Sheffield History - Then and Now Photo Thread

DaveH

....following on -please give your support - as i am sure you will- that this "NOW & THEN " topic should have its own subtitle in the main menu? :unsure:

I have noticed several variations on the now and then theme (night and day / now and 2 thens / Now and 20 minutes before etc.)

There are even several now and then pictures in other threads recent developments / prisoners of war / Firth park.)

Rather than have this topic, as it is, with the now and then pictures and our random ramblings about 3 minis and the like as a seperate section I would be more in favour of having a sort of "now and then gallery" as a seperate section which included just the now and then pictures, perhaps with a brief description of the location and the now and then dates but no more.

The current thread is already a sort of "members working area" which could easily provide all the raw material for such a gallery.

After all it is the pictures which have made this topic so popular and the pictures which are a growing major resource for the site.

I have noticed several variations on the now and then theme (night and day / now and 2 thens / Now and 20 minutes before etc.)

There are even several now and then pictures in other threads recent developments / prisoners of war / Firth park.)

Rather than have this topic, as it is, with the now and then pictures and our random ramblings about 3 minis and the like as a seperate section I would be more in favour of having a sort of "now and then gallery" as a seperate section which included just the now and then pictures, perhaps with a brief description of the location and the now and then dates but no more.

The current thread is already a sort of "members working area" which could easily provide all the raw material for such a gallery.

After all it is the pictures which have made this topic so popular and the pictures which are a growing major resource for the site.

What about opening a new folder in the Sheffield History photo 'Members Gallery' ?

Copies of the existing could all go together then,

but it would have to be updated and managed by the member who starts it,

or a moderator.

What about opening a new folder in the Sheffield History photo 'Gallery' ?

Copies of the existing could all go together then,

but it would have to be updated and managed by the member who starts it,

or a moderator.

Not really used the gallery much at all yet SteveHB

Only had a quick look at some boozer pictures (public houses) put on by Poppychristina so not really familiar with this section of the site.

Guest transit

.....as i suggested last night in the "Introductions and Site Suggestions " thread ! ;-)

Another combined Then and Now using a DaveH original, again not quite the correct vantage point

This photo demonstrates the problems when taking photos in modern Sheffield, that is road signs and the like, there is just more of them today.

Changed the Now photo, still not 100% happy but almost there, at least you can see Norfolk Bridge now

Changed the Now photo, still not 100% happy but almost there, at least you can see Norfolk Bridge now

Still prefer this one to the previous one though.

Makes it much easier to match up what is still there, what has changed and what has completely gone.

Gallery updated with you're new photo

Not much luck trying to stich photos but here is firth park from the 1950's to 2007

Are these the pictures I have previously commented on as being a seperate then and now in the Firth Park thread? Or are they some different ones?

b/w from mickjj

colour Stuart0742 22/11/08

Things look totally different in these 2 views, a bit like my one of the Carlton.

Are you going to give us dates and the location or is it another of those mystery ones?

Are these the pictures I have previously commented on as being a seperate then and now in the Firth Park thread? Or are they some different ones?

No they are the same ones I used in the other thread

No they are the same ones I used in the other thread

Must be the approach of Christmas - thoughts turn to home I must have been e-mailing these to myself at work at the same time as you!

Must be the approach of Christmas - thoughts turn to home I must have been e-mailing these to myself at work at the same time as you!

Many thanks to Dunsbyowl for providing these then and now pictures of Firth Park.

Being from the south of Sheffield it is not an area that either I or Stuart hve any pictures of so these will fill a rather large gap in our coverage. I only ever used to go up Firth Park for ten pin bowling, and to drive through it on my way to visit a friend a Shiregreen. Pity really, I must try to get out and see more of my own City.

Thanks as well to Stuart for joining the pictures together into the "then and now" format.

As we have said before if members have suitable pictures for the then and now then post them here. If you don't know how to join the pictures just post them like Dunsbyowl did and one of us (DaveH, Stuart0742 or SteveHB) will be able to do it for you quickly and easily.

We are always on the look out for suitable THEN pictures to go out and take a matching NOW for.

Did you grow up in the Firth Park area as well? If so where abouts. I lived on Fairthorn road for nearly twenty years.

Did you grow up in the Firth Park area as well? If so where abouts. I lived on Fairthorn road for nearly twenty years.

Early years Jenkin Road Brightside, then Canada, then Ecclesfiled ,then Ellerton Road off Hucklow Rd!