Presto Tools

Sheffield History

Presto demolition progress as of yesterday.

Seems to be taking a long time, relatively speaking.

These days you nip out for a bacon sandwich and when you come back it's been closed down, sold, demolished and rebuilt as apartments. (Luxury ones of course) lol

Guest Tollbar  Jay

Been sorting out my pictures and wondered if this might be of interest ..its the Old Presto Building Penistone Road

First my Van in there

Guest Tollbar  Jay

What year were these taken please ?

Interesting, Thank you.

2009 about may time sould ave taken them b4 it was all smashed up for scrap :( it went from a fine empty place to the sites you see here in a few weeks

Guest Rowlf

Here they are. Presto Tools was built over them. Which makes it a newer building than I thought it was.

Map shows Rawson Street and Hobson Avenue as well.

50's MAP No.32

Hi I'm so sorry to hear that Presto tools was built over the 'streets'. I was born on Anlaby Street and lived there untill I was about 5 years old, think it was No 19. I remember my Fathers Aunt lived there and when she was re housed to Parson Cross my parents rented the house. My Great grandad lived next door but one and he had a big bed in the front room. His back kitchen had stone floors and was cold, damp and very dark. I seem to remember there was a primary school on the corner and a row of shops facing onto Penistone Road. I don't remember but my Mum told me I went into the school one day when I was about 4 and told a teacher I wanted to come to school, the teacher sent me home with a note and apparently they let me start straight away, must have admired my cheek. I now live about 12 miles outside Driffield, 15 miles from the village of Anlaby and about 16 miles from Brough which is a bit of a coincidence. I was down Penistone Road this afternoon looking to see if I could find any trace of the original site of the streets, although I'm sorry I can't walk down that street anymore, thanks for clearing the mystery up for me. I remember a little 2 up 2 down house with outside toilet at the bottom of what seemed to me to be an enormous yard but I'm sure it wasn't. I have really vivid memories of just walking in and out of all the other houses in the yard, there must have been about 4 or even 6. I remember going with my Dad to buy papers from the newsagents on Penistone Road and then sitting on the back door step reading the Dandy.

Hi I'm so sorry to hear that Presto tools was built over the 'streets'. I was born on Anlaby Street and lived there untill I was about 5 years old, think it was No 19.

Link to 1950's OS map #32

----- I was born on Anlaby Street and lived there untill I was about 5 years old, think it was No 19. --------

Hello and welcome Rowlf

Thanks for your contribution to this topic. Yes, a nice coincidence about Anlaby & Brough.

I think your memory of a very big yard is spot on.

Nos. 13 - 29 where you lived, shared a single yard between the 8 houses, rather than the more normal 4 as in the other yards..

A yard of that size would have appeared huge to a child I'm sure.

I worked, as a maintenance fitter, at Presto Tools from 1980 until 1990. It provided employment for a lot of people in those days, although the wages weren't very good - they had to bus people in from as far afield as Conisborough just to make up the numbers. Sad to see it go though. When one of the owners, Mr Allcard, died ( I think it was around the time I left) his son sold off his majority shares and the firm began it's long demise.

Reading on Sheffield Forum - the firm was originally called Easterbrook & Allcard & did it merge or was taken over by/or became Presto tools when Bert McGee took over.

Unfortunately the Presto Tools website has gone the way of all flesh which goes to prove everything is transitory - even in the digital age!