History of Record Tools

Guest David Lynch esq

Guest David Lynch esq

Could any one help me getting the history of Record Tools made by C & J Hampton Ltd at The Record Works Sheffield

Guest janrhodes

Could any one help me getting the history of Record Tools made by C & J Hampton Ltd at The Record Works Sheffield

I am interested in the history of Record Tools. Both my father and grandfather worked for the Company.

(a) Charles Atkinson - from about 1890 - 1930 - (Foreman Pattern Maker)

(B) Hedley Atkinson - from 1924 - 1974. (Export Clerk, Export Manager, General Sales Manager)

I would be willing to supply copies of photographs, some letters and notes made by my father on visits he made to Scandinavia and South America in the 1960s & 70s (For Record) and some old trade catalogues, to anyone who was interested in gathering information or writing up a history. My father died in 1991 and I inherited all his papers and notes. I am trying to write up my Atkinson Family History, which I have been researching for over 20 years and I would be happy to collaborate in researching and writing up the information contained in these papers.

I would be very happy to collaborate with David Lynch if he is still interested in this project.

Jan Rhodes (nee Atkinson)

Is the Record Works Sheffield in anyway connected to the Record Ridgeway of Doncaster Street?

Guest janrhodes

Yes I'm sure they are the same Company. I have some photographs (probably taken in the 1960s) of the Company stand taken at an exhibition (I think it was probably the Hand-Tool Manufacturers' Exhibition held at Olympia). It shows the sign which reads "RECORD TOOLS" 'C & J HAMPTON LTD' Sheffield.

I also have a Long-service certificate presented to my father "in recognition of 50 years service.....' , which is dated 6th May 1974, and signed by AB Hampton, Chairman. The heading is "RECORD RIDGWAY TOOLS LTD". I can't remember exactly when the name change occurred.

I moved away from Sheffield after I married in 1962 and my father retired in 1974 but I think Record had a management buy-out soon afterwards and then various other changes of ownership. I don't remember Doncaster Street - my father worked at Bernard Road Offices in the 1940s & 50s and later moved to Sheffield Parkway.

Guest David Lynch esq

Yes I'm sure they are the same Company. I have some photographs (probably taken in the 1960s) of the Company stand taken at an exhibition (I think it was probably the Hand-Tool Manufacturers' Exhibition held at Olympia). It shows the sign which reads "RECORD TOOLS" 'C & J HAMPTON LTD' Sheffield.

I also have a Long-service certificate presented to my father "in recognition of 50 years service.....' , which is dated 6th May 1974, and signed by AB Hampton, Chairman. The heading is "RECORD RIDGWAY TOOLS LTD". I can't remember exactly when the name change occurred.

I moved away from Sheffield after I married in 1962 and my father retired in 1974 but I think Record had a management buy-out soon afterwards and then various other changes of ownership. I don't remember Doncaster Street - my father worked at Bernard Road Offices in the 1940s & 50s and later moved to Sheffield Parkway.

G'Day from Australia

I have just set up a new web site on Record Hand Planes/Tools (C & J. Hampton ) If you could have a look and let me know if I have the correct history of C & J. Hampton. You can find me at www.recordhandplanes.com

Regards

David

Guest David Lynch esq

I am interested in the history of Record Tools. Both my father and grandfather worked for the Company.

(B) Hedley Atkinson - from 1924 - 1974. (Export Clerk, Export Manager, General Sales Manager)

I would be willing to supply copies of photographs, some letters and notes made by my father on visits he made to Scandinavia and South America in the 1960s & 70s (For Record) and some old trade catalogues, to anyone who was interested in gathering information or writing up a history. My father died in 1991 and I inherited all his papers and notes. I am trying to write up my Atkinson Family History, which I have been researching for over 20 years and I would be happy to collaborate in researching and writing up the information contained in these papers.

I would be very happy to collaborate with David Lynch if he is still interested in this project.

G'Day Jan

I would be very happy to get and information photos on Record Tools ( C & J. Hampton) I have just set up a new web site on Record Hand Planes/Tools you can find me at www.recordhandplanes.com It would be great to get any information and photos that I could add to my site this is just what I am looking for.

Kind Regards

David

You can email me at david@recordhandplanes.com

Guest David Lynch esq

Please please Jan Rhodes I want to collaborate that information with you. If anyone knows Jan Rhodes please let her know that I would love to hear from Jan

Thank You

Regards

David

www.recordhandplanes.com

email david@recordhandplanes.com

The factory shown in the picture produced Joinery bits of the type used in a "Brace & Bit" plus flat bits on the upper floor. On the ground floor they produced Marples wood chisels. Originally the wood chisels were made in Dronfield but transferred to this works after they sold the 2 sites in Dronfield. Eventually wood chisels went to Parkway works.

My first contact with this firm was wiring lights in a new warehouse in 1966 as a contractor. I remember Mr Hampton coming round his work force every day to everything was satisfactory. I was told he was "Mark Anthony Hampton". Some years later I went to all their works servicing special purpose machines for hardening steel.

As an aside , I believe Tony Hampton was one of the last of the family involved in Record Tools. He was involved in the Cutlers Company of Hallamshire and I knew him when he became a director of Tinsley Rolling Mills……a company which supplied Record Ridgeway with a number of rolled steel sections for its range of cramps.