Mystery Location

DaveH

My guesses

The first one is rear of Bank St taken from West Bar,

The second one I have already posted but Princess Works Brightside Ln

The Third is mine so can not enter

The fourth, no idea, but looks like one of the new schools that are springing up in Sheffield, clever use of angles and the fog.

Good idea Stuart0742, - a new school <_<

Could it be one of the new Acadamies that used to be either Myrtle Springs (Hurlfield to me and you) or Waltheof?

I think they are currently called Springs Academy and Park Academy respectively.

That bit of wire fencing on the right hand side, the sort you get around sports courts certainly make it look schoolish (bad grammar, I know :o ) and the angular appearance of the building with that supported open corridor on the ground floor make it look like a new school.

ah, now, this one I know! B)lol should I give others a chance to answer first, though?

I've PM'd my answer to DaveH.

HI Is it Greaves cabinetworks near paternoster row

Are you replying to the right "mystery quiz" skeets?

Only there are 4 of these guessing games currently running and have been summarised by Stuart0742 in post # 204

Your quote in your post from plain talker was one I put on just before Christmas, on Christmas Eve in fact, and it was solved almost immediately by plain talker and by others before the end of boxing day.

My mystery picture, the cornered art deco building was Sainsbury's Central on the Moor (formerly the M&S store)

Somehow I think you may be replying to one of the other quizzes which are still open in this thread, a problem that both myself and Stuart0742 are aware of.

ah, now, this one I know! B)lol should I give others a chance to answer first, though?

I've PM'd my answer to DaveH.

Guest plain talker

Good idea Stuart0742, there are so many mystery locations quizzes running simultaneously that its hard to keep track of which one is which and which response is to which quiz so we need to take stock of what is on offer as you have done here.

That last 'Un looks a good 'Un (sorry, wrong thread - see Sheffield dialect)

Taken in fog so as to diguise its true location

That building corner looks so angular it's more like The Deep in Hull than any local location.

At first glance, that's exactly what I thought!

My guesses

The first one is rear of Bank St taken from West Bar,

The second one I have already posted but Princess Works Brightside Ln

The Third is mine so can not enter

The fourth, no idea, but looks like one of the new schools that are springing up in Sheffield, clever use of angles and the fog.

Spot on with number 1 Stuart0742. The building right in the corner is the rear of The Mucky Duck.

A bit of detective work, the banner to the left is for QFM Group, they run Kentucky Fried Chicken outlets in Yorkshire and the North of England

Their Head Office is Princess Works, Brightside Ln, Atlas. Sheffield

So my guess would be Brightside Ln.

Yes spot on Stuart it must be the 1st building on Brightside Lane on the corner of East Coast Road - I think its an interesting building and hope someone can remember what it was?

To avoid confusion, I have merged both Mystery location topics.
Thanks, It doesn't take much to confuse me - my simple little brain can cope now.

Still don't know any answers though :huh:

Taken in February 2007 on a foggy day.

What about Myrtle Springs School/Acadamy, I suppose it would be wrong to call it Hurlfield School.

What about Myrtle Springs School/Acadamy, I suppose it would be wrong to call it Hurlfield School.

Although I live very close to it I have not really had a chance to look at the new Myrtle Springs academy although we have driven past it take a short cut home down Gleadless Common.

Given the date as February 2007 I am not sure what stage of completion it would be in as it was late in being completed and opened, I think Dickdioxide has revised the date to February 2008 which would make more sense. I also thought it was a darker more red brick in appearance but at that corner entrance bit (near where you used to go in opposite the Punch Bowl to get to Hurlfield swimming Baths) I could be wrong, - it certainly looks as though it could be there, given that foggy disguise.

As old Norfolk lads I'm sure that this place will forever be our local rival school "Hurlfield" to us. I was actually quite sorry to see the old school go even though it was our "rival", not that I miss, or would ever partake in an inter-school punch up in Northern Avenue shopping centre at lunchtime but because I did my first teaching practice there in 1977, quite a rough school with a bad reputation for a student teacher but even so I made several good friends there.

Hi SteveHB thanks for editing the members name to the correct one in my previous post, - yet another consequnce of having so many of these mystery locations running at the same time, - sorry.

That link via Wikepedia gives a picture on the right hand side which does look like the mystery picture and clears up any doubts I had about white or red brick, - its got both!

So I think we are probably OK going with Springs Academy then. Are we right?

This one may be too easy for you lot ps HAPPY NEW YEAR

Not quite sure about bus man's mystery, might wait for the photo.

The only 1 outstanding otherwise is mine, here is the full photo

Not quite sure about bus man's mystery, might wait for the photo.

The only 1 outstanding otherwise is mine, here is the full photo

Heavily backlit to diguise details, - similar cover up to Myrtle Springs on a foggy day.

I have done a bit of phot enhancing but am not really any wiser

The sign on the building at the left reads something like "goods entrance at the rear"

The sign on the building immediately right of the University Arts Tower reads something like "Central Glass" and something else which is not well defined

Heavily backlit to diguise details, - similar cover up to Myrtle Springs on a foggy day.

The sign on the building at the left reads something like "goods entrance at the rear"

The sign on the building immediately right of the University Arts Tower reads something like "Central Glass" and something else which is not well defined

The clues are there, can't do much more

Got it! Central Glass is on Copper Street which would give that correct side angle on the Arts Tower at Sheffield University.

Got it! Central Glass is on Copper Street which would give that correct side angle on the Arts Tower at Sheffield University.

Another pint in the bag :)

Another pint in the bag :)

That's 2 pints you owe me now Stuart as I've also solved your "mystery SH member" quiz (it was RichardB)

So have we solved all the outstanding mystery locations now, subject to confirmation of the correct answers or otherwise by the original posters?

That's 2 pints you owe me now Stuart as I've also solved your "mystery SH member" quiz (it was RichardB)

So have we solved all the outstanding mystery locations now, subject to confirmation of the correct answers or otherwise by the original posters?

If you read through they are all confirmed except the foggy view, which we are assuming is Springs Acadamy

It is Springs Academy -taken exactly as one member said in the old Hurlfield Road entrance to Myrtle Springs/ Hurlfield Sports Centre. Now the exit to Springs Academy.

Is that supposed to be a spoon

Come on Stuart, this is bus man's photo.

That spoon shaped thing is is part of a longer chrome coloured vertical pole, and behind the pole is the road as though it is in the middle of the road

It looks to me like the pole on the back of bus that you grab hold of (the "spoon" probably being a hand grip) when getting on / off.

Sorry bus man, not well up on buses, the old sort with a proper conductor where everybody got on and off at the back.

As for the location, a narrow built up roadway with a wall behind with parked cars against it, possibly a works car park, is this in a bus depot or repair shop somewhere?

Guest bus man

Come on Stuart, this is bus man's photo.

That spoon shaped thing is is part of a longer chrome coloured vertical pole, and behind the pole is the road as though it is in the middle of the road

It looks to me like the pole on the back of bus that you grab hold of (the "spoon" probably being a hand grip) when getting on / off.

Sorry bus man, not well up on buses, the old sort with a proper conductor where everybody got on and off at the back.

As for the location, a narrow built up roadway with a wall behind with parked cars against it, possibly a works car park, is this in a bus depot or repair shop somewhere?

It is not a bus depot or repair shop indeed it is not conected with a bus