St Mary's Cubs Party

Stuart0742

Who are they and what was the occasion?

I found this photo in my mother's photo box, it must have been taken about 1968/9 as one of the little urchins is my younger brother he would have been 8/9 at the time. The left group of 5 he is the back centre.

I am sure Steve will recognise at least 1 more CUB in this picture, but what about the others

Location is St Mary's Scout Hall on Charlotte Rd nr St Mary's Church.

I found this photo in my mother's photo box, it must have been taken about 1968/9 as one of the little urchins is my younger brother he would have been 8/9 at the time. The left group of 5 he is the back centre.

I am sure Steve will recognise at least 1 more CUB in this picture, but what about the others

I do recognize some of the faces Stuart,

but the only one I can put a name to is Shaun Taylor

'that's the dark skinned lad with his neck scarf hanging down to his belly'

His Mother 'Pat' was a very good friend of my sister.

This is the Scout Hall present day,

not changed much has it.

My brother David (with the Smile) is to the left of Shaun, the little lad at the front with the mucky jumper looks a right little character

My brother David (with the Smile) is to the left of Shaun, the little lad at the front with the mucky jumper looks a right little character

Stuart

His name wasn't COMPO was it? lol

crikey, I used to be in that cub group - 118th Sheffield St. Mary's, I think - maybe a year or two later - certainly recognise shaun's face if not name. there were two brothers in it too - Cooper ring a bell? think they lived on lancing road, maybe?

and there was a tall, ginger haired kid who lived on Edmund Road, I think? i remember making a kite at his house in the shape of a fish, that we showed at a jamboree somewhere (Clumber?). think we called it (with outstanding imagination) a japanese kite-fish.

the young lad in the middle of the right-hand three looks familiar, too.

I (think) I remember akela used to turn up on an old bike, and we used to wait near the church for her, or play footie in between the cub hut and the adjacent building.

we used to play footie against other cub teams, and our shirts were green, short sleved and made of a wool-like material with v-necks!

Picked your brother out straight away Stuart, even though I haven't seen him for years.

Doesn't he know who all the other kids are that he was in the cubs with or is his memory going the same way as ours?