Sheffield History - Then and Now Photo Thread

DaveH

London Road, Heeley Bottom

showing junction of Broadfield Road on the L/H side.

Could that be 'John Mace' of Mace's Pet shops on the corner?

Needs a date for the 'Then' photo.

Don't know the date for the THEN photo but it was taken at 2 o'clock if we assume the clock outside Wainwrights is correct.

Don't know the date for the THEN photo but it was taken at 2 o'clock if we assume the clock outside Wainwrights is correct.

Even if its stoped it would have been correct twice every a day.

lol

London Road, Heeley Bottom

showing junction of Broadfield Road on the L/H side.

Could that be 'John Mace' of Mace's Pet shops on the corner?

Needs a date for the 'Then' photo,

'Now' is today .. but tomorrow it will be yesterday <_<

The Then photo must be before 1957

No15 Built 1929 at Queens Rd Depot

Withdrawn 1957

Marples, looking up towards Market Pl/Castle Sq

Then Late 50's, borrowed from Admins post about Marples

Now Today Stuart0742

Here Stuart can you do a "now" ( I don't have one) with this old Mottershaw postcard of High Street which must be one of the earliest photographs of Central Sheffield?

Here Stuart can you do a "now" ( I don't have one) with this old Mottershaw postcard of High Street which must be one of the earliest photographs of Central Sheffield?

It's bit on the small size, can you get a bigger scan

Is that any better Stuart?

I don't think we will manage much from this one, BUT its a good idea, find some really old photos for the Then and now, the problem will be quality and size.

Is that any better Stuart?

You have to wonder how Mottershaw got that shot. He must have been up in a tree outside the churchyard - or perhaps perched up on the roof of a cab :)

A very similar image appears in two of my Sheffield 'Picture' books. One is dated 1880 and the other 1892 but the photos are identical. Attribution is the David J. Richardson Collection.

You have to wonder how Mottershaw got that shot. He must have been up in a tree outside the churchyard - or perhaps perched up on the roof of a cab :)

A very similar image appears in two of my Sheffield 'Picture' books. One is dated 1880 and the other 1892 but the photos are identical. Attribution is the David J. Richardson Collection.

This one looks a lot more usable as a then shot.

Just reminds me - FOSTERS

In the Sheffield Dialect thread I quoted my grandads old local expression about "weerse tha bin? back o'FOSTERS?"

Now I know where the back of FOSTERS is!

Gleadless Common in October 1971 and January 2008

The main changes are on the left although it doesn't look it as the house and telegraph pole are both clearly the same.

However the old farm (out of view) has been done up, the school fields have been barriered and beyond a whole new small estate of houses has been developed.

• Like 2

Gleadless Common in October 1971 and January 2008

The main changes are on the left although it doesn't look it as the house and telegraph pole are both clearly the same.

However the old farm (out of view) has been done up, the school fields have been barriered and beyond a whole new small estate of houses has been developed.

With thanks to Stuart0742, here is another version of the previous Then & Now in which the 1971 picture has been cleaned up and some image blemishes (black spots) have been removed

Guest transit

With thanks to Stuart0742, here is another version of the previous Then & Now in which the 1971 picture has been cleaned up and some image blemishes (black spots) have been removed

...Dave did you manage to "source " any pics off Gleadless .net , like i wish i had ,especially the Oaks PK fair departing ,and Hemsworth Rd ,with the "New Inn" pub ????

...Dave did you manage to "source " any pics off Gleadless .net , like i wish i had ,especially the Oaks PK fair departing ,and Hemsworth Rd ,with the "New Inn" pub ????

Sorry transit I didn't manage to get anything of theirs downloaded so that it could be reposted here.

In fact, it's "dissapearance" was something of a suprise. I just didn't expect it to go as it was always a very popular site, very professionally presented and it had several unique pieces of its own, - the Charles Ashmore line drawings, the census statistics, the old maps, - it even had a then & now of gleadless like I am trying to reproduce here, only I am having to use our origan material and not stuff that could have been "salvaged" from gleadless.net

To be a true Then & Now a modern snow scene is required, keep my fingers crossed we will get some decent snow, can't remember the last time though.

Abbey Ln looking towards Beauchief traffic lights, in the days of the trams they turned right to and from Abbeydale Rd Sth.

Also betwwen the time of the 2 photos there was a petrol station on the right where the buildings are just this side of the traffic lights.

Then dated 8th Jan 1959

Now December 2008

Now had some decent snow, therefore I have updated this Then & Now

Now taken 05/02/09

Now had some decent snow, therefore I have updated this Then & Now

Now taken 05/02/09

Yes thats better, the common snow theme makes all the difference

Perhaps while there is still snow around I should go and retake this picture of Ashleigh lower school (Hurlfield Girls school) taken in January 1973, with snow and in January 2009 without the snow. The school was replaced with a small private housing estate in 1988. Picture taken from Ashleigh school field just off Gleadless Common (see previous Gleadless then & now, or Gleadless Pictures thread.

Perhaps while there is still snow around I should go and retake this picture of Ashleigh lower school (Hurlfield Girls school) taken in January 1973, with snow and in January 2009 without the snow. The school was replaced with a small private housing estate in 1988. Picture taken from Ashleigh school field just off Gleadless Common (see previous Gleadless then & now, or Gleadless Pictures thread.

A then & now taken from the other Ashleigh school, the old Central tec. on Gleadless Road. This school has also been demolished and it was difficult to get a suitable location for the Now shot as the then is taken from the top floor of a building which no longer exists.

Then is June 1973

Now is January 2009

A then & now taken from the other Ashleigh school, the old Central tec. on Gleadless Road. This school has also been demolished and it was difficult to get a suitable location for the Now shot as the then is taken from the top floor of a building which no longer exists.

Then is June 1973

Now is January 2009

Just along Gleadless Road to Gleadless Townend. a then & now of the service station at townend previously posted in "those Gleadless pictures". Note the subtle changes like which company owns the petrol station as well as the more obvious like those Supertram lines.

Then and Now of the botanical gardens

Then is August 1976, when those tropical houses were guarded by the main door being flanked by a couple of less than friendly macaws

Now is July 2005, not exactly now but it was after the most recent refurbishment

The Herdings allotments

This public footpath through the allotments forms a short cut between Herdings terminus and Gleadless Townend.

See the thread "Those Gleadless Pictures" for further details.

THEN is October 1971

NOW is January 2009

St. Mary's church in May 1973 and Febuary 2009

Starting from 1973, -

First, the clock didn't work, - our school technician and a group of dedicated students put that to rights, later handing the job over to Sheffield University

Then there was a murder in the church

Then they wanted to widen and extend St Mary's gate so they exhumed the churchyard cemetry and reinterred the graves at Hutcliffe Wood, half the church's land became road with that semi hole in the road underpass in front of it

Then it was deconsecrated as a church and became a community centre

That's a lot of change even though the building doesn't look significantly different. a sand blasting between the picture dates has certainly cleaned the building up, although the original picture is in black and white the building was in fact black.

The clock was originally repaired in 1973 by the Norfolk school technician Peter Harrison and a team of students including, amongst others, Wayne Beckett.

At one time this massive clock was driven by a 12v meccano motor and suitable gearing!!!

Eventually the clock restoration went to the Sheffield University department of engineering, - and it still works today.