Sheffield History - Then and Now Photo Thread

DaveH

Then and Then a few minutes later

The 2 photo's are very similar, they were taken on the same day, perhaps minutes apart.

Both trams and buses are different, the trams are going in different directions, however the steam engine is the same, there are some wagons behind the engine in one photo

I would not like to say which order they were taken in.

The train in the second picture is further forward than in the first pic. Also the wagons were not attached to the engine and look as if they are on the opposite track going in the other direction. You can also see the engine driver in the first and not in the second so it suggets that the second pic was taken after the first. Finally, and this is real geek time, the shadow from the beacon on the crossing is almost identical so the pics must have been taken within minutes if not a few seconds.

• Like 1

Isn't the small van behind the bus on the bottom picture, the first in the line of three waiting to cross the junction on the top one. Don't know where the other two have gone though, maybe turned left.

The train in the second picture is further forward than in the first pic. Also the wagons were not attached to the engine and look as if they are on the opposite track going in the other direction. You can also see the engine driver in the first and not in the second so it suggets that the second pic was taken after the first. Finally, and this is real geek time, the shadow from the beacon on the crossing is almost identical so the pics must have been taken within minutes if not a few seconds.

I agree with Stuart0742 the trams are different, one's number 218 and the other is numbered 170 Darnall.

Isn't the small van behind the bus on the bottom picture, the first in the line of three waiting to cross the junction on the top one. Don't know where the other two have gone though, maybe turned left.

Not 100% sure about the van, what happened to the bus coming down Spital Hill,

The traffic and the pedestrians have moved a considerable distance between the 2 pictures but the locomotive has hardly moved at, less than the walking pace of the pedestrians in fact.

So superman does exist! A man can move faster than a speeding locomotive!

Guest transit

The traffic and the pedestrians have moved a considerable distance between the 2 pictures but the locomotive has hardly moved at, less than the walking pace of the pedestrians in fact.

So superman does exist! A man can move faster than a speeding locomotive!

Dave - dont want to state the obvious - but railways have traffic lights (signals) too !!!!!!!!!!!!!! he he

Dave - dont want to state the obvious - but railways have traffic lights (signals) too !!!!!!!!!!!!!! he he

So if a red railway light stops the train right on top of the Wicker Arches a picture like this would not be as classic and out of the ordinary as we first thought then. just take up your camera position and wait for the lights to turn to red and stop the train and then take several pictures in rapid succession before the lights change again. Could account for the fact that there are so many similar but slightly different pictures of this view in existance.

So if a red railway light stops the train right on top of the Wicker Arches a picture like this would not be as classic and out of the ordinary as we first thought then. just take up your camera position and wait for the lights to turn to red and stop the train and then take several pictures in rapid succession before the lights change again. Could account for the fact that there are so many similar but slightly different pictures of this view in existance.

The tracks over the Wicker Arches were at the western end of the platforms, a network of points and signals. It would be common practise for locomotives to come off their trains pull forward onto the Wicker Arches and await clearence to reverse back through the other platforms. At this time the loco depot would have been Darnall, Neepsend having closed in 1943.

Guest transit

....yeah! summat like that !!!! Busman would know more , but dont forget - just behind the train was (at this time ) the very busy Victoria Station - and - i presume - all trains around that area would have been VERY slow -obviuosly- ,as they were approaching /leaving , and would have been very restricted due to the obvious signalling/safety ! ---having said all this , i must admit , i have seen a picture of a train -almost a blur- travelling at speed -over the arches ,but probably just before closure ,when down to a single line ,so you can never tell!!!!!!!!! all i can say is ,it would be nice to retake this scene! ;-)

Notice also, what appear to be damp patches to the sides of the traffic island seem to be the same in both pictures. This doesn't settle which came first, but assures they were taken aroud the same time, on the same day

Then and Then a few minutes later

The 2 photo's are very similar, they were taken on the same day, perhaps minutes apart.

Both trams and buses are different, the trams are going in different directions, however the steam engine is the same, there are some wagons behind the engine in one photo

I would not like to say which order they were taken in.

Guest transit

Notice also, what appear to be damp patches to the sides of the traffic island seem to be the same in both pictures. This doesn't settle which came first, but assures they were taken aroud the same time, on the same day

.....yes youre right - -the train is obviously waiting at the lights (although crept a couple of feet ,as we all do at lights!) which are seen in front of it ,and can ,as i know on train journeys ,can be sat at lights for many minutes , (like at level crossings ect) which will have gave ample time for another bus/tram -and same train -combo pic !!!

Guest transit

I Have a numbered print of this on my wall at home. I wonder if Eric Bottemly the artist stood in the same spot as the photographer

....notice the old Sheffield street lamp , far right , - one was preserved and is on view at Sandtoft Transport Centre , Doncaster,which you can see here .... :o

I agree with Stuart0742 the trams are different, one's number 218 and the other is numbered 170 Darnall.

The buses are different also. If you look the advertisment on the side of the buses are not the same

I Have a numbered print of this on my wall at home. I wonder if Eric Bottemly the artist stood in the same spot as the photographer

Interestimg print mickjj.

It was a print like this which appeared earlier which started off a discussion as to what came first the painting or the photo and a similar painting was displayed.

I thought at the time that the artist may have been Mick Rick but as you have a numbered print we now know that the artist was Eric Bottomley.

Did he do a lot of work in this style covering local scenes?

It was a print like this which appeared earlier which started off a discussion as to what came first the painting or the photo and a similar painting was displayed.

I thought at the time that the artist may have been Mick Rick but as you have a numbered print we now know that the artist was Eric Bottomley.

I have another photo by the same photographer and the same location, different direction taken 2 years before these 2. Obviously a favourite location.

Did I say these 2 were taken on 19/10/57

I have another photo by the same photographer and the same location, different direction taken 2 years before these 2. Obviously a favourite location.

Did I say these 2 were taken on 19/10/57

A bit of an appeal on this one, if anybody has suitable "Then" photo's where it is still possible to get a "Now" version let me or DaveH know, contact us by PM.

Moving away from the Wicker, but keeping a Railway theme

I think the B/W is 1963/64, will stand corrected. What year did they build Hyde Park Flats?

A bit of an appeal on this one, if anybody has suitable "Then" photo's where it is still possible to get a "Now" version let me or DaveH know, contact us by PM.

Then again, someone may just have an interesting "Now" picture for which we have or can find a suitable "Then" picture to match it. As we have both been around for some time we have a lot of "then's", going back about 40 years in our own personal archives and even further in stuff we've scrounged from various places.

The overhead wires for the trains are missing was it earlier or were they just missed out by the painter?

jiginc

Guest transit

The overhead wires for the trains are missing was it earlier or were they just missed out by the painter?

jiginc

....probably just "artists licence" where every little detail would have looked too cluttered in a painting ;-)

He has done similar paintings from all over britain they really are fantastic. Take a look at some of his works here

http://www.eb-prints.co.uk/

Guest transit

He has done similar paintings from all over britain they really are fantastic. Take a look at some of his works here

http://www.eb-prints.co.uk/

....another local artist ,my favourite , though no longer with us, is Peter Owen-Jones. His nostalgic pictures really capture the atmosphere and time past feel of old Sheffield . Some of his works can be seen at , www.peterowenjones.co.uk , where large prints can be bought, although postcard-sized pics are available at local shops.