Mystery Location

DaveH

Summer/Winter ...

Doesn't the sun rise in Parkhead in winter then ? I never knew that lol

HD

I don't know if this fella has been posted before, where is he?

I think so, wasn't it something to do with a boozer?

I think so, wasn't it something to do with a boozer?

Its nowt to do with a boozer Dave

Its nowt to do with a boozer Dave

Same thing appeared in this topic 2 years ago (June 2009) but I am not sure we ever got an answer to it.

At the time SteveHB pointed out that the dog and word "STANCH" was a trade mark.

So are we looking at a factory or business of some sort? steel? cutlery?

Same thing appeared in this topic 2 years ago (June 2009) but I am not sure we ever got an answer to it.

At the time SteveHB pointed out that the dog and word "STANCH" was a trade mark.

The mark was used by J & Riley Carr.

Come on Dave a good link fairy would post a link

You mean like this, posted by Sando on 5 June 2009

STANCH

I walked past it this morning on my way into work, I thought it must have been covered before and so it has

I walked past it this morning on my way into work, I thought it must have been covered before and so it has

Still don't think the answer was ever revealed though Stuart (unless I have missed it, - it's getting late and I've had a drink!) so if you know about this mystery (I obviously don't) then lets keep it open as a quiz for a bit.

This may or may not be interesting.

Here's a "blown up" view from my attic window.

Where is it ?

Something very large a long way off.

Thorpe Marsh, Barnby Dun, Doncaster ?

Thorpe Marsh station was demolished some time ago although the six cooling towers were still standing when Google Maps was photographed.

When we lived by the Bole Hills we could clearly see Eggborough, Ferrybridge and Drax stations. I think only one of the 3 stations at Ferrybridge is still operational but I believe a lot of the cooling towers still exist. On a clear day can you see much condensation above the towers. I've worked at Eggborough but I can't remember how many towers it had.

HD

It is Thorpe Marsh I think.

It's the right direction and there are six of them.

Google streetviews

On a clear day I can make out a horizon behind them. (Unless its a trick of the light)

I'm yet to work out where that would be.

I tried to work it out from the contour lines but I didn't have much success.

Any suggestions as to where the high ground is behind there ?

Google streetviews

On a clear day I think I can make out a horizon behind them though my camera isn't good enough to record it.

(Unless its a trick of the light)

Any suggestions as to whether there is high ground behind there ?

Google streetviews

On a clear day I can make out a horizon behind them. (Unless its a trick of the light)

Any suggestions as to where the high ground is behind there ?

I still think that there are more than 6 towers on that photo, the heat haze makes it difficult but some of them look too wide to be a single tower.

Anyway you will soon know as according to the Erbex forum last report (May 2011), the demolition men were already back on site and clearing around the tower bases prior to the application of a bit of HE.

Keep looking and if they keep disappearing like 6 green bottles, then you are correct.

There seems to be quite a bit of foreground that could be identified and with an OS map and a 12 inch rule you should be able to pinpoint the direction.

Keep looking and don't fall off the chair.

HD

P. S. When we lived nearby in Mona Avenue if you stood at the top of the garden and looked with binoculars, you could see the gantries and cranes of Goole Docks.

HD

I still think that there are more than 6 towers on that photo, the heat haze makes it difficult but some of them look too wide to be a single tower.

Anyway you will soon know as according to the Erbex forum last report (May 2011), the demolition men were already back on site and clearing around the tower bases prior to the application of a bit of HE.

Keep looking and if they keep disappearing like 6 green bottles, then you are correct.

There seems to be quite a bit of foreground that could be identified and with an OS map and a 12 inch rule you should be able to pinpoint the direction.

Keep looking and don't fall off the chair.

HD

P. S. When we lived nearby in Mona Avenue if you stood at the top of the garden and looked with binoculars, you could see the gantries and cranes of Goole Docks.

HD

Best I can tell is that it's North Eastish. I'll get a compass and check it properly.

I'll be looking every morning from now on HD. Binoculars polished and ready

Mona is amateur. If you can see Goole from there, I should be able to see Zeebrugge from my attic he he

is it the towers just off sandygate road

No Wessie, I'll give you a clue , it is in the City centre.