Mystery Location

DaveH

Right, this could be hard or easy. I think its easy (because I took it)

A bit of photshop to hide the sign and to remove a distinctive building from the skyline

Ukelele Lady will probably get this straight away as we seem to frequent the same places

See how it goes then I will put the missing building back

A bit of photshop to hide the sign and to remove a distinctive building from the skyline

Ukelele Lady will probably get this straight away as we seem to frequent the same places

A lot of evening sky in this picture and cleverly backlit buildings.

I think I'm fairly safe in saying your'e not trying to pull a SteveHB stunt and that it's not the view from your front room window!!

{ I did post a picture from my mums front room window on here, it was the World's only surviving picture of the Carlton cinema!!}

A lot of evening sky in this picture and cleverly backlit buildings.

I think I'm fairly safe in saying your'e not trying to pull a SteveHB stunt and that it's not the view from your front room window!!

{ I did post a picture from my mums front room window on here, it was the World's only surviving picture of the Carlton cinema!!}

No its was taken whilst out and about,

1st clue S3

It is above the shops on Firth Park Road just where it turns into Page Hall Road. And just around the corner is the Coliseum sign above the laundrette window. That refers to Peel's Emporium - a sort of department store. It puzzled me for years as to what it had been. I finally found a photo of it in the Local Studies Library but it is not on picturesheffield yet. At Fir Vale is a similar sign I believe for Fir Vale Market. I meant to go and photograph them myself but you've beaten me to it.

Lyn

Where would you find this? ;-)

Never noticed this before until the other day!

Lyn 1 has it right - I think the building was used by national Westminster Bank in the 1970s - now an Asian Food Hall

Lyn 1 has it right - I think the building was used by national Westminster Bank in the 1970s - now an Asian Food Hall

No it is across the road from there - I think it might be where the butchers shop was and the greengrocers were - can't recall their names but it will all come back to me in the dead of night.

Lyn

No it is across the road from there - I think it might be where the butchers shop was and the greengrocers were - can't recall their names but it will all come back to me in the dead of night.

Lyn

Sorry Gramps you are right - I am thinking about the bank on the other corner. Siddalls was the greengrocers.

Lyn

Lyn

On the right here

Shops - on the corner used to be the Co-op chemist, then davy's, Olivers butchers, Hairdressers called Sallys, Bill Beevers bike shop, Siddalls grengrocey, Sowery's butchers, - can't recall the order of them all but there was a tobacconists and a creamery then Maypole another greengrocers. At one time a wallpaper shop and do you remember having to cut the edges of the rolls of wallpaper before you could use them or are you all not as old as me? I think they must have got knocked about a bit as they were not shrink wrapped then.

Lyn

Lets stick the missing building back

Where's this and what was it?

A bit of detective work, the banner to the left is for QFM Group, they run Kentucky Fried Chicken outlets in Yorkshire and the North of England

Their Head Office is Princess Works, Brightside Ln, Atlas. Sheffield

So my guess would be Brightside Ln.

Shops - on the corner used to be the Co-op chemist, then davy's, Olivers butchers, Hairdressers called Sallys, Bill Beevers bike shop, Siddalls grengrocey, Sowery's butchers, - can't recall the order of them all but there was a tobacconists and a creamery then Maypole another greengrocers. At one time a wallpaper shop and do you remember having to cut the edges of the rolls of wallpaper before you could use them or are you all not as old as me? I think they must have got knocked about a bit as they were not shrink wrapped then.

Lyn

I remember those rolls of wallpaper Lyn.A heck of a job trimming them with big scissors. Eventually we got a fiendish device which slotted onto the edge of the paper. You then set the circular blades (a bit like those on some can openers) to the correct depth, then ran it along the paper edge. A bit of a knack to using it but a lot easier than scissors!

I remember the row of shops, but not in as much detail as you. We lived on Skinnerthorpe and did our shopping mostly on Firvale and the Stores Hill. People really shopped locally then!

Bayleaf

Lets stick the missing building back

I think the addition is the university arts tower , so at a guess this must be somewhere off the bottom of St Phillips road

I think the addition is the university arts tower , so at a guess this must be somewhere off the bottom of St Phillips road

Good guess, not quite correct but in the right area

Lyn, we lived there for a while in the 70s. I remember the bank 'cos I had a fall-out with the stroppy little manager. £3.50 overdrawn ?....you'd think I'd tried to run off with the crown jewels :rolleyes:

As I remember the shops - on the left of the bank was a butcher called Ashe, Sidalls, Bill Beevers and the hairdressers and a little cafe on the corner with Little Bolsover. On the right was a pork butchers (Kramers ?), Underwoods the newsagents, then the chemist and a chippy.; a jennel here I think then a little green-grocer whose name escapes me and then the laundrette.

When I was a kid in the 40s/50s my mother had a ritual of papering the hallway and living room in the week before Christmas - I've still got a groove in my thumb from using the scissors on the paper edging lol

I've just worked out - there are TWO Mystery Location threads. I thought I was going mad - couldn't work out where some of the pics were when I came back.

I've just worked out - there are TWO Mystery Location threads. I thought I was going mad - couldn't work out where some of the pics were when I came back.

To avoid confusion, I have merged both Mystery location topics.

I think we still have the following outstanding mystery locations

To avoid confusion, I have merged both Mystery location topics.

I think we still have the following outstanding mystery locations

Good idea Stuart0742, there are so many mystery locations quizzes running simultaneously that its hard to keep track of which one is which and which response is to which quiz so we need to take stock of what is on offer as you have done here.

That last 'Un looks a good 'Un (sorry, wrong thread - see Sheffield dialect)

Taken in fog so as to diguise its true location

That building corner looks so angular it's more like The Deep in Hull than any local location.

Good idea Stuart0742, there are so many mystery locations quizzes running simultaneously that its hard to keep track of which one is which and which response is to which quiz so we need to take stock of what is on offer as you have done here.

That last 'Un looks a good 'Un (sorry, wrong thread - see Sheffield dialect)

Taken in fog so as to diguise its true location

That building corner looks so angular it's more like The Deep in Hull than any local location.

My guesses

The first one is rear of Bank St taken from West Bar,

The second one I have already posted but Princess Works Brightside Ln

The Third is mine so can not enter

The fourth, no idea, but looks like one of the new schools that are springing up in Sheffield, clever use of angles and the fog.