Hunter's Hallamshire

RichardB

Guest J R Wrigley

Hello Folks

Rev Josph Hunter's 1819 book "Hallamshire. The History and Topography of the Parish of Sheffield in the County of York", is partially online, OK it's only the first two chapters but it beats spending £220 on the book itself

http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Hallamshire...._County_of_York

keep your eyes peeled for updates

Guest Jeremy

Typing out those first two chapters took me a long time, and the second chapter isn't complete yet. I plan to finish the second chapter sometime soon, but I wouldn't hold your breath for any more. If you want the whole book you don't need to spend 220 pounds; I bought it on CD-ROM for 15 pounds from http://blunham.com/CDroms/Descriptions/Hallamshire.html

I've also put up part of S.O. Addy's "A glossay of words used in the neighbourhood of Sheffield". I haven't got through much of the glossary itself yet but the introductory chapter is very interesting, particularly the parts called 'The Geographical or Ethnological Position of Sheffield as regards Dialect' and 'Local Names'. This whole book is available in PDF format at Google Book Search, though for my transcription I've been using a fairly error-ridden OCR'd version that is at the internet archive.

Jeremy

Many thanks Jeremy - and keep up the good work. It's work like yours that educates us younger folk in Sheffield and provides easy access to information that we wouldn't normally find

Hunter's Hallamshire is also available on CD from www.cdroms.blunham.com . Cost you £15!

Hunter's Hallamshire is also available on CD from www.cdroms.blunham.com . Cost you £15!

Indeed, been there, bought that lol

Now what I want is the 1869 - 1875 version(s) updated by the Reverend Gatty, another 150 pages or so and many corrections, even Blunham.com don't have that, because I asked, eyes open ...