Mystery Location

DaveH

You're as close as a near person sando. :)

It's actually Graham Rd. Belgrave is a bit further up.

Funnily enough I'd just been working on Belgrave when I drove down the hill to this spot.

Here's another showing the original cast iron railings. Obviously too low for modern safty regs. Now obstructed by more recent railings.

At least they left the old ones there.

It’s a long time since I have crossed this bridge, but as a child we used to hang a rope from the cast iron railings, shin down it to save walking round, then use it as a rope swing in the middle of the road that is STorth lane.

Also as you go across the bridge uphill, just over the bridge on the right there were the gardens of a house that was on Carsick hill, in the gardens was a 6 hole golf course and a lake, the fun we had secretly playing golf, building rafts and fishing in these ponds, often being chased away by the gardener

It’s a long time since I have crossed this bridge, but as a child we used to hang a rope from the cast iron railings, shin down it to save walking round, then use it as a rope swing in the middle of the road that is STorth lane.

Also as you go across the bridge uphill, just over the bridge on the right there were the gardens of a house that was on Carsick hill, in the gardens was a 6 hole golf course and a lake, the fun we had secretly playing golf, building rafts and fishing in these ponds, often being chased away by the gardener

I'm going to be back on Belgrave sometime next week. I'll stop off at the bridge and see if there's any way to have a look at what (if anything) is left of that garden. I'll also have a look at the bridge from Carsik hill.

EDIT

I've just been on google maps. I'm a bit out. The road with the bridge is actually Stumperlow Crescent Road. (it blends into Graham Road a bit further down hill)

The "top" side says Nether Hallamshire The "bottom" side says Sheffield Township.

There's something on the top as well but it's difficult to read at 20MPH

I can't see myself parking up and walking down there.

It's another one of these. My memory (quite likely faulty) is that this particular stone on Western Bank marked the point where three townships met. I don't think Upper Hallam would be one of them. More likely Sheffield, Nether Hallam and Ecclesall Bierlow...but that doesn't match the clues.

The markers are on the OS (Godfrey) maps, as 'BP' but it's difficult to tell which 'dot' goes with the label, as the boundaries they mark are also dots.

There is one marked just up Winter Street from Western Bank, so now in the Arts Tower car park. With the widening of Western Bank, this could be quite close to the current location. This PictureSheffield image is labelled 'Winter Street Boundary Stone'. If this is the same one my memory is clearly wrong about the three townships.

Hugh

It's another one of these. My memory (quite likely faulty) is that this particular stone on Western Bank marked the point where three townships met. I don't think Upper Hallam would be one of them. More likely Sheffield, Nether Hallam and Ecclesall Bierlow...but that doesn't match the clues.

The markers are on the OS (Godfrey) maps, as 'BP' but it's difficult to tell which 'dot' goes with the label, as the boundaries they mark are also dots.

There is one marked just up Winter Street from Western Bank, so now in the Arts Tower car park. With the widening of Western Bank, this could be quite close to the current location. This PictureSheffield image is labelled 'Winter Street Boundary Stone'. If this is the same one my memory is clearly wrong about the three townships.

Hugh

Your photo on the other thread clearly shows the words Boundary Post on top. As the two look exactly the same I presume that's what's written on the top of the Western Bank one as well.

Three Townships? As it's a 3 sided marker I suppose it's just possible that it has something on the back as well. Now obscured by the wall.

Where can you see this Sickle?

No idea, looks like a handy weapon though. The sickle industry was big business at on time, so is somewhere relevant to the industry (probably a daft question)

No idea, looks like a handy weapon though. The sickle industry was big business at on time, so is somewhere relevant to the industry (probably a daft question)

Norton somewhere ... ?

This building has nothing to do with todays industry

and I should know what stood there in the past,

but I don't. :(

Norton somewhere ... ?

No,

It's more central Sheffield.

This building has nothing to do with todays industry

and I should know what stood there in the past,

but I don't. :(

No,

It's more central Sheffield.

Looks like a new build, anything to do with one of our new hotels?

Looks like a new build, anything to do with one of our new hotels?

That narrows it down a lot,

I wonder haw many there are to choose from?

That narrows it down a lot,

I wonder haw many there are to choose from?

Given they are displaying a sickle not cutlery I must be south side of central sheffield.

No idea really :)

Given they are displaying a sickle not cutlery I must be south side of central sheffield.

No idea really :)

Or is it to do with Communism and the former Soviet Union?

Remember we are twinned with a steel making town in Russia, - Donetsk

Just a suggestion, like Stuart no idea really.

If it's over the entrance to an office block where workers pass every day on their way in and out.

Will they get Sickle The Sight Of It? :)

If it's over the entrance to an office block where workers pass every day on their way in and out.

What would Health and safety say about a sickle suspended over a doorway ready to fall and hit someone like the sword of Democles?

Sounds like an accident waiting to happen

Why don't you hurry up and and get your bags packed,

It'l give us all a break.

he he

Perhaps that's the reason why someone did this.

Why don't you hurry up and and get your bags packed,

It'l give us all a break.

he he

Perhaps that's the reason why someone did this.

But where's the office block

Where can you see this Sickle?

It is either St Mary's Gate or St Mary's Road, not sure where on changes into the other, on a new build block on the left as head towards Granville Rd. I sit outside here daily in traffic on my way to work.

It is either St Mary's Gate or St Mary's Road, not sure where on changes into the other, on a new build block on the left as head towards Granville Rd. I sit outside here daily in traffic on my way to work.

This location would explain why SteveHB "should know what was on this site before" as he used to live in this area many years ago.

So its back to Stuart0742 to solve this one who also has extensive knowledge of this area.

This is the rear of the hotel,

it may help.

Novotel, Dixon Lane.

Now I've not even seen the front of the said building so it is a stab in the dark and probably useless.

Is it the building which used to be Premier Body Builders?

Its a big one :)

Courtesy of Google Street View

I don't know if these faces have appeared before on here

On which building are these 3 faces found.

They appear side by side on this building

Its a big one :)

Courtesy of Google Street View

Junction St Mary's Rd and Shoreham St

Photo 1 Photo 2 Photo 3

Photo's 1 & 2 join together, looking up St Mary's Rd where Steve's mystery location is. Photo 3 is the other side of St Mary's Rd.