Mystery Location

DaveH

This is my brother larking about with his wooden ladder when he should have been painting and decorating.

The picture was taken in 1963 but can anyone guess where it was taken?

There's a clue in the background.

attachicon.gif1963 -.png

Neepsend Power Station in the background, base of tower block to the left, somewhere around Martin Street, Ponderosa area ?

HD

Cuthbert Bank?

Spot on Hugh, he and his workmates were painting the Cuthbert Bank pub as seen to the left of

the picture while taking time out for the balancing act.

Spot on Hugh, he and his workmates were painting the Cuthbert Bank pub as seen to the left of

the picture while taking time out for the balancing act.

The piece that is jutting out is part of what is now the wash and go car wash the other structure near by that you can just see the part roof of was my brothers pigeon hut.

The piece that is jutting out is part of what is now the wash and go car wash the other structure near by that you can just see the part roof of was my brothers pigeon hut.

Yes I remember all those pigeon huts on the bank side , aren't a few of them still there?

When my wife started teaching at Stannington in 1968 one of her newly appointed colleagues was from Somerset, and this was her first venture into the northern wilderness. One day someone asked her whether she liked Sheffield, and she said "I like it very much, but I do pity the poor people who live in those shanty huts above Penistone Road".

Prompted by Steves post, has this house been rebuilt, it certainly looks different to the others in the row

attachicon.gifCharlotte Rd.jpg

View Larger Map

No, I believe it hasn't been rebuilt, if you look at the picture with the horse and carriage the smaller roofline is the same, and the doors and the bay-windows correspond.

it certainly looks as if it has been rendered, and painted, as well as a new roof, but it's the same house

Like you say PT, here it is the house in 1890.

attachicon.gif1890.jpg

The wall seen in the background, behind the horse & cart is surrounding the gardens of Clough House.

Charlotte Road.

Not in Sheffield but, to save starting another new topic --

Most people will have seen this Doncaster shop at some time or other.

Working across the road this morning, so also the first photo-op for VOX 2 :)

Aaa, that reit thier Tozzin.

Another series on the horizon I'm told.

Shooting has begun on another six episodes. To be honest I didn't reckon the one at Christmas. They seem to be going down the Last of the Summer Wine road, which ended up being dire. Best left alone I think. LotSW hit its peak with Foggy Dewhurst, and went down rapidly after he left.

Shooting has begun on another six episodes. To be honest I didn't reckon the one at Christmas. They seem to be going down the Last of the Summer Wine road, which ended up being dire. Best left alone I think. LotSW hit its peak with Foggy Dewhurst, and went down rapidly after he left.

I heard that on Radio Sheffield whilst I was on the M18 on my way there that morning. I thought I heard them say there was a reporter there, covering some sort of meeting about the series, but when I arrived all was quiet. Perhaps I misunderstood, or as I wasn't there for very long, maybe it happened after I left.

LOTSW - my thoughts exactly. It's the "Foggy era" for me.

It was still just about ok until Bill Owen died, but then It was time to pack it in I thought. By that time Clegg was taking more of a back seat (because of his age I suppose).

"Howard" was a brilliantly endearing character right to the end though.

I heard that on Radio Sheffield whilst I was on the M18 on my way there that morning. I thought I heard them say there was a reporter there, covering some sort of meeting about the series, but when I arrived all was quiet. Perhaps I misunderstood, or as I wasn't there for very long, maybe it happened after I left.

LOTSW - my thoughts exactly. It's the "Foggy era" for me.

It was still just about ok until Bill Owen died, but then It was time to pack it in I thought. By that time Clegg was taking more of a back seat (because of his age I suppose).

"Howard" was a brilliantly endearing character right to the end though.

No, I think you're right. I heard the same report, and if I remember correctly the reporter was chatting to people in the street (vox populi is it?) while he was waiting for the hair salon that's the shop where the outside scenes are shot to open. I'm probably mixing it up with the piece they did when they were shooting the Christmas one. They did definitely say they were doing six episodes though.

Would you believe it! I read through 35 pages of this thread before posting :rolleyes:

I like this bridge but do others know where it is?

It looks like the bridge over the Great Central Railway at the bottom of Acres Hill Road in Darnall.

Right hand side of Map 184

It is indeed!

I was looking on google for the quickest way to the Industrial estate on the opposite side of the railway and was surprised to find a nice old railway bridge and not a concrete thing.

It is indeed nice to see an old railway bridge.

I would have liked it a lot back in the days when Cravens Works & Darnall Engine Shed were alive & kicking. Before my time, unfortunately :(.

Guest Andrew Glossop

Sadly the bridge is closed to cars now, they have put measures in the end to only allow cyclists over.