Sheffield History - Then and Now Photo Thread

DaveH

Hi Dave

Was St Mary's deconsecrated? I thought they partitioned the inside to make a smaller church and the rest for community use? Or was that an earlier stage?

Hi Dave

Was St Mary's deconsecrated? I thought they partitioned the inside to make a smaller church and the rest for community use? Or was that an earlier stage?

Not really sure here Bayleaf.

I thought it was deconsecrated and later reconsecrated

It is certainly partitioned inside as my son when he was younger went to several parties and events in there, in a room that was clearly a partitioned section.

Its sign outside currently describes it as "St. Mary's church and community centre", indicating that it has both roles and must therefore also be a consecrated church.

Forum Cinema, Herries Road, Longley 1950's & Now a Tescos and a couple of others 2009

Looks as though they may have reused part of the side wall?

Forum Cinema, Herries Road, Longley 1950's & Now a Tescos and a couple of others 2009

Looks as though they may have reused part of the side wall?

Junction of Morland Road and Leighton Drive, Herdings Estate.

THEN is October 1971

NOW is January 2009

That tree has grown a bit, lucky the kids did not pull it down all them years ago

That tree has grown a bit, lucky the kids did not pull it down all them years ago

For a new quiz thread we could have a "spot the difference" one which goes along the lines of, -

"At first glance these 2 pictures appear to be identical but there are 10 hidden differences, - can you find them?"

I think I have suggested this before somewhere but certain members thought it was a real quiz and started offering me answers to 2 pictures which were identical!

My mum used to work in the Spital Hill branch of Ring Fruit. The owner, Ralph had the ambition to have a "ring" of fruit shops around Sheffield but unfortunately only managed three.

It's quite possible that the lorry parked outside was the one driven by my dad who used to collect stuff from the market and deliver it to all three shops

This is a Then and Now of Wadsley Bridge .

The Then photograph was taken about 1968 and looks much better than it does today.

The Then photograph was taken about 1968 and looks much better than it does today.

In the vast majority of then and now pictures I seem to think that the then looks better than the now, - although there are a few exceptions.

Guest alantoft

Here's another one of the City Hall (1974 / 2008)

The City Hall has recently being fully renovated and was closed for around 2 years for this to be done. Although it is now supurb on the inside it still looks exactly the same on the outside.

Main difference here is the pedestrianisation of Barkers Pool as in the '74 shot there are cars driving past (transit / busman / Stuart0742 please note!). Both shots also include the Cenotaph war memorial in Barkers Pool.

When I lived in Sheffield in 1964 the City Hall had the lion statues.

Can anyone tell me when they were removed. I seem to remember they were moved to Matlock Bath??.

When I lived in Sheffield in 1964 the City Hall had the lion statues.

Can anyone tell me when they were removed. I seem to remember they were moved to Matlock Bath??.

Link to photograph of City Hall Lions

And ...

quote: 'tsavo'

"presently located outside the Tarmac company offices in Wolverhampton"

see this post