Mystery Location

DaveH

Here's one with a difference which I think may be quite difficult

While out photographing date stones on buildings for that thread I came across this undated stone which reads

"Albert Road Villas"

The only clue I am giving is that IT IS NOT ON ALBERT ROAD, so where is it?

Is the walkway open yet ?

"Business on a Sunday, No Sir; oh, you're paying in; go on then ..."

Monday - Bust

Here's one with a difference which I think may be quite difficult

While out photographing date stones on buildings for that thread I came across this undated stone which reads

"Albert Road Villas"

The only clue I am giving is that IT IS NOT ON ALBERT ROAD, so where is it?

Somewhere near Mansfield Rd, you must have walked there

Somewhere near Mansfield Rd, you must have walked there

Correct so far,

But the real challenge is, if it's not on Albert Road why is it called that?

I will ask that question when I finally reveal the location.

Correct so far,

But the real challenge is, if it's not on Albert Road why is it called that?

I will ask that question when I finally reveal the location.

Thanks to our friends at Google

Image from Google Street View

Thanks to our friends at Google

Spot on Stuart,

Its on Alnwick Road opposite the junction with Croft Road, on the narrow section of Alnwick near the bottom about half way between the shops where that excellent fish and chip shop used to be and an old boozer we used to go in, the Hollin Bush.

So that leaves 2 mystery questions -

1. Why is a house on Alnwick Road called "Albert Road Villa"?

2. Why has the Google censor removed the top part of that street lamp?

So that leaves 2 mystery questions -

1. Why is a house on Alnwick Road called "Albert Road Villa"?

Well I first thought Alnwick Rd must have been called Albert Rd in the past but I checked and that's not right.

So the only thing I can think of is that the stone mason offered the builder a good deal on a 2nd hand name stone. :rolleyes:

2. Why has the Google censor removed the top part of that street lamp?

I don't know but (serious question) how are they censored? Surely not manually?

Google uses imaging software with built in face and number plate recognition similar to that used on TV to blank out innocent faces and the registration numbers of stolen cars used in crimes. To this extent the censoring is deliberate and automatic and is claimed to be over 90% accurate and effective. However if you spot something it has missed and let them know they can apply the bluring manually.

Google uses imaging software with built in face and number plate recognition similar to that used on TV to blank out innocent faces and the registration numbers of stolen cars used in crimes. To this extent the censoring is deliberate and automatic and is claimed to be over 90% accurate and effective. However if you spot something it has missed and let them know they can apply the bluring manually.

TRYING HARD HERE.

1/ So is the missing lamp just a mistake by the software thinking it was a face?

2/ Similarly was the name stone a mistake by the builder which wasn't noticed untill it was too late.

This crossed my mind:

How does one take a fixed image from Street View?

If we post them in their interactive state then they'll be subject to any updating done by google in the future. Thereby negating the History aspect.

Yes/No?

TRYING HARD HERE.

1/ So is the missing lamp just a mistake by the software thinking it was a face?

2/ Similarly was the name stone a mistake by the builder which wasn't noticed untill it was too late.

This crossed my mind:

How does one take a fixed image from Street View?

If we post them in their interactive state then they'll be subject to any updating done by google in the future. Thereby negating the History aspect.

Yes/No?

Seems to depend on how we put the fixed image on. Many of them, including the ones I have put on are screen captures and not linked back to Google so they will not update. I am not sure what will happen to the truly interactive linked images (the ones you can turn around and look the other way) that stuart0742 has experimented with if Google should update them.

Seems to depend on how we put the fixed image on. Many of them, including the ones I have put on are screen captures and not linked back to Google so they will not update. I am not sure what will happen to the truly interactive linked images (the ones you can turn around and look the other way) that stuart0742 has experimented with if Google should update them.

The lamppost seems to be causing a bigger discussion than the actual discussion

The lamppost is there on certain views, it just depends the viewpoint you choose. Street View is a series of 4 still shots at 90 degrees merged together to form one continuous shot. Strange things happen if you stop on a joint so to speak. I think the lamppost top just disappeared on the particular view I choose.

The lamppost seems to be causing a bigger discussion than the actual discussion

The lamppost is there on certain views, it just depends the viewpoint you choose. Street View is a series of 4 still shots at 90 degrees merged together to form one continuous shot. Strange things happen if you stop on a joint so to speak. I think the lamppost top just disappeared on the particular view I choose.

The lamp post was an innocent bystander and didn't want to be identified in the picture of the fraudulently named house using a false adress.

Holme Lane and Ball Road (or Wood Road); used to be a takeaway; burnt down ...

xxx and xxxx - near enough.

... burger bar actually ....

It was the first place I ever had Mexican style stuff.

The lamp post was an innocent bystander and didn't want to be identified in the picture of the fraudulently named house using a false adress.

Here is the missing lamp post, still does not answer the problem though

Image from Google Street View

Here is the missing lamp post, still does not answer the problem though

That double headed white arrow is there for my benefit when I go out drinking, one end points back home and the other is to guide you to the Hollin Bush lol

I'm very proud of guessing that one :rolleyes:

Though I couldn't name the street it was obvious I knew where and what it was.

I've edited out the answer; to let others have a better go; if you read the answer; don't re-answer; if you didn't - have a go.

xxx and xxxx - near enough.

... burger bar actually ....

It was the first place I ever had Mexican style stuff.

I use to go there, didn't they call it Chuck Waggon before it burnt down?

Could have been Uncle Toms Chuck Waggon

There is a pump house similar to this in Worksop.

That could be a clue Waterside Echo,

what was/is the pump house in Worksop used for please.

That could be a clue Waterside Echo,

what was/is the pump house in Worksop used for please.

Somewhere near the canal, not quite sure at the moment, but there are some distinctive roof shapes in the background.

Yep! that's it. The Chuck Waggon.

Funny how easy it is to remember things once I've been reminded. lol