Mystery Location

DaveH

quote jmdee.

" I can see six letters, but not sure about the seventh. Is there an 'I ' ??? "

No 'I' in SKELTON, I'm afraid.

C.T. Skelton @ Co. Ltd, of Sheaf Bank works were a well known firm of edge tool manufacturers,

during the war they made large quantities of spades and trenching tools for the forces.

What was?

that's 1869, by the way

Not many takers for this one Steve

Constructed 1869 thinks it is something to do with railways, some sort of platform

Constructed 1869 thinks it is something to do with railways, some sort of platform

No connection to railways Stuart.

Does this by any chance happen to be a on bridge across the Parkway?

It is a bridge tsavo, but not across the parkway,

nor does it cross a road.

No connection to railways Stuart.

It is a bridge tsavo, but not across the parkway,

nor does it cross a road.

Must be the canal then

Guest bus man

Is it either :

Ladys bridge or the one next to the bridge inn at heeley on what is London Road South although most people call it either London Rd or Chesterfield Road

Is it either :

Ladys bridge or the one next to the bridge inn at heeley on what is London Road South although most people call it either London Rd or Chesterfield Road

One of your answers is correct.

Partly to do with the railway, if it's Heeley Bridge over the Sheaf. This was rebuilt about the time the line to Chesterfield was put through (or perhaps when the track was widened for the line to Chinley) and rebuilt about 2000, when it took about a year, or even longer, to rebuild it :rolleyes:

bus man - when did 'London road south' come into use ? As a kid I had relatives on Albert road which at that time was about where London road ended and Chesterfield road began - never heard of London road south.

Yes it is Heeley Bridge, the photo was taken with my back to the Bridge Inn PH looking onto the footpath and Road.

This is another view of the bridge.

And on our 1953 map it is shown as London Road, or is it London Rd South?

I believe London Rd South becomes London Rd at the junction of Gleadless Rd,

but that's debatable

Thanks Steve. - Dohh!!

Don't think I'm going to get that one vox without the more than helpful clue that SteveHB has edited out.

So in the meantime and as this thread seems to have sagged off a bit and needs revitalising here's another one, hopefully a bit easier, and which uses Stuart0742's "look upwards" rule.

oh, yes! I recognise that pediment!

I did say that this one would be easier to try to revitalise the thread. I have already received the correct answer by PM from plain talker who certainly does recognise that pediment possibly for 2 reasons

Clue 1

the monogram initials tend to give it away.

Clue 2

it includes a date and plaintalker has been compiling our list of date stones

Although plain talker has won this one my original motive was to get members posting again so I will leave it open, along with those 2 clues for anyone else to post their answer.

{But NOT Stuart0742 as he is DISQUALIFIED in a tit-for-tat retaliation for disqualifying me in another competition in another thread!!}

Guest plain talker

lol lol no, I recognise the pediment because I "walk" (OK, wheel) past it on my way into work, and it's opposite my ex fella's favourite shop! !!!!

lollol no, I recognise the pediment because I "walk" (OK, wheel) past it on my way into work, and it's opposite my ex fella's favourite shop! !!!!

Is it the old Cole Brothers Toy Shop on Cambridge St

Don't think I'm going to get that one vox without the more than helpful clue that SteveHB has edited out.

So in the meantime and as this thread seems to have sagged off a bit and needs revitalising here's another one, hopefully a bit easier, and which uses Stuart0742's "look upwards" rule.

George Binns Outfitters Cambridge Street..

Is it the old Cole Brothers Toy Shop on Cambridge St

Well plain talker did beat you to it and I can't really disqualify you for "insider information" on that one.

Did you know from the picture, the 2 clues I gave or did you go searching Sheffield rooftops on google Earth / multimap in birds eye view mode?

A seasonal one for the weather

but where is it

Just a guess, is it one of those bits of woodland between Gleadless Road and Leighton Road?

There is a stream down there with that style of bridge and those houses look sort of Gleadless / Herdings style.

Well plain talker did beat you to it and I can't really disqualify you for "insider information" on that one.

Did you know from the picture, the 2 clues I gave or did you go searching Sheffield rooftops on google Earth / multimap in birds eye view mode?

It was a proper guess, no clues used.

Busmans photo again a proper old fashioned guess, somewhere around Fraser Rd

The initials in question are GB ie George Binns Outfitters not CB..

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/pi...ff.refno=s14012