Sheffield History - Then and Now Photo Thread

DaveH

Early years Jenkin Road Brightside, then Canada, then Ecclesfiled ,then Ellerton Road off Hucklow Rd!

The other side of the park from us then. Similar areas of residence though I grew up in Firth Park then lived in High Green now Canada

Just a thought.

I have from Santa Fine Art Views of Sheffield and District, early 1900's - presumably out of copyright, I'm willing to scan (high resolution) the 120 photographs for inclusion in this thread if people are willing to work on "now" photographs.

I know the SheffieldHistory version of this book will be better than the original - I am rather disappointed with it.

I've been "Conspicuous only by its absence" (Album title, Band ?, year ?, who did they become ?) and I'd like to contribute without getting in the way of others efforts.

Just a thought.

I have from Santa Fine Art Views of Sheffield and District, early 1900's - presumably out of copyright, I'm willing to scan (high resolution) the 120 photographs for inclusion in this thread if people are willing to work on "now" photographs.

I know the SheffieldHistory version of this book will be better than the original - I am rather disappointed with it.

I've been "Conspicuous only by its absence" (Album title, Band ?, year ?, who did they become ?) and I'd like to contribute without getting in the way of others efforts.

Any decent photo/picture can be considered if it is at all possible to get a "Now" shot.

A few well chosen then and now's would be good. Post a few good examples in this thread and lets have a look.

Heres a picture which appears to be at the end of a roll of FP4 from my 1974 Sheffield tour.

As such I have not recorded any details of it and my wife, more familiar with Attercliffe than myself, cannot place it precisely.

Someone must know the exact location, all I can say is it was taken further up Attercliffe Common than my "Banners" shot as it follows it as the last shot on the roll.

I didn't really know where to post this and having considered "mystery location" and then ruled that out because if suggestions were offered I would be unable to confirm the answer (besides which, most mystery locations are current, "where IS this" and not yet historical "where WAS this" in nature)

I deceided to post here because as one of my 1974 shots it is definately a "THEN" and hopefully someone will not only tell me what I want to know (the location) but will also be able to provide a "NOW" shot which I assume, knowing what has happened to Attercliffe in the last 30 years, will be totally different.

And just for Transit / Bus man / Stuart0742 there are a few interesting old cars in the forground for easy identification.

Guest plain talker

Dave, the sign on the building directly above the (viva?) and the white Austin Maxi reads

"Jonas Colver

Novo Steel works"

The steeple of the church, to the right of the central chimney looks like the (now demolished) church on Ellesmere Road (All saints? although it could be the old St Peters, Ellesmere) and to the left of the telegraph pole (again centre of the picture) looks like Ellesmere School.

Does the sign on the end of the building (again above the Maxi) read something like Marple and Gillott LTD, (she says, squinting? darn my poor resolution when I magnify it!)

I would hazard a guess at this being in the area near twelve o'clock court, taken from the Effingham road-ish side of Attercliffe Road/ Saville St, facing up the hill to Ellesmere burngreave. probably near the junction of Lyons St and Carlisle St E.

Guest plain talker

Dave, the sign on the building directly above the (viva?) and the white Austin Maxi reads

"Jonas Colver

Novo Steel works"

The steeple of the church, to the right of the central chimney looks like the (now demolished) church on Ellesmere Road (All saints? although it could be the old St Peters, Ellesmere) and to the left of the telegraph pole (again centre of the picture) looks like Ellesmere School.

Does the sign on the end of the building (again above the Maxi) read something like Marple and Gillott LTD, (she says, squinting? darn my poor resolution when I magnify it!)

I would hazard a guess at this being in the area near twelve o'clock court, taken from the Effingham road-ish side of Attercliffe Road/ Saville St, facing up the hill to Ellesmere burngreave. probably near the junction of Lyons St and Carlisle St E.

Correction to the above comment Re 12 o'clock court:- 12 o'clock court is nearer the bottom of Spital hill than I remembered. I still think it's in the vicinity of the bottom of Lyons St.

Heres a picture which appears to be at the end of a roll of FP4 from my 1974 Sheffield tour.

As such I have not recorded any details of it and my wife, more familiar with Attercliffe than myself, cannot place it precisely.

Someone must know the exact location, all I can say is it was taken further up Attercliffe Common than my "Banners" shot as it follows it as the last shot on the roll.

I didn't really know where to post this and having considered "mystery location" and then ruled that out because if suggestions were offered I would be unable to confirm the answer (besides which, most mystery locations are current, "where IS this" and not yet historical "where WAS this" in nature)

I deceided to post here because as one of my 1974 shots it is definately a "THEN" and hopefully someone will not only tell me what I want to know (the location) but will also be able to provide a "NOW" shot which I assume, knowing what has happened to Attercliffe in the last 30 years, will be totally different.

And just for Transit / Bus man / Stuart0742 there are a few interesting old cars in the forground for easy identification.

I suspect the photo was taken from the left hand side of Stephenson Road (going towards town) ....... the sign reads "Jonas A Colver Ltd, Novo Steelworks" the building to the left of the sign with the three panels, where the offices of Jonas Colver, 27 Birch Road.

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/pi...ff.refno=c01047

On the skyline in the background is the spire of All Saints Church, Sutherland Road, which was reputed to have the highest (not tallest) spire in Sheffield.

Thanks for all the observant detective work on that one plain talker and Dr Stanley.

Like I thought it was not really a difficult mystery location but I had completely forgotten where I was 34 years ago when the picture was taken and this is an area of town I am not really familiar with.

I bet it doesn't look anything like that now though.

Anyone up for going and taking the matching NOW shot for a "then & now"?

Perhaps my old partner in crime Stuart0742 will be up for it again, - unless someone else wants to rise to the challenge.

Thanks for all the observant detective work on that one plain talker and Dr Stanley.

Like I thought it was not really a difficult mystery location but I had completely forgotten where I was 34 years ago when the picture was taken and this is an area of town I am not really familiar with.

Perhaps my old partner in crime Stuart0742 will be up for it again, - unless someone else wants to rise to the challenge.

Passing through the "cliffe" this afternoon ..... so unless someone posts first, I will see what I can do.

Guest transit

Passing through the "cliffe" this afternoon ..... so unless someone posts first, I will see what I can do.

....Stevenson Road , Attercliffe , just out of shot to the left was the Foundry WM Club /Top Spot Snooker Club , and to the right i/2 mile further is Hesselwoods Scrap Steel merchants.

The car at the front is a Hillman Hunter . ;-)

When I worked at River Don Works ,the building in the centre of the photo was where the Admiralty steel testing inspectors had their offices.

Guest plain talker

I suspect the photo was taken from the left hand side of Stephenson Road (going towards town) ....... the sign reads "Jonas A Colver Ltd, Novo Steelworks" the building to the left of the sign with the three panels, where the offices of Jonas Colver, 27 Birch Road.

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/pi...ff.refno=c01047

On the skyline in the background is the spire of All Saints Church, Sutherland Road, which was reputed to have the highest (not tallest) spire in Sheffield.

So, I wasn't too far out in my "guesstimate" of the location. I was right-ish about the spire of the church.

Can someone tell me what the difference was, between All Saints being the "highest" spire and the "tallest" spire? it's got me a bit "confuzzled".

So, I wasn't too far out in my "guesstimate" of the location. I was right-ish about the spire of the church.

Can someone tell me what the difference was, between All Saints being the "highest" spire and the "tallest" spire? it's got me a bit "confuzzled".

To be the tallest spire it has to be built taller in height, from the ground to its apex, than any other tower. so clearly a building which is 200 feet tall is taller than one which is 100 feet tall.

To be higher than another spire depends on where it is built. Again on top of a hill is clearly higher than the bottom of a valley.

So a 100 foot spire built on a hill 1000 feet above sea level would be higher than a 200 foot spire built in a location only 600 feet above sea level, even though the latter spire is in fact taller.

I was done there just before Christmas, took a couple of photo's of the Fondry Workers club on Stevenson Rd, I did not go down Stevenson Rd, but continued on to Banners.

As Transit says the building at the front left is the Foundry Workers Club

As you can see the "now" shot is no longer possible, there are now industrial units in the way.

Is that a Triumph TR3 that I see.

Guest transit

I was done there just before Christmas, took a couple of photo's of the Fondry Workers club on Stevenson Rd, I did not go down Stevenson Rd, but continued on to Banners.

As Transit says the building at the front left is the Foundry Workers Club

....just to mention the "new" Foundry Workers Club is still going strong some 40 ? years after re-location just below Manor Park Centre !!!! :o

A three way view of the Wicker Arches

Pre 1954 (before electrification of the railway)

December 2008

Interesting little motor bike in the middle photo.

When I worked at River Don Works ,the building in the centre of the photo was where the Admiralty steel testing inspectors had their offices.

A couple of close ups :-

Does anyone know the significance of the imagery on the panels, JC obviously for Jonas A Colver Ltd, but what about the spectacles?

Guest plain talker

To be the tallest spire it has to be built taller in height, from the ground to its apex, than any other tower. so clearly a building which is 200 feet tall is taller than one which is 100 feet tall.

To be higher than another spire depends on where it is built. Again on top of a hill is clearly higher than the bottom of a valley.

So a 100 foot spire built on a hill 1000 feet above sea level would be higher than a 200 foot spire built in a location only 600 feet above sea level, even though the latter spire is in fact taller.

Ok..... that is sort of what I thought, initially, but surely the church, St Marks at Broomhill, being almost at the top of the hill upon which the Hallamshire hospital stands, and the church near Tapton School at Ranmoor, not to mention the Spire of St Columba's at Crosspool and the spire of the church within the General Cemetery are in a far more elevated position than All-Saints? Even St Peter's Ellesmere and the chapel of Burngreave Cemetery (which also has a spire) are higher up the hill than All saints, surely?

This really has me puzzled, now. *scratches head in a bemused manner*

A three way view of the Wicker Arches

Pre 1954 (before electrification of the railway)

December 2008

Interesting little motor bike in the middle photo.

And is that a Rovverum Corporation bus ?