The Moor - The Last Day

Guest bus man

Deregulation was in 1986 so I suspect around 1984 ish when we started the run up to it or it may have been earlier

Deregulation what a nightmare, though it did have an upside. Suddenly drivers who had worked years for SYT and were noted for avoiding passengers at all cost got a personality change.When they started driving for the likes of Groves, Sheffield & District and Yorkshire Terrior etc, instead of pinching time to avoid punters they started to pinch even more to get a full load. We had a driver at Herries Road who absolutely hated passengers, and even though he had been reported many times for his behaviour no one could get him to smile and change his ways, that was until Mrs Thatcher came along. One morning in 1986 after old Ernest had taken Policy "D" and started working for Groves, guess what, he could be seen daily with a full bus plus a smile on his face,I think that was the first time anyone had seen his teeth.

Thought you may like to see one of the photos taken on the last day of The Moor being open to buses note Robert brothers on the right, the cranes building the MSC building.

No doubt Transit will get excited when he sees this.

I was so impressed with your photo bus man that I have used it as a then and now shot if only to show how the Moor has changed since your picture was taken. It is in the "then and now" thread on Sheffield Places - their history.

Hope you don't mind me using the photo like this.

Guest bus man

I was so impressed with your photo bus man that I have used it as a then and now shot if only to show how the Moor has changed since your picture was taken. It is in the "then and now" thread on Sheffield Places - their history.

Hope you don't mind me using the photo like this.

No problem provided it is credited to me : Busman

THANK YOU

And theres more where that came from

Guest manclad32

hi transit

would give my right arm to see your photos of jumbos being repainted, in the garage, or indeed any pics of jumbos you have would make my day/year/life!

I especially like the larger screen ones, in brown and cream, loved the noise of those old atlanteans. I was on one once, the 41 to hackenthorpe, and it broke down at the top of granville rd. Used to love riding the 49/53 routes too, lots of bumpy roads, and the buses made such a noise! My email address is richard.sorensen@jwt.com. There are so few pics of these buses on the web (don't know why) so thanyou so much for your pics.

all the best

rich

....ah yes !! one of the 1st "jumbos" with the smaller screen - probably saw this bus being painted a couple of years previously at the "new" paintshop premises on Rutland Way back in '78 when i was a frequent visitor , and was seriously considering working there when i left school - got loads of photos inside the paintshops of the buses being painted into SY colours ! ;-)

Ooooops sorry I thought it was 1979 of the top of my head so it was 1980, however, I am surprised that Argos as been there at least 28 years

I notice that the above artilce ignores the current rebuild and doesnt mention the "fake tram " flower tubs , nor does it mention the famous shops on there Atkinsons, Robert Bros, Pauldens etc I suspect the histor was written by some one in the estate business with no knowledge of sheffield

Back to the topic of the last day of buses on The Moor. Amongst my vast pile of bits of old paper I found this:

which clearly states that from 2nd September 1979 all services would be using Charter Row and Eyre Street. D Scott Hellewell also gives the date as 1979 in hiis book on South Yorkshire's Transport (Venture Publications, 1996)

And the City Centre map form SYPTE's May 1980 timetable book clearly shows bus services running via Charter Row and Eyre Street. Looks like The Moor website has the wrong date!

Guest Atlantean

Deregulation what a nightmare, though it did have an upside. Suddenly drivers who had worked years for SYT and were noted for avoiding passengers at all cost got a personality change.When they started driving for the likes of Groves, Sheffield & District and Yorkshire Terrior etc, instead of pinching time to avoid punters they started to pinch even more to get a full load. We had a driver at Herries Road who absolutely hated passengers, and even though he had been reported many times for his behaviour no one could get him to smile and change his ways, that was until Mrs Thatcher came along. One morning in 1986 after old Ernest had taken Policy "D" and started working for Groves, guess what, he could be seen daily with a full bus plus a smile on his face,I think that was the first time anyone had seen his teeth.

The driver you refer to was Ernest Clayton. He was a driver at Herries Road for many years and was nicknamed Vinegar Face. He was a miserable old sod when driving buses. I can remember him stopping his bus outside Ecclesfield police station to complain about all the double parked cars on St Mary`s Lane outside a certain chippy. I knew Ernest when he was at Groves and was quite a funny and likeable chap. I now believe he passed away a few years ago.

The driver you refer to was Ernest Clayton. He was a driver at Herries Road for many years and was nicknamed Vinegar Face. He was a miserable old sod when driving buses. I can remember him stopping his bus outside Ecclesfield police station to complain about all the double parked cars on St Mary`s Lane outside a certain chippy. I knew Ernest when he was at Groves and was quite a funny and likeable chap. I now believe he passed away a few years ago.

It took me over 20 years to gain Ernests confidence, and when I did he was, as you say a very funny guy, I was at his funeral going on for 10 years ago and was surprised to learn that he would have been a professional footballer had it not been for the intervention of the 2nd world war. W/E.

Guest Atlantean

It took me over 20 years to gain Ernests confidence, and when I did he was, as you say a very funny guy, I was at his funeral going on for 10 years ago and was surprised to learn that he would have been a professional footballer had it not been for the intervention of the 2nd world war. W/E.

Thanks for your reply. I was told by another exHerries driver who worked for Groves, Alan Clayton, no relation to Ernest that he was a pro footballer and played for Wednesday. I`ve looked into this but haven`t been able to find anything out. Ernest went on to drive buses for Rotherham & District after Groves sold his services to SYT. Changing the subject most of Mikes drivers were ex Herries men with some Eastbank and Greenland men aswell. Quite a few have now passed on to the big bus garage in the sky.