Working Men's Clubs, Ex-Service Mens, Social/Sports

RichardB

Time to put right the damage I've done to WMC's by posting so much about Pubs.

Please post the names, addresses (if known) and dates (if known) of WMC's and we will built an alphabetical list; hopefully get some pictures and people's names on there too.

I'm away next week, so hopefully there will be a lot of postings to read through when I get back.

Radford Street Club, I have a photograph of it still standing with the surrounds all demolish, taken about 1964-5.

I saw Pat Pheonix [ Elsie Tanner ] who officially opened the new St Philips Club in 1966. :blink:

The good news is iv'e got my picture through the first time but the bad news is it's the wrong way.

Anyway if you can crick your neck a little you will see Radford Street Club still standing 1964.

I'll improve given time.. he he

Thank you Stuart for rectifying this photograph, now we can see Netherthorpe school to the left hand side

of the club. lol

Manor Club, City Road

Park and Arbourthorne Club, corner of City Road / Eastern Avenue

Midhill Club, now gone and has become the Earl Marshall public House, East Bank Road

Manor Club, City Road

Midhill Club, now gone and has become the Earl Marshall public House, East Bank Road

Are all 3 clubs still open on City Rd

Guest transit

Manor Club, City Road

....not forgetting the Arundel ,City Rd !!!!!!! ;-)

3? I've only listed 2,

Oh yes, well done Stuart I had forgot about..

Arundel ex-servicemens Club, City Road

Don't know for sure if they are all still open but on our way back from town last Saturday night the Manor club certainly is. Thanks to the smoking ban in public buildings there were more people stood outside smoking than you could get into the building. Glad I didn't have to walk along that section of City Road!

Guest transit

last i heard the Park "n" Arbour was boarded up and may be demolished , Manor Club is still open ,but not as busy , but the "bottom" club ,the Arundel , is apparently thriving !!!! :o

Guest transit

3? I've only listed 2,

Oh yes, well done Stuart I had forgot about..

Arundel ex-servicemens Club, City Road

Don't know for sure if they are all still open but on our way back from town last Saturday night the Manor club certainly is. Thanks to the smoking ban in public buildings there were more people stood outside smoking than you could get into the building. Glad I didn't have to walk along that section of City Road!

....may still be flying up and down between clubs to catch the bingo!!!!

Tinsley Working Men's Club.

Sheffield Road

Tinsley.

A great club sadly now demolished and gone, lounge area, large concert room and the best working men's club snooker room in the area with 6 full size tables, A MASSIVE LOSS. :(

Link to picturesheffield

Cheers Billy, if you the check the Pubs thread Christmas present(s) you may realise why the WMC listing has been so sadly neglected - hopefully something we can work on and put right.

Best Wishes and Welcome to SheffieldHistory.

Iwas never a Member, just a guest when visiting La Plata with my father. Needs someone with a real interest to take ownership and make this topic worthwhile; when did WMC's begin ?, what was the reason/history; which was first ? any known keepers or a governing body etc etc.

My apologies for completely flooding this thread with Pub postings - they are, however, quite impressive if I say so myself.

....may still be flying up and down between clubs to catch the bingo!!!!

The Clubs on City Road.

Sunday lunchtime was a hoot! Like the migration of the wildebeast.. P&A (also known as Cabbies Castle, after the Secretary who "authorised" the Vera Duckworth-like stone cladding and battlements in the 80's) ran their bingo at 12.30 following which the club emptied as the Manor Estate club ran theirs at 1pm. Not to be outdone the migration continued to the Arundel for bingo (or tombola as it was then known) at 1.30. Shrewd business or just amatuers running professional organisations? Well, it worked. The Manor used to play 4 or 5 full houses for £100 each on a Wednesday night for 25p a book. It was big money back then and you could hear a pin drop, as they say.

Anybody remember Wincobank & Blackburn WMC on Fife St. Wincobank. I used to go there as a kid with my Parents on Saturday & Sunday nights. Used to have some good "turns" on during the 50's & 60's e.g. Tony White; Tony Dalli; Engleburt (before he changed his name);Ricky Lee & her Husband(Can't remember his name); Fortunes etc.

Concert Secretary was called Doug Jessop who was very strict - you had to keep quiet while the "turn" was on otherwise he'd turn on the room lights and shout "Order Please". In those days you had to be a member and prove it to get in. I'm a member of the Arundel on City Rd now and anybody can walk in there usually. It's a good club though and it is doing well. I can buy two pints.a Martini & lemonade and a glass of orange and still get change out of a fiver.

:rolleyes:

Anybody remember Wincobank & Blackburn WMC on Fife St. Wincobank. I used to go there as a kid with my Parents on Saturday & Sunday nights. Used to have some good "turns" on during the 50's & 60's e.g. Tony White; Tony Dalli; Engleburt (before he changed his name);Ricky Lee & her Husband(Can't remember his name); Fortunes etc.

Concert Secretary was called Doug Jessop who was very strict - you had to keep quiet while the "turn" was on otherwise he'd turn on the room lights and shout "Order Please". In those days you had to be a member and prove it to get in. I'm a member of the Arundel on City Rd now and anybody can walk in there usually. It's a good club though and it is doing well. I can buy two pints.a Martini & lemonade and a glass of orange and still get change out of a fiver.

:rolleyes:

Great memories Beatle thanks for posting

Back in the 1970s :( My Grandad used to take me there on a Sunday lunchtime - pop & crisps while he (along with loads of other steelworkers) played bingo although they called it 'tombola' - it was certainly quiet during that !

The following is a working list of Working Men's, Social, Ex-Service Men's, Social, Social and Sports, Miner's Welfare Clubs in the Sheffield area. There are probably lots of omissions and duplications please add any corrections and contributions at the end of the list and we will copy them into the list with an acknowledgment. If any of the following should not be on the list the fault is mine alone - please let me know. lol

I have left an number of intentionally blank pages within the list for later insertions

Dunsbyowl

Wikipedia - History of WMC IU Union

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Working_Men%2...Institute_Union

CIU Website

http://wmciu.org.uk/

ATTERCLIFFE NON-POLITICAL CLUB

ATTERCLIFFE

SHEFFIELD

1925 Parker, William, sec, Attercliffe Non Political WMC Ltd, 429 Effingham Road