Mystery Location

DaveH

Thanks for the festive fun SteveHB

Just for you I went to town this morning (Christmas Eve, last minute shopping!!!) and took the wider view that you asked for.

Slightly different viewpoint, just to get that street sign and other details that fix the location. Unfortunately the security camera is "active" and it had been rotated to a different direction. It is pointing towards me in this picture as though the operators think I am up to no good by pointing my camera at theirs (my case goes to court in the New Year :o !!). Also that bird has obviously deceided to fly south on its migration path for Christmas.

Thank you DaveH

OK try this one then, and this time I have got the matching wider view ready.

The first picture I posted on SheffieldHistory was of the Carlton Cinema following a request by Tsavo. No picture was known to exist. except they didn't realise that I used to live opposite it. It was a fine example of 1930's Art Deco style, all in concrete, until they knocked it down in 1999.

With this in mind, and Stuart0742's "look upwards" advice I was impressed with this buildings Art Deco cornice style, having the angular corner entrance similar to the old Carlton cinema. But this building is still standing. Where is it?

I think this one is easier than the last one but you never know.

Guest plain talker

OK try this one then, and this time I have got the matching wider view ready.

The first picture I posted on SheffieldHistory was of the Carlton Cinema following a request by Tsavo. No picture was known to exist. except they didn't realise that I used to live opposite it. It was a fine example of 1930's Art Deco style, all in concrete, until they knocked it down in 1999.

With this in mind, and Stuart0742's "look upwards" advice I was impressed with this buildings Art Deco cornice style, having the angular corner entrance similar to the old Carlton cinema. But this building is still standing. Where is it?

I think this one is easier than the last one but you never know.

ah, now, this one I know! B)lol should I give others a chance to answer first, though?

I've PM'd my answer to DaveH.

ah, now, this one I know! B)lol should I give others a chance to answer first, though?

I've PM'd my answer to DaveH.

I knew this one was easier than the last one and plaintalker has confirmed the answer already by PM as she wants to keep this one open for others to have a go.

Nice one for the family try to guess at after Christmas dinner. (Thats not a clue by the way)

This one really has me puzzled, especially as it was described as "easy".

Something to mull over I think.

Perhaps it was my reference to the Carlton and Art Deco that drew you to this one Tsavo.

To be honest, I don't know what is going to be easy or not and when other people post I always find them difficult.

However this one is in central Sheffield and it is on a main road, so could be described as "easy" in comparison to some of Stuart0742's cut down and masked pictures, some of Ukelele Lady's pictures taken from hidden rear views and down back alleys and SteveHB's classic mystery location taken in his own front room, all of these to me are "difficult"

In any case plain talker has already come up with the correct answer straight away and she thought it was "easy"

But if she wants to let it run she must think, like yourself, that others will find it difficult.

What's bugging me is that I'm sure I should know this building but cant think where it is! Moor thinking required?

You don't need to do any "Moor" thinking Tsavo, you are on the right street.

You don't need to do any "Moor" thinking Tsavo, you are on the right street.

Used to be a famous department store, then it closed, then it became a famous Supermarket.

Got it! Knew it's position, but couldn't find another pic to confirm it!

OK you've got it, but plain talker had the answer straight away.

It's the old M&S building on the Moor which is now Sainsbury Central.

Heres the picture to confirm

OK a really easy one this time, I'm not looking upwards, I don't want you to name any buildings. Can you name this Sheffield street?

That's a new one on me, where is it?

I was going to ask the same question Bayleaf,

untill I came accross this.

SOUTH YORKSHIRE STATIONERS 5

RUTLAND HALL

RUTLAND ROAD

SHEFFIELD S3 8BP

Flash Earth

The hall is on the junction of Rutland Road and Hicks Street, Just off Rutland Road, just prior to the railway bridge. It is quite an impresive building that looks very out of place in its current context.