Mystery Location

DaveH

Guest InSheffield

This topic has been running for nearly 3 years, I have a feeling this Boundary Post has been mentioned previously, but lets give it another go.

Where is it and what is/was the boundary

Central Sheffield -

I spotted the paving in the picture must make it Division Street, and it didn't take too long to find the exact location - on the corner of Carver Street.

It must be marking the old Sheffield/Ecclesall boundary. If I remember correctly, there's another of these on Convent Walk, between Victoria and Gell Streets. I wonder if anyone has a list of any other survivors?

Well spotted

If I had thought the pavement was that obvious I would have cropped it more

That wouldn't have been enough to fool him Stuart.

That tell tale bit where the pointing in the wall is slightly uneven would have given it away eventually.

Edit:

There are a couple of mentions of boundary markers on here somewhere "insheffield" but I don't think we have a list.

Brook Hill comes to mind.

(You might have just found yourself a job by the way.)

I spotted the paving in the picture must make it Division Street, and it didn't take too long to find the exact location - on the corner of Carver Street.

It must be marking the old Sheffield/Ecclesall boundary. If I remember correctly, there's another of these on Convent Walk, between Victoria and Gell Streets. I wonder if anyone has a list of any other survivors?

I'd have been on this for years ...

I'd have been on this for years ...

Stuart once advised us to "look upwards" to notice things in Sheffield mystery locations.

Obviously our member InSheffield does the opposite and looks downwards at the pavement.

How does the pavement in Division Street look different to any other street in the City? :unsure: , and why should it look different? <_<

Guest InSheffield

Stuart once advised us to "look upwards" to notice things in Sheffield mystery locations.

Obviously our member InSheffield does the opposite and looks downwards at the pavement.

How does the pavement in Division Street look different to any other street in the City? :unsure: , and why should it look different? <_<

I find looking down makes me less likely to trip over :) Clumsy, me?

The Division Street paving is actually pretty distinctive - there are odd rows of sparkly blue bricks every few feet. Although they don't appear in the photo, I think that's why I remembered it.

Guest InSheffield

There are a couple of mentions of boundary markers on here somewhere "insheffield" but I don't think we have a list.

Brook Hill comes to mind.

(You might have just found yourself a job by the way.)

I've started this thread to try to collect a list - hope I've done it right!

I've started this thread to try to collect a list - hope I've done it right!

Most certainly have.

I've edited in a photo for the Brook Hill one

Don't know where you got the Convent Walk bit from though.

Can't find the one at Division Street/Carver Street on Streetview

<iframe width="562" height="314" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&amp;source=embed&amp;hl=en&amp;geocode=&amp;q=division+st,+norton&amp;aq=&amp;sll=53.800651,-4.064941&amp;sspn=11.905102,43.286133&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;hq=&amp;hnear=Division+St,+Norton,+Sheffield+S1+4,+United+Kingdom&amp;layer=c&amp;cbll=53.380017,-1.473805&amp;panoid=jDz0FqyBC9dtSX6l73rg_Q&amp;cbp=13,251.48,,0,0&amp;ll=53.372794,-1.47028&amp;spn=0.016079,0.048237&amp;z=14&amp;output=svembed"></iframe><br /><small><a href="http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&amp;source=embed&amp;hl=en&amp;geocode=&amp;q=division+st,+norton&amp;aq=&amp;sll=53.800651,-4.064941&amp;sspn=11.905102,43.286133&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;hq=&amp;hnear=Division+St,+Norton,+Sheffield+S1+4,+United+Kingdom&amp;layer=c&amp;cbll=53.380017,-1.473805&amp;panoid=jDz0FqyBC9dtSX6l73rg_Q&amp;cbp=13,251.48,,0,0&amp;ll=53.372794,-1.47028&amp;spn=0.016079,0.048237&amp;z=14" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>

I thought Stuart had gone on holiday this week <_<

Must have taken his computer with him :rolleyes: again!!!

Some holiday! B)

Guest InSheffield

Most certainly have.

I've edited in a photo for the Brook Hill one

Don't know where you got the Convent Walk bit from though.

I've had some time this evening to take photos of the four boundary posts we know about - including the Convent Walk one - and have edited them in to the thread.

I've had some time this evening to take photos of the four boundary posts we know about - including the Convent Walk one - and have edited them in to the thread.

Good work

I dont think this one has been featured before, any ideas?

Nice find sando, just needs adding to the Date Stones Topic,

when someone comes up with the correct answer.

Image courtesy of Google

I dont think this one has been featured before, any ideas?

I'm sure I have posted this before in this topic :)

Lets see if anybody can guess it, I know it

I'm sure I have posted this before in this topic :)

Lets see if anybody can guess it, I know it

Thought I had seen it somewhere on here Stuart,

why is it not listed in the date stones ?

Nice find sando, just needs adding to the Date Stones Topic,

when someone comes up with the correct answer.

Image courtesy of Google

Well I know where it is, but then I would having worked behind the window slightly above and to the left of the date stone.

I was working on semiconductor fabrication if that's a clue.

We used bromine as an etchant and one one occasion a fresh delivery of chemicals from nearby Prestons was placed in a store cupboard by the store man.

The next day I turned up for work to find the building evacuated and firemen in breathing apparatus all over the place.

The bromine had been wrongly delivered in a bottle with a Bakelite screw cap and it had eaten it's way out of the bottle and the fumes filled the building.

The clean-up took weeks.

HD

Thought I had seen it somewhere on here Stuart,

why is it not listed in the date stones ?

It is, perhaps its not named 100% correctly. perhaps it could be better described :rolleyes:

It is, perhaps its not named 100% correctly. perhaps it could be better described :rolleyes:

The name on the list is the one we always referred to when I worked there. I suppose you could add the Frederick bit if being pedantic.

HD

Or even the Sir Frederick if being extremely pedantic.

The U of S refer to it by that name on their websites.

edit Sir added

Well I know where it is, but then I would having worked behind the window slightly above and to the left of the date stone.

I was working on semiconductor fabrication if that's a clue.

We used bromine as an etchant and one one occasion a fresh delivery of chemicals from nearby Prestons was placed in a store cupboard by the store man.

The next day I turned up for work to find the building evacuated and firemen in breathing apparatus all over the place.

The bromine had been wrongly delivered in a bottle with a Bakelite screw cap and it had eaten it's way out of the bottle and the fumes filled the building.

The clean-up took weeks.

HD

I have had quite a few interesting incidents with bromine over the years.

School being heavily overstocked, room filling with vapour, girl trying to loose her thumb by incorrectly shaking a test tube containing it.

Nasty stuff.

Spoonful of bromide helps - Atomic Rooster he he

School being heavily overstocked, room filling with vapour, girl trying to loose her thumb by incorrectly shaking a test tube containing it.

Nasty stuff.

Spoonful of bromide helps - Atomic Rooster he he

As you probably well know from your own education Richard,

BROMINE and BROMIDE are not the same thing.

They only differ by one electron, - but what a difference it makes!

Nasty stuff.

It could have been worse, she could have had her thumb over a tube of hydrofluoric acid, not that you would put that in a glass test tube :wacko:

HD

O he he

As you probably well know from your own education Richard,

BROMINE and BROMIDE are not the same thing.

They only differ by one electron, - but what a difference it makes!