at one time. Two things stick in my mind about this place, one that for several years after the last war. every Sunday morning, there used to be a flourishing 'tossing ring' pon the forecourt just outside - the introduction of the Panda cars put paid to this. The other feature tending to make thispub unique was that during the war, most of the customers used to carry their own pots or glasses about with them. This practice had arisen because the pub often became so crowded that there were insufficient pots to serve all those who required them and the regulars upset at having to wait until the dirty pots were collected and washed again, ensured that on there next vist they would not have to wait by purloining a pot each and bringing it along with then whenever they visited the pub'

Roy Davey Pubs and People

tale updated on main list.

I live just behind were the Magnet was and it is jut a mess now. <_<

Hello,

My Father grew up in the old Park District and in the years before WWII, a large part of it was "cleared" and people rehoused. Some went onto the Arbourthorne but many people moved to Parson Cross.

What with the move and the war, he lost contact with many old friends that had moved out to Parsons Cross so when they did eventually meet up again, the usual question was ,"Where are you living now?".

Without exception, they all seemed to say, "At back o' Magnet". It was landmark that everybody related to.

Regards

Some family friends; Terry and Margaret, used to be the landlords there and during that time both my Nans worked there, with my Dad and Uncle being regulars. My Uncle is now part of the furniture across the road at the Club.

Everyone seems knows where it is, even though it has been gone for years.

I've two recollections of the Magnet. Before the War, my Mum worked at the sweetshop opposite the Magnet. During the clampdown on the Sheffield gangs, she remembers one day when the police 'Heavy Mob' rolled up in a van. The huge coppers went into the pub, and two stayed by the door. After a brief space of time, various bodies flew out of the door into the van, the police came out and off they went.

Then in the late 60's I worked for the Libraries Dept. One day two scruffy kids came in to the Library (the old pre-fab one) and wanted to borrow some books. The librarian asked to see their hands, which were filthy. She told them to go home and wash them and come back. A few minutes later they were back with slightly cleaner hands. " Have you been and washed them?" she said. " Well we haven't been home " they said, " we went across to t'Magnet, put 'em down toilet and flushed it".

Guest Steve Bush

In the seventies it was said that if you had a pair of Levis nicked off your washing line, you could go in the Magnet and buy them back a few days later. It certainly had that kind of reputation, wether deserved or otherwise. We stuck to safe pubs like the PX Hotel and The Beagle

In the seventies it was said that if you had a pair of Levis nicked off your washing line, you could go in the Magnet and buy them back a few days later. It certainly had that kind of reputation, wether deserved or otherwise. We stuck to safe pubs like the PX Hotel and The Beagle

Sounds a biit like the Hen & Chickens in town, place an order one day and receive it the next.

My parents were publicans and knew Terry well. On the few occasions I went there it appeared to be two different pubs, the posh side and the rougher tap room where you could order/buy anything. 

Love the Health & Safety measures taken by the painters in the photo.

I remember the Magnet as a kid in the mid 60's.  We moved us back to England from Canada in 1964 and we lived at my Grandmother's at 44 Kyle Crescent.  My grandmother was a regular at the Magnet, closes table to the bar they said.

I grew up on Parson Cross and have many memories of the Magnet pub my father and grandparents both drank in there occasionally in the 1980s but by the mid 90s it was a fairly rough pub and so they migrated to the Southey Social Club Instead.

If anything was ever stolen in the area chances are it was sold in the Magnet i clearly remember people trying to flog football shirts and VHS players. Once my dad popped in with me for a quick pint before a Wednesday match he sat me down on a stool next to the TV with a packet of crisps and a bass shandy. A bloke walked in pulled the TV off the wall and walked out with it before the landlord could get from behind the bar i dont think we went back after that haha! 

It was a rough joint in the 1990s….rumour had it the brewery put aspiring managers in there to see how they coped with the clientelle!