Sheffield History - Then and Now Photo Thread

DaveH

I do like the comparison shot, but as Stuart0742 has said, it does look as though a lot of reference points have gone.

Pity that road sign is in the way as well, its blocking seeing the bridge itself.

A bit off the wall this one.

The Then is a better photo than the Now photo. It just caught my eye for some reason.

All the old buildings have gone along this stretch of Saville St, just this ghostly reminder of what was once there. Now phot taken 03/12/08.

The excellent Then photo is by Hjdary.

Excellent picture!!!

Lovely comparison. Looking at the internal structure of the central building in the pictures, i think the Matthews building was long beyond recovery even if it had been attempted to save it.

Great work recording this stuff - all of you - not just this one. I like the then and Nows, brings it home when Then and Now are close as in the case of demolition.

Thank You.

No the FERODO advertisment is long gone. Tried getting a photo in the outher direction, not easy, no point of reference, as I think Danny said the tall 'Modern' type building has been modernised again. Plus all the old buildings have gone on this part of Saville st and if thats not enough today there was low sun in your face. Would you also believe the Vauxhall garage is empty.

Which Vauxhall dealers is it that has gone?

Is it the one in this (yet another 1974 picture of Saville Street, - where the hell do I keep getting them from!!) picture of Bentleys the Vauxhall - Bedford dealers near to the old Furnival steel works?

Or is it the one on Saville Street which was Charles Clark Vauxhall? I thought this one was still trading as part of the Pentagon Vauxhall group, like the other one on Ecclesall Road.

If the Vauxhall dealers are closing where am I going to take my Corsa for MOT servicing and repairs?

Is it the one in this (yet another 1974 picture of Saville Street, - where the hell do I keep getting them from!!) picture of Bentleys the Vauxhall - Bedford dealers near to the old Furnival steel works?

Or is it the one on Saville Street which was Charles Clark Vauxhall? I thought this one was still trading as part of the Pentagon Vauxhall group, like the other one on Ecclesall Road.

If the Vauxhall dealers are closing where am I going to take my Corsa for MOT servicing and repairs?

Its the one that was Charles Clarks, then Hartwells and then Pentagon. I think they have moved up near Makro somewhere.

Its the one that was Charles Clarks, then Hartwells and then Pentagon. I think they have moved up near Makro somewhere.

Another Then & Now based on DaveH's excellent series of photos.

Not the best Now photo due to the sun being low and in front of the camera, but it illustrates the comparison.

As previously said, all the old buildings have just about gone along this stretch, even the sixties office block has been transformed into something else. I believe this is a renovation not a demolition/rebuild.

To the left of the photo where John holdings and Co was is a new build carpark for the newly renovated office block.

DaveH,

Great picture, is that a cropped picture I would love to know the registration of the Bedford Dormobile. My father had one just like it and spent some time in Bentlys getting parts. It would be great if it was his.

jiginc

DaveH,

Great picture, is that a cropped picture I would love to know the registration of the Bedford Dormobile. My father had one just like it and spent some time in Bentlys getting parts. It would be great if it was his.

jiginc

Hi jiginc

The picture is a scan from a 35mm negative and is not cropped.

As the negative scanner sometimes automatically crops a small margin to give a neat edge I have checked the original negative for you.

Unfortunately the registration numbers of these vehicles do not appear to be in the frame.

Sorry.

I need to be a few yards back towards town for the correct view, not bad for a guess from memory. Will have to try again. B/W from DaveH

Slightly different Now shot

Moving things out of the City a bit, but I posted this on the POW thread and it was suggested I copy here so here it is.

It's views of the Lodge Moor POW camp when it was a battalion base in 1915 and from the same point in 2008.

To the bottom right of the Now picture you can just see one of the huts that was used in the camp. In need of a bit of attention but it has been moved a couple of times since its days on the camp. It was at one point the Church (St Luke's) on Blackbrook Rd / Blackbrook Drive corner in which I was christened, before being moved again in the late 60s to the farm below Roper Hill here.

When is the 'then' picture from Stuart?

My mum remembers arriving in Sheffield at Victoria station late fifties/early sixties from Portsmouth. I am sure she would like that pic as it is one of the clearest shots of the station approach I have seen

It looks very cluttered and crowded now.

Was the 'now' shot from yesterday?

Slightly different Now shot

I prefer this second one as the buildings on the left make it quite clear that this is the same location.

When is the 'then' picture from Stuart?

My mum remembers arriving in Sheffield at Victoria station late fifties/early sixties from Portsmouth. I am sure she would like that pic as it is one of the clearest shots of the station approach I have seen

It looks very cluttered and crowded now.

Was the 'now' shot from yesterday?

Danny

The Then photo is from another topic about Victoria Station, and quite small in size that is the reason I have scaled my Now shot down. The entire then and now is only 672x961 pixels.

The Now shot was taken Friday 5/12/08

Guest transit

Danny

The Then photo is from another topic about Victoria Station, and quite small in size that is the reason I have scaled my Now shot down. The entire then and now is only 672x961 pixels.

The Now shot was taken Friday 5/12/08

...the vehicles help somewhat on the "then" pic. - Theres a couple of Ford Anglias at the bottom of the Approach (sold from 1959) = but the newist in the pic is the Minivan -centre which didnt go on sale till 1960 (mini car on sale 1959) -so the pic could be around early to mid 60's. Hope this helps.... ;-)

It's one of the three statues of Vulcan that we have in the city centre, the other two being atop the Lyceum Dome, and atop the town hall tower.

That one, on Hornes' wall used to scare the bejabers out of me as a kid.

This is supposed to be Vulcan?

I thought it was just some sort of company logo, possibly for an insurance company.

To be honest, if this is Vulcan, the Roman god of fire and metalworkers, the god who lifts the burning sun into the sky each day with a pair of tongs, then lifts it out each night and quenches it in the sea then it looks a weak for a god of such power, this looks more like Vulcan the god of page 6 columnists in the Star who write the editorial, the god of journalists with nothing useful to say but just summarise the rest of the news instead.

I prefer the one on top of the town hall. Take a look at my avitar! (OK so its the moon and not the sun, but I did "borrow" the picture from elsewhere).

Another then and now. The Carlton Cinema at the corner of Eastern Avenue and Errington Road

The first picture I ever posted on Sheffield History was the top one of the Carlton cinema when Tsavo was looking for a picture of this cinema of which at the time there were no known pictures. This THEN picture dates from 1971.

As my mum still lives in the same house on Eastern Avenue taking the NOW photo when I visited her recently was no real hastle. The Cinema was demolished in 1999 and these old peoples wardened flats took its place.

Guest transit

Another then and now. The Carlton Cinema at the corner of Eastern Avenue and Errington Road

The first picture I ever posted on Sheffield History was the top one of the Carlton cinema when Tsavo was looking for a picture of this cinema of which at the time there were no known pictures. This THEN picture dates from 1971.

As my mum still lives in the same house on Eastern Avenue taking the NOW photo when I visited her recently was no real hastle. The Cinema was demolished in 1999 and these old peoples wardened flats took its place.

....thanks for that Dave ! - did you notice the exact same telegraph pole ? !!!!!! :o

....thanks for that Dave ! - did you notice the exact same telegraph pole ? !!!!!! :o

Yes its the same pole

Unfortunately the then picture was taken through mums window and the now out in the street so in the then picture the bottom of it is masked by mums privet hedge and you can't see the road and junction to fix bearings on easily so the telegraph pole is a good point of reference here. Those street light have moved about a bit though.

I took it upon myself to pin this topic as more than any other it represents the changes to our fair city. Hope no one minds. Keep up the good work. Someone in another topic mentioned a calander to me this kind of picture would be perfect.

I took it upon myself to pin this topic as more than any other it represents the changes to our fair city. Hope no one minds. Keep up the good work. Someone in another topic mentioned a calander to me this kind of picture would be perfect.

Thanks mickjj

First topic that I have started that has become pinned

As I said at the start I got the idea from something SteveHB did with one of my pictures in recent developments, a comparison of views taken a few years apart. I enjoyed finding out my own old pictures for the site and decided to retake some of them to do then and now shots. Fortunately several other members thought likewise and have joined in by offering then and nows of their own. As a result it is surprising how rapidly this thread has grown, over 120 posts and over 1600 views in just a month! Admittedly not everyone is a then and now picture but I also appreciate the comments and discussions that the pictures themselves have generated.

By pinning the topic hopefully it will, by staying at the top of the listing bring in even more views, picture pairs and discussions as it continues to grow.

As for the calendar, that started as a casual comment between myself and my friend of many years Stuart0742 but others seem to have shown interest in what was just an idea. If others wish to develop this into a finished product then that would be great.

That's a "Then and Then" photo !

More please, how about Then and Before Then ?

or ... Then and 20 minutes before Then going back over 87 years - a montage ...

OK RichardB, here's a then and now which is not far off a then and 40 minutes before then

Top picture is the Peace Gardens, Saturday 6 December 2008 at about 8:40 am

Bottom picture is Peace Gardens, Saturday 6 December 2008 at about 9:20 am

I assume the bloke in the Town Hall who gets paid for switching the New Goodwin Fountain on and off each day (to save water?) starts work at 9 o'clock on Saturday and puts it on especially for those getting married in the Town Hall on Saturday morning to have their wedding photos taken in front of it.

• Like 1

Hi jiginc

The picture is a scan from a 35mm negative and is not cropped.

As the negative scanner sometimes automatically crops a small margin to give a neat edge I have checked the original negative for you.

Unfortunately the registration numbers of these vehicles do not appear to be in the frame.

Sorry.

Thanks for looking DaveH.

JIGINC

Very strange a similar picture that must have been taken only a few seconds before this one is listed on Ebay!!!!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Sheffield-tram-bus-r...1127111002r1534

Then and Then a few minutes later

The 2 photo's are very similar, they were taken on the same day, perhaps minutes apart.

Both trams and buses are different, the trams are going in different directions, however the steam engine is the same, there are some wagons behind the engine in one photo

I would not like to say which order they were taken in.