Mystery Location

DaveH

Guest Gramps

Yes your right vox along with Stuart0742,

the Gents toilets are built into the rail banking support wall near to

the old Heeley Station

It's getting on sixty years since I used those toilets, there were no trees growing up there then. :)

It's getting on sixty years since I used those toilets, there were no trees growing up there then. :)

When I was down there taking photographs,

I had to go inside the iron gates of the old Station approach (see above post #703)

to spend a penny.

Look what I came across

What's now gone which was fixed on here for -- well, as long as I can remember. It was removed or stolen last year I think.

Dave will obviously know.

Google Street View

Note - I've remembered not to leave the answer in the photo's name this time.

What's now gone which was fixed on here for -- well, as long as I can remember. It was removed or stolen last year I think.

Dave will obviously know.

Google Street View

Note - I've remembered not to leave the answer in the photo's name this time.

And I wonder if the shops painted sign is still there,

'hidden behind that bill board' ?

And I wonder if the shops painted sign is still there,

'hidden behind that bill board' ?

Ah I know this one, will not spoil the fun, it was on my list of possible locations, already have the photo

PM to confirm

Correct - correct.

I noticed that it had suffered some damage a while ago. The sort of damage that could not occur naturally. I presume it was too big a risk to leave it there.

I called into the shop today. (Like a time warp inside) and was quite surprised that he seemed quite unconcerned about the fate of "the item" He says it just rotted away over time and the brackets holding it to the wall gave way. It fell down and broke into un-repairable pieces so he slung it. When I said it was a shame, he just shrugged and said "well it was up there for 80 years, what can you expect"

I was equally surprised to learn that what I thought was a year or two ago, was actually 2001.

Not only - where did "the item" go, but where did all that time go?

I called into the shop today. (Like a time warp inside) and was quite surprised that he seemed quite unconcerned about the fate of "the item" He says it just rotted away over time and the brackets holding it to the wall gave way. It fell down and broke into un-repairable pieces so he slung it. When I said it was a shame, he just shrugged and said "well it was up there for 80 years, what can you expect"

I was equally surprised to learn that what I thought was a year or two ago, was actually 2001.

As this thread seems to have inherited a lavatorial theme from the "Is this a hard question or an easy one" thread is the said item a toilet?

Despite what vox thinks I haven't worked out where it is yet though.

I drive past every day, I am suprised it was 2001, like you say where does time go

A penny farthing bike. located on Abbeydale Rd.? Or was that another time, another place?

I drive past every day, I am suprised it was 2001, like you say where does time go

Guest plain talker

A penny farthing bike. located on Abbeydale Rd.? Or was that another time, another place?

I was thinking the same thing, the penny-farthing that stood above Butterworth's(?) Cycles? Opposite Abbeydale primary school?

I was thinking the same thing, the penny-farthing that stood above Butterworth's(?) Cycles? Opposite Abbeydale primary school?

picturesheffield

And a bit of jiggeri-pokeri lol

WOW, aint Google good lol

but

I am sure it was the other way round :)

What the dog or the bike?

lol

What the dog or the bike?

lol

Right, replied to the wrong post, the bike lol

The dog is a pointer :)

This can bee seen on Google S.V.

but you wont be able to read it,

anyone know the answer without needing a clue?

How about this one?

and who or what was Stanch?

My apologies sando for putting your quiz question in the background.

I'm sure someone will be sharp enough to come up with the answer.

Guest skeets

Not so much a mystery location but a mystery item, I suppose the location comes into the second part of the question

Two questions

What is it?

Where is it? (within Sheffield)

DaveH I think I told you the other day, you can't have a go yet

Photo taken today 14/12/08

Before somebody else says it no I have not lost an umbrella

HI Stuart l have been served from one of these,over 60 years ago .think it was 1 /3 then it was at Ella Rr Pitsmoor

Well everybody's given the old Penny farthing a good ride then!

I'm still amazed at how unconcerned the bloke was about it rotting away.

If ever you're near there have a look inside.

It's never seen a lick of paint since ---?? There are loads of old bikes as well as the new ones and it has that nice oily smell that I remember from Howards Cycles in the old village at Hackenthorpe. A bit different to Halfords.

HI Stuart l have been served from one of these,over 60 years ago .think it was 1 /3 then it was at Ella Rr Pitsmoor

I'm with you skeets. That's what it is.

That's 2 votes for one of those then. :)

How about this one?

and who or what was Stanch?

This is the Dog Brand trademark of J & Riley Carr Ltd the manufacturing company that occupied the building until the 1950's. The business was established by Riley Carr in 1806 in Bailey Lane but relocated to Herries Road South in 1954. Originally the company were concerned with merchanting steel and making steel and saw fenders but later manufactured saws, files and machine knives.

The phrase "a stanch (or staunch) dog" means a good, reliable hunting dog.

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=h...sa%3DN%26um%3D1