Mystery Location

DaveH

It's a section box from the original tramway system. Within it would have been an open knife switch ( think Boris Karloff ). It's purpose was to connect a section of overhead catenary wiring to the feeder cable from the substation. The linesmen would use it to isolate sections of overhead when repairs were needed. Would you want to reach inside an iron box containing exposed metalwork at 650 volts DC on a wet evening ?, I wouldn't.

The logo stands for Sheffield Corporation Tramways.

HD

You are getting too good at these HD lol

So there could be more than one of these in Sheffield then ?

he he

Like I stated in my question, "I don't know what it is"

Taken a look on picturesheffield, but I can't see it on there. :(

Maybe that should have been Sausages "Curly" Taste then (having seen the letter in the correct order). Transport will do for me every time, must try harder

Should have been 'Steve's Totally Confused' but not any more thanks to HD's answer.

Where is the location of the section box that is in my photograph ?

You are getting too good at these HD lol

So there could be more than one of these in Sheffield then ?

These boxes,also known as feeder pillars, were located all over the system in order to sectionalise it and enable work on the overhead. Some of the large grey boxes on the modern system carry out a similar purpose.

HD

Should have been 'Steve's Totally Confused' but not any more thanks to HD's answer.

Where is the location of the section box that is in my photograph ?

I've had a look in one of my Sheffield Tram books and according to that there were two still existing at the time of the book's publication. Church Street and Prince of Wales Road. Apparently they were located every half mile along the system, 'so there must have been lots of them. The book says that they also contained a telephone. According to the book there are also in excess of 50 STC iron manhole covers still in the roads and pavements of Sheffield. These would have been for joints on the feeder cable system. I guess we will all be looking down at our feet and bumping into things for the next few days.

HD

I've had a look in one of my Sheffield Tram books and according to that there were two still existing at the time of the book's publication. Church Street and Prince of Wales Road. Apparently they were located every half mile along the system, 'so there must have been lots of them. The book says that they also contained a telephone. According to the book there are also in excess of 50 STC iron manhole covers still in the roads and pavements of Sheffield. These would have been for joints on the feeder cable system. I guess we will all be looking down at our feet and bumping into things for the next few days.

HD

I can't find a Picture Sheffield photo of a close-up of a section box but you can see one on the pavement outside the Salutation Inn on Attercliffe Common at ref s13127.

(Link Fairey please ?).

They are not to be confused with the similar shaped but much taller YEB distribution columns which were once a common sight on street corners. These have all but disappeared nowadays as the distribution companies have solidified the network.

HD

HD

Well done HD and thanks for adding info,

this section box stands at the top of East Parade next to Church Street.

Well done HD and thanks for adding info,

this section box stands at the top of East Parade next to Church Street.

Nice cone Steve

Was that added to give scale, like an Archaeologist uses a stripy stick

Nice cone Steve

A bit of a puzzler that one Stuart,

I did not want to move it in case Big Brother was watching me,

maybe someone had tripped over a raised flag stone and sprained their big toe.

Could be another case of "Where there's blame, there's a claim"

Or the cone could have been covering a big pile of dog poo.

lol

Nice cone Steve

I think he was using the section box to show how big his cone is.

I can't find a Picture Sheffield photo of a close-up of a section box but you can see one on the pavement outside the Salutation Inn on Attercliffe Common at ref s13127.

(Link Fairey please ?).

They are not to be confused with the similar shaped but much taller YEB distribution columns which were once a common sight on street corners. These have all but disappeared nowadays as the distribution companies have solidified the network.

HD

Whoops, I've just had a very close look at the box outside the Salutation Inn and it is indeed a YEB distribution column and not a section box. If you examine it closely you can see the bolts holding on the cast-iron backplate which was removable to allow the armoured cables to be terminated onto the distribution frame. Also it's a bit too big to be a section box.

HD

Let's have a new un.

This looks handy, it is stuck in the middle of a cycle path :)

Who knows where it stands ?

Let's have a new un.

Uh, no guesses to the location then ?

Here is the Hand again, but this photo was taken from the rear.

Well I recognise that chimney to the right and the cinema to the left.

You've had a few down there Steve

Well I recognise that chimney to the right and the cinema to the left.

You've had a few down there Steve

So do I. I know exactly where the chimney is so I know approximately where the hand is.

I can't work out where the photo is taken from to give that view though.

(does that make sense.)

Let's have a new un.

A raised hand in the middle of a cycle path :blink:

I wonder how many "cyclists" have ever bothered to even look at a highway code book, - like other road users HAVE to, and are even aware of the fact that a raised hand like that, especially when given by a Police Officer, means STOP!

Heeley Green ... Industrial Estate nearby.

Heeley Green ... Industrial Estate nearby.

Not far away from Heeley Green Richard.

Can anyone name this well known building,

that the Hand stands near ?

(both vox and Stuart know the answer)

Not far away from Heeley Green Richard.

Can anyone name this well known building,

that the Hand stands near ?

(both vox and Stuart know the answer)

Old Cinema or Swimming Baths ??

Old Cinema or Swimming Baths ??

You have got it.

The rear of Abbeydale Cinema on the L/H side of the photo,

with Broadfield Road (Heeley) baths in the background.

And the new sculpture is called ..

Somewhere here, before improvements

You have got it.

Honest truth, I've no idea - twas me Brother in Law up North Visiting ... an educated guess on his behalf.

Honest truth, I've no idea - twas me Brother in Law up North Visiting ... an educated guess on his behalf.

Give your Brother in Law a big hand lol

This was the waste land where the sculpture and cycle track is, just before redevelopment.

image courtesy of Google

You have got it.

The boiler-house chimney of Heeley Baths continues to serve the community in a "supporting role" today.

You would need good eyes to see what I mean from the photo's so far, but I can assure you that there are 1035 reasons why it continues to be useful. You might get a clue from an aerial photo.

Any guesses ?

HD

The boiler-house chimney of Heeley Baths continues to serve the community in a "supporting role" today.

You would need good eyes to see what I mean from the photo's so far, but I can assure you that there are 1035 reasons why it continues to be useful. You might get a clue from an aerial photo.

Any guesses ?

HD

Does it support a Radio Aerial, possibly a Short Wave Aerial