The Moor - The Last Day

Guest bus man

Guest bus man

Thought you may like to see one of the photos taken on the last day of The Moor being open to buses note Robert brothers on the right, the cranes building the MSC building.

No doubt Transit will get excited when he sees this.

Guest bus man

That's interesting, I don't remember Argos being there before pedestrianisation.

Must admit Iam surprised now that you have mentioned it , if you look carefully there are all sorts in the picture conductor on platform despite it been a bus that could be one manned the marina estate car on our right

Must admit Iam surprised now that you have mentioned it , if you look carefully there are all sorts in the picture conductor on platform despite it been a bus that could be one manned the marina estate car on our right

If this is the last day of buses on the Moor can we put a date to it?

I have no idea how long Argos has been on the Moor, but those cranes building the Manpower Services building in the background seem to suggest around 1979 - 1981 to me.

I have no idea how long Argos has been on the Moor, but those cranes building the Manpower Services building in the background seem to suggest around 1979 - 1981 to me.

I would go for 1979 when the pedestrians took over the Moor.

There is a photo dated 1979 in Peter Goodman's "Sheffield in the Seventies" which shows those early Railway Sleeper planters when still empty and there are still road markings to be seen.

Guest bus man

I would go for 1979 when the pedestrians took over the Moor.

There is a photo dated 1979 in Peter Goodman's "Sheffield in the Seventies" which shows those early Railway Sleeper planters when still empty and there are still road markings to be seen.

The last day was 1979 cant give an exact date at thiss stage however september rings a bell but the year is 1979 I will confirm when I find the actual prints - Iam working off the digitals which arnt dated but the prints are

Guest bus man

It is definatley the last day no doubt whatsoever. I went out specially

Moorfoot was finished and ready to be occupied in 1980, so the work in the background would suggest 1979.

The last day was 1979 cant give an exact date at thiss stage however september rings a bell but the year is 1979 I will confirm when I find the actual prints - Iam working off the digitals which arnt dated but the prints are
People in the picture are wearing short sleeve shirts and most have no coats so it puts it in the summer months, unless we had one of those Indian summers that year. There's also a light Northerly wind but they can happen at any time of year. :unsure:

Am I right in thinking that Wakefields "Famous" Army Stores was the next shop up from Argos, 2 large plate glass windows with the door in the centre.

Guest bus man

Am I right in thinking that Wakefields "Famous" Army Stores was the next shop up from Argos, 2 large plate glass windows with the door in the centre.

If you look in the photo above the marina you will just see under the walk way the sign for the army stores

Guest plain talker

That's interesting, I don't remember Argos being there before pedestrianisation.

Neither did I, mike, I'm quite surprised!

I used to catch the bus, in the late 1970's, up to High Storrs School, from outside Woolworths, on The Moor, if I didn't call for my friend Elizabeth, who lived in the Officer's Quarters at the salvation Army on Charter Row. (her parents were the Officers In Charge there at the hostel) so the pedestrianisation didn't happen until after then...

Guest bus man

The Moor was closed to through traffic on 2nd September 1980, to make way for pedestrianisation.

There is more info about the Moor at http://www.moorsheffield.com/News.aspx?NID=25

Ooooops sorry I thought it was 1979 of the top of my head so it was 1980, however, I am surprised that Argos as been there at least 28 years

I notice that the above artilce ignores the current rebuild and doesnt mention the "fake tram " flower tubs , nor does it mention the famous shops on there Atkinsons, Robert Bros, Pauldens etc I suspect the histor was written by some one in the estate business with no knowledge of sheffield

Guest transit

Thought you may like to see one of the photos taken on the last day of The Moor being open to buses note Robert brothers on the right, the cranes building the MSC building.

No doubt Transit will get excited when he sees this.

....ah yes !! one of the 1st "jumbos" with the smaller screen - probably saw this bus being painted a couple of years previously at the "new" paintshop premises on Rutland Way back in '78 when i was a frequent visitor , and was seriously considering working there when i left school - got loads of photos inside the paintshops of the buses being painted into SY colours ! ;-)

Ooooops sorry I thought it was 1979 of the top of my head so it was 1980, however, I am surprised that Argos as been there at least 28 years

I notice that the above artilce ignores the current rebuild and doesnt mention the "fake tram " flower tubs , nor does it mention the famous shops on there Atkinsons, Robert Bros, Pauldens etc I suspect the histor was written by some one in the estate business with no knowledge of sheffield

So now we have got a date for the last bus to go down the Moor and after looking at the photo again can anyone say when the bus livery changed from the blue and cream of old to the coffee and cream in this picture. Obviously it was pre 1979 -80 but I had assumed it changed when other companies other than Sheffield Corporation Transport were allowed to run bus services (eg Mainline) and when all those subsidised 2p to go anywhere in Sheffield fares were phased out and as far as I can remember both of these were post 1980.

Guest bus man

So now we have got a date for the last bus to go down the Moor and after looking at the photo again can anyone say when the bus livery changed from the blue and cream of old to the coffee and cream in this picture. Obviously it was pre 1979 -80 but I had assumed it changed when other companies other than Sheffield Corporation Transport were allowed to run bus services (eg Mainline) and when all those subsidised 2p to go anywhere in Sheffield fares were phased out and as far as I can remember both of these were post 1980.

On the 1st April 1974 the South Yorkshire Passanger Transport Executive was formed this would run buses in South Yorkhshire it would specify the servies in barsnley these would be run by the Yorkshire Traction Co which was a national bus company .

The Pte would take over the former Sheffield , Rotherham & Doncaster fleets. the pte wanted a new livery for there fleet however they wanted something which would stand out ideally they wanted Red but Traky was red and there were some independants that used it ie booth and fisher therefore just after april buses appeared in brown and cream livery the brown was very very pale and was diffiucult to see so therefore the brown was darkend this was used until the PTE buses became SYT which was the company set up to run the former PTE buses .

This company used a brown/cream/red livery then we got the mainline red/yellow

During the pte years the shad of brown got darker one of the problems was that the brown was mixed in house in latter years a british standard brown was used . There were some experiments to change the livery a bus went into rutland way (the paint shop) and got all sorts of colours it ended up white and red this was rejected - by this time the number of independants in the county had gone down - the bus ended up painted in pte brown/cream and went into the training fleet and is now preserved at sandtoft

Apart from the very short experiment in the 1950s with green you can argue that sheffield buses/trams were blue and cream for around 90 years and since then have been every colour under the sun apart from black .

TRANSIT: can you amend and update please ta

Guest bus man

On the 1st April 1974 the South Yorkshire Passanger Transport Executive was formed this would run buses in South Yorkhshire it would specify the servies in barsnley these would be run by the Yorkshire Traction Co which was a national bus company .

The Pte would take over the former Sheffield , Rotherham & Doncaster fleets. the pte wanted a new livery for there fleet however they wanted something which would stand out ideally they wanted Red but Traky was red and there were some independants that used it ie booth and fisher therefore just after april buses appeared in brown and cream livery the brown was very very pale and was diffiucult to see so therefore the brown was darkend this was used until the PTE buses became SYT which was the company set up to run the former PTE buses .

During the pte years the shad of brown got darker one of the problems was that the brown was mixed in house in latter years a british standard brown was used . There were some experiments to change the livery a bus went into rutland way (the paint shop) and got all sorts of colours it ended up white and red this was rejected - by this time the number of independants in the county had gone down - the bus ended up painted in pte brown/cream and went into the training fleet and is now preserved at sandtoft

Apart from the very short experiment in the 1950s with green you can argue that sheffield buses/trams were blue and cream for around 90 years and since then have been every colour under the sun apart from black .

Thanks bus man, obviously if they changed colour in 1974 thats way before I expect and clears up any confusion with your initial picture (79-80 would have the cream and brown). I still prefer the blue and cream though, to me it looks better and is more typical of what I consider to be Sheffield transport colours.

Guest bus man

Thanks bus man, obviously if they changed colour in 1974 thats way before I expect and clears up any confusion with your initial picture (79-80 would have the cream and brown). I still prefer the blue and cream though, to me it looks better and is more typical of what I consider to be Sheffield transport colours.

If you look closely at the my photo of the bus on the moor you will see several shades of brown on the same bus this illistrates the problem with the shades and why they went to british standard shades

Guest plain talker

If you look closely at the my photo of the bus on the moor you will see several shades of brown on the same bus this illistrates the problem with the shades and why they went to british standard shades

ooh that's interesting, busman.

I thought the different colours (such as on the bumper and under the headlights) were just the way the paint had "weathered", or newer panels being put against older panels in repairs (such as when you take you car to the paint shop for a respray after a bump, and even though it's the same paint, because of weathering, it looks slightly out of true wit the rst of the paint)

Guest transit

....here goes -- Busman has given a spot on description of the SYPTE "standard" livery so i'll just help the topic along with helpfull photos with basic general description ....

pic 1 , 2 This was the first livery with the light coffee shade ,including green SY fleetname - which was applied to around a dozen buses - but only lasted a couple of months till...

pic 3 the "standard" livery which became the norm for several years , with the "flying duck" SY logo and brown fleetname , then ......

pic 4 1980/1 saw the fleetname /logo lettering revised and also....

pic 5 the engine bustles were painted brown as standard -to supposidly show less greasy/oil marks when needing maintenance !

pic 6 1985 saw the "all-new" livery of South Yorkshire Transport - and the use of vinyl lettering for fleetnames !...

pic 7 the Sheffield Mainline livery...

pic 8 "First Mainline" livery.

Please note these liveries were applied to vehicles in general - albeit many had variations to the rule , including "Fastline", City Nipper , Bendybuses ect . I have other "interesting!" photos if requested . ;-)

....here goes -- Busman has given a spot on description of the SYPTE "standard" livery so i'll just help the topic along with helpfull photos with basic general description ....

pic 1 , 2 This was the first livery with the light coffee shade ,including green SY fleetname - which was applied to around a dozen buses - but only lasted a couple of months till...

pic 3 the "standard" livery which became the norm for several years , with the "flying duck" SY logo and brown fleetname , then ......

pic 4 1980/1 saw the fleetname /logo lettering revised and also....

pic 5 the engine bustles were painted brown as standard -to supposidly show less greasy/oil marks when needing maintenance !

pic 6 1985 saw the "all-new" livery of South Yorkshire Transport - and the use of vinyl lettering for fleetnames !...

pic 7 the Sheffield Mainline livery...

pic 8 "First Mainline" livery.

Please note these liveries were applied to vehicles in general - albeit many had variations to the rule , including "Fastline", City Nipper , Bendybuses ect . I have other "interesting!" photos if requested . ;-)

Wow! What a brillant, comprehensive and complete answer to my original question about liveries on Sheffield buses. Thanks Bus man and Transit for that.

So when did the subsidised 2p bus fares disappear then? I'm guessing early eighties? Something to do with the policies of thre Thatcher Government perhaps?

Guest bus man

Wow! What a brillant, comprehensive and complete answer to my original question about liveries on Sheffield buses. Thanks Bus man and Transit for that.

So when did the subsidised 2p bus fares disappear then? I'm guessing early eighties? Something to do with the policies of thre Thatcher Government perhaps?

Deregulation was in 1986 so I suspect around 1984 ish when we started the run up to it or it may have been earlier

Guest plain talker

Deregulation was in 1986 so I suspect around 1984 ish when we started the run up to it or it may have been earlier

by 1985, my stepsons were certainly costing us 5p for their fare. (by then, they were old enough to require us paying fares for them)

I remember 2p fares up to about 1983/4.