Sheffield History - Then and Now Photo Thread

DaveH

Thanks for those posts Lakin,

They are the first properly presented "Then & Now" shots we have had for quite a long time.

In fact "Then & Now" was becoming something of a dead topic

Well done and many thanks.

The view of Sheffield from Whiterails in about 1840, (unidentified artist, Sheffield Museum collection) and the view from the Bridghouses roundabout/bridge courtesy of Google. I think the Iron Bridge was lost in the Flood. The buildings identified are up for debate, and what was the third church on the horizon, behind the Soho Wheels?.

The buildings identified are up for debate, and what was the third church on the horizon, behind the Soho Wheels?.

The shape of the Church seems to match St. Paul's.

Is this not the Iron Bridge Edmund ?

Vox,

It's the replacement Iron Bridge, on the same site as the original one, opened on Monday 17th July 1865. Mrs Needham of the Bridge Inn held a Celebration Dinner at Six o' Clock (tickets 2s 6d each)

Sheffield High Street 1850, painted by either Joseph Hallam Hawkesworth or Ralph Randolphus Pickford, the viewpoint being the Church Gates by East Parade. The occupants listed are based on Slater's directory 1847 and Leader's "Reminiscences". The buildings go back up to 6 times their width, so there were many occupants at the same number, especially those who did not need a frontage, such as harness makers, shoemakers and even pubs.

Love these Now and Then photos. Some fantastic examples on this site.

Here's one of The Marples Building after the blitz and how it would have looked today. ( B+W image courtesy of Picture Sheffield, )

I would love to have a play around with some of the images on here if permitted of course and just for this site.

Cheers.

I must admit that after massive abuse of our images on various Facebook groups in terms of people "stealing" our pictures (taking them without asking, reposting them without credits or even links to the original and one case even attempting to claim that my pictures were their own!!!) it is very nice to be asked for use of the images first, - thanks for that jase29.

You may use my images for this purpose, there are quite a few of them scattered around the site, and thanks to the copyright abuse in various other places as well.

I appreciate your goodwill in the "for use on this site only", which is how I posted many of my own pictures, - but the ways of the Internet dictate otherwise, it is only a matter of time before someone reposts them elsewhere.

Anyway, see what you can do. I look forward to seeing your results.

DaveH

Many thanks RichardB and DaveH, I totally understand where your coming from DaveH. Being a keen amateur photographer my self, I would rather be asked to use one of my photos than just copy it with out permission. I will enjoy blending some of the photos together having seen how much trouble people have gone to, to get as close as possible to the old photo.

Once again thanks a lot and I'll look forward to posting them.

Thought this was posted by DaveH but it was actually Stuart0742 post ( sorry, hope you don't mind Stuart0742 )

This one is a good one because Stuart0742 actually went back to take a shot in the snow to keep the scene in keeping with the original photo.

Abbey Lane

Thank you Stuart. I like tinkering around in photoshop. I find it relaxing. Heres one from DaveH post of the bottom of the Moor.

Hi Jase29

Stuart0742 has been a close friend of mine for over 47 years, since we met on the first day at secondary school in September 1967.

On Sheffield History we have frequently worked together on images as our irrelevant "banter" will show, so its not surprising that images posted by me and Stuart get confused, - no problem though.

DaveH

Firths East Gun Works on Savile Street East when King Edward VII and Queen Alexandra visited on12th July 1905, and Googled at June 2012. 107 years in the meantime.