Mystery Location

DaveH

If remember right it was a cow,

wonder what happened to it after the dairy closed?

A life size Cow.

When Mintons bought the buildings, Express sold/gave the cow to Northern Dairies or Northern Counties Dairies (Not sure of the name). They think it went to Manchester. You'd think there would be a photo of it somewhere online but I can't find anything.

When it was the dairy, there were staff there 24 hrs, loading and bottling for the next day. You could get a pint of milk at any time, day and night, from the blokes on the loading bay.

Also - what a really nice Art Deco entrance.

On behalf of the confused and bewildered, once a question is answered, please post up the full answer so we can all appear intelligent. I still don't know where this is/was.

Ta muchly.

Belligerent Yorkshireman.

(Interesting - Yorkshireman is flagged as a deliferate speeling mistook ... "I don't beeelieve it !")

On behalf of the confused and bewildered, once a question is answered, please post up the full answer so we can all appear intelligent. I still don't know where this is/was.

Ta muchly.

Belligerent Yorkshireman.

(Interesting - Yorkshireman is flagged as a deliferate speeling mistook ... "I don't beeelieve it !")

The old Express Dairy building on Broadfield Rd, about 100 yds from Heeley Baths. The cow was displayed in the reception.

Guest skeets

The more that is revealed the less points you score and the value of the prize decreases

Exchange st ?

A life size Cow.

When Mintons bought the buildings, Express sold/gave the cow to Northern Dairies or Northern Counties Dairies (Not sure of the name). They think it went to Manchester. You'd think there would be a photo of it somewhere online but I can't find anything.

When it was the dairy, there were staff there 24 hrs, loading and bottling for the next day. You could get a pint of milk at any time, day and night, from the blokes on the loading bay.

Also - what a really nice Art Deco entrance.

I started going there with my dad in the late 40s when it was owned by Chatsworth Dairys. In those days semi, and fully-skimmed milk had very little value. At certain times of the week the skimmed milk tanks would be emptied direct into the river opposite the dairy. That was of coarse until some genius came along and brainwashed us into thinking it was good for us. W/A.

I started going there with my dad in the late 40s when it was owned by Chatsworth Dairys. In those days semi, and fully-skimmed milk had very little value. At certain times of the week the skimmed milk tanks would be emptied direct into the river opposite the dairy. That was of coarse until some genius came along and brainwashed us into thinking it was good for us. W/A. And bad for the fish I assume. If there were any in there at that time.

Vox

I started going there with my dad in the late 40s when it was owned by Chatsworth Dairys. In those days semi, and fully-skimmed milk had very little value. At certain times of the week the skimmed milk tanks would be emptied direct into the river opposite the dairy. That was of coarse until some genius came along and brainwashed us into thinking it was good for us. W/A. And bad for the fish I assume. If there were any in there at that time.

Vox

I suppose in the late 40's there would be no fish in any of Sheffield's rivers, milk would be the least of the problems, even out on broadfield Rd.

Opposite way round.

View from an attic window of a house I was working in yesterday

From the positions of the obvious buildings, can you work out more or less where I was?

Psalter Lane area?

That's about 1/2 a mile away as the crow flies and I guess about 20 degrees out in direction.

Here's the house and street from Google Street View. It may help.

Cemetery Road ? Sharrow Lane ? Somewhere in South Wales ??

Do you mean here?

Image from Google Maps

(I think that was a silly suggestion. Everybody knows you can't see our town hall from South Wales, because the Pennines are in the way.)

Guest tsavo

1/2 a mile out eh? Well it's been many years since I roamed that part of the city. Pleased to be so close.....for a crow that is!

While we are on a roll, where will you find this, and what did they used to call the building.

The building has a different name now (well I sure its different)

I seem to remember that most people think it is a statue of Peter Pan!

Was always told it was called the Spirit Of Spring ? can someone clarify?

While we are on a roll, where will you find this, and what did they used to call the building.

Columbia Place near the Leadmill. Before it was converted into flats it was used by GT cars, and before that Holmes and Yunie. Must have been a very important building in the past though. W/E.

Columbia Place near the Leadmill. Before it was converted into flats it was used by GT cars, and before that Holmes and Yunie. Must have been a very important building in the past though. W/E.

Well that did not last long :)

I am thinking of the Holmes & Younie days sure it was called something else

http://www.picturesheffield.com/jpgh/s10095.jpg

Sure was/is a grand building.

In the 1960's there was a Esso petrol station to the right,.

As a kid, whilst living at the Rodley Inn I remember being a nuisance with the attendent, always scrounging the "Tiger in your tank" merchandise.

As a kid, whilst living at the Rodley Inn I remember be a nuisance with the attendent, always scrounging the "Tiger in your tank" merchandise.

Not changed much then lol

Guest plain talker

I don't know the name of the building, but I do know it has recently become a flats complex. It's on Suffolk road, on the opposite side to the B&C funeral Directors.