Coliseum, Spital Hill

Guest Old Canny Street Kid

I was a regular at the Coliseum, Spital Hill when I was a kid spending a lot of time at my grandmother's house in Danville Street, and I saw many Roy Rogers films and many of the old black-and-white films that featured stars like James Mason and Margaret Lockwood. I especially recall seeing Laurance Olivier in 'Henry V' at the Coli.

Off hand, I don't know the story, but there is something in the records about a unique theatre organ that was installed at the Coli.

When I have looked in some of the old newspapers, and especially at the list of cinemas, I have often noticed that on a certain day in July every year the cinema was closed for a staff outing to the seaside. I wonder if there is anyone still around who went on one of those trips and knows anything about them?

The organ was installed in 1921 by the Huddersfield firm of Peter Conacher and the pipes were placed either side of the screen. A very early stereo setup?

The organ was installed in 1921 by the Huddersfield firm of Peter Conacher and the pipes were placed either side of the screen. A very early stereo setup?

I was a regular at the Coliseum, Spital Hill when I was a kid spending a lot of time at my grandmother's house in Danville Street, and I saw many Roy Rogers films and many of the old black-and-white films that featured stars like James Mason and Margaret Lockwood. I especially recall seeing Laurance Olivier in 'Henry V' at the Coli.

Off hand, I don't know the story, but there is something in the records about a unique theatre organ that was installed at the Coli.

When I have looked in some of the old newspapers, and especially at the list of cinemas, I have often noticed that on a certain day in July every year the cinema was closed for a staff outing to the seaside. I wonder if there is anyone still around who went on one of those trips and knows anything about them?

I used to go there every week. I remember as a kid if it was an 'A' movie you had to be with an adult so we used to stand on the steps asking people to take us in.
  • Like 1