Pashleys of Chapeltown

Guest Old Canny Street Kid

In researching my family tree I know that William Bamforth married Eliza Hague, and they lived at Chapeltown --on Cowley Lane in the 1890s, on Lound Side in the 1920s. In between they had a spell in Attercliffe.

But there was a link between the Hagues and a family called Pashley, who also lived in Chapeltown. I think that Elza Hague's sister married a Pashley. Two children mentioned in the 1891 census are Sarah Pashley (aged 17) and Annie E. Pashley.

If anyone has connections with any Pashleys who originate from Chapeltown, they might be able to throw some light on the subject.

In researching my family tree I know that William Bamforth married Eliza Hague, and they lived at Chapeltown --on Cowley Lane in the 1890s, on Lound Side in the 1920s. In between they had a spell in Attercliffe.

But there was a link between the Hagues and a family called Pashley, who also lived in Chapeltown. I think that Elza Hague's sister married a Pashley. Two children mentioned in the 1891 census are Sarah Pashley (aged 17) and Annie E. Pashley.

If anyone has connections with any Pashleys who originate from Chapeltown, they might be able to throw some light on the subject.

I continue to be unable to confirm the link between the Bamforth and Pashley families of Chapeltown, although older members of my family firmly believe that William Bamforth's wife, Eliza (nee Hague), had a sister who married a Pashley. In the early part of the 20th century (sometime between about 1915 and 1924) my mother's brother, Teddy Jackson (1906-1941, was, I am told living in Chapeltown with relatives (someone has said 'grandparents', but I'm not sure) called Pashley.

Checking the 1881 census, I find that there was a Pashley family living at Mortomley Lane End with the following names and ages:

Fred, 31, coal miner, head of family,

Mary, 26,

Arthur, 5,

Lucy, 3,

Eliza, 1.

However, there is no reference to the Sarah Pashley and Annie E. Pashley mentioned in my earlier note, and thus this may not be the right Pashley family --though they could be cousins. (At the time Teddy Jackson was living in Chapeltown with a family called Pashley, Fred and Mary could have been of grandparent age)

The point is that I am sure there were some Pashleys in the Chapeltown area in the early years of the last century who were related to the Bamforths and the Hagues. Whatever happened to them?

I continue to be unable to confirm the link between the Bamforth and Pashley families of Chapeltown, although older members of my family firmly believe that William Bamforth's wife, Eliza (nee Hague), had a sister who married a Pashley. In the early part of the 20th century (sometime between about 1915 and 1924) my mother's brother, Teddy Jackson (1906-1941, was, I am told living in Chapeltown with relatives (someone has said 'grandparents', but I'm not sure) called Pashley.

Checking the 1881 census, I find that there was a Pashley family living at Mortomley Lane End with the following names and ages:

Fred, 31, coal miner, head of family,

Mary, 26,

Arthur, 5,

Lucy, 3,

Eliza, 1.

However, there is no reference to the Sarah Pashley and Annie E. Pashley mentioned in my earlier note, and thus this may not be the right Pashley family --though they could be cousins. (At the time Teddy Jackson was living in Chapeltown with a family called Pashley, Fred and Mary could have been of grandparent age)

The point is that I am sure there were some Pashleys in the Chapeltown area in the early years of the last century who were related to the Bamforths and the Hagues. Whatever happened to them?

I am told that an Eliza Hague, aged 12, has been found living at Lound Side, Chapeltown, according to the 1871 census, and this may prove to hold the key to the Pashley link mystery, but, anyway, it will prove that she did exist and record some details of her family at that time. I may have a lead at last! Just got to get to the library...

I know this will not help your search as such, but I used to do a bit of work for a lovely lady called Pashley who I think was from Chapeltown.

When I first met them, Mr and Mrs Pashley lived on Farrah Street near Brinsworth. Every time I went Mr Pashley always gave me a red apple for my lunch!

When he passed away (2002?) Mrs Pashley moved to a bungalow in High Green and stayed there a few years until she passed away.

I might be wrong but I seem to think she told me that they were from Chapeltown and had moved to Brinsworth....she move back as she had family up there and also in Pitsmoor and Wincobank.

Very nice people.

I know this will not help your search as such, but I used to do a bit of work for a lovely lady called Pashley who I think was from Chapeltown.

When I first met them, Mr and Mrs Pashley lived on Farrah Street near Brinsworth. Every time I went Mr Pashley always gave me a red apple for my lunch!

When he passed away (2002?) Mrs Pashley moved to a bungalow in High Green and stayed there a few years until she passed away.

I might be wrong but I seem to think she told me that they were from Chapeltown and had moved to Brinsworth....she move back as she had family up there and also in Pitsmoor and Wincobank.

Very nice people.

Pashley-Bamforth-Hague link

I may have gone some way towards solving this mystery, for it has become evident from later research that the Pashleys living at Mortomley Lane End in 1881 were related to the Hagues and Bamforths.

In 1871 George (46) and Lucy (44) Hague were living at Lound Side, Chapeltown, with two daughters Mary (16) and Eliza (12).

The 1881 Pashley household was headed by Fred (31) and Mary (26) Pashley, and it would appear that Mary was formerly Mary Hague, daughter of George and Lucy Hague of Chapeltown, and sister of Eliza Hague --Eliza married William Bamforth.

By 1881 both daughters had left home, and George and Lucy had their seven year old grand-daughter Sarah for company.

The Pashleys of 1881 were: Fred (31), Mary (26), Arthur (5), Lucy (3) and Eliza (1).

By 1891 Sarah, now 17, was living with William and Eliza Bamforth, her uncle and Aunt --is is possible that George and Lucy were no longer around?

I suspect that George and Lucy Hague must have married about 1854-5, while Fred Pashley and Mary Hague may have wed around 1873-4, with William Bamforth and Eliza Hague marrying in the late 1870s.

Very nice people.

HI I knew a couple lived in Pitsmoor named Pashley, they were bakers and had a pastry shop, very high class , and they were a lovely couple also, Skeets.

Guest janine

HI I knew a couple lived in Pitsmoor named Pashley, they were bakers and had a pastry shop, very high class , and they were a lovely couple also, Skeets.

hi

if you put pasley of london, nottingham and sheffield in google it will give you this site, and it lists pasley/pashley from 1773 to present. i have used this site for my relatives there is alot of reading but it is worthwhile and very interesting. my link was annie elizabeth nowill [gg aunty] married frank cornelius pashley they lived ecclsall bierlow then walkley i think he was a postman

regards janine

Guest Karin

I have an Ann (nee Green) PASHLEY. She was born about 1828. Parents are Nancy and William Green married 1808. Maybe a relation?

I have an Ann (nee Green) PASHLEY. She was born about 1828. Parents are Nancy and William Green married 1808. Maybe a relation?

It is possible, but I cannot confirm. In truth, the Pashley link in my family is probably what you might call a secondary name, in that I cannot find any details, but the name keeps being mentioned to me as one that has a connection with the Bamforths (my mother's mother having been a Bamforth).

Guest Karin

It is possible, but I cannot confirm. In truth, the Pashley link in my family is probably what you might call a secondary name, in that I cannot find any details, but the name keeps being mentioned to me as one that has a connection with the Bamforths (my mother's mother having been a Bamforth).

I understand. Just thought I would mention it as Pashley rarely seems to come up...at least for me. Good luck!

Hi OCSK, I am a direct descendant of The Hagues/ Pashleys, Sarah, and her daughter Annie Eliza. Annie was my great grandma.

I have a 5 generations photograph which shows the maternal Hague, Pashley, Pizzey, Steels.

Best regards

Guest Gwen Fisher

Not sure if the relatives I have are related to you but my Great Aunt Dora Burdick married a frank Pashley from Sheffield and emmigrated to Canada. I am looking for anyone who has access to records of Edward Robinson of 47 Upperthorpe or Emily Burdick or her sister Dora. I know I have relatives there but not sure if they are still in Sheffield. My one Aunt worked at the allsorts factory after the war, maybe someone will remember her or the burdick family. Edward Robinson I have been told worked for a silver factory not sure which one though. He had three daughters, Edith, Grace and Joyce, hope someone can help

Hi

I'm researching MARY PASHLEY who was convicted in the Midsummer Quarter Session in Lancaster County Lancashire for Larceny and who was transported to Tasmania (or VDL / van Dieman's Land as it was then ) in 1831.

On Mary's physical description it states her colouring & facial features etc and in the side margin is written Sheffield Yorkshire. It says she was 29 at the time.

As a convict she married Charles Howes (an ex convict and my cousin's ggg grandfather) in Tasmania in January 1834 and some time after that ended up in the New Norfolk Lunatic Asylum.

Poor Mary suffered as they all did, unspeakable cruelty at the hands of the authorities and she died in the asylum on 27 October 1859 age 53.

So going by 2 different official records, she would have been born between 1802 and 1806 and the only thing I have to go on for her origin is Sheffield, Yorkshire.

Could she possibly be related to you?

I just hope I can find something out about this poor unfortunate creature.

Cheers

Marcelle in Western Australia.