Sheffield History - Then and Now Photo Thread

DaveH

It's one of the three statues of Vulcan that we have in the city centre, the other two being atop the Lyceum Dome, and atop the town hall tower.

That one, on Hornes' wall used to scare the bejabers out of me as a kid.

OOOHH, there are FIVE statues of Vulcan around the City. Technically one is not quite a statue but can anyone locate the others?

Guest plain talker

the modern one is taken from almost the same place as the first one with the messerschmitt.

(I think that the first one must have been taken originally from the first or 2nd floor of Walshes, judging from the height and angle

the modern one is taken from almost the same place as the first one with the messerschmitt.

(I think that the first one must have been taken originally from the first or 2nd floor of Walshes, judging from the height and angle

I could have done with being a little to the left on today's photo, but like everywhere nowadays there is so much stuff that gets in the way, also the GT News kiosk was to my left. I would agree with the 1st floor of Walshs for the top photo.

Guest transit

Harmer Ln

....then and now ???? a bus photo with NO Sheaf Valley Baths in the background???? tut tut ................here you go.....

Guest plain talker

....then and now ???? a bus photo with NO Sheaf Valley Baths in the background???? tut tut ................here you go.....

and, "yaaay" my grandma's flat on Park Hill, there in the background *beams happily*.

and, "yaaay" my grandma's flat on Park Hill, there in the background *beams happily*.

Then Then and Now

plus PT's Grandma's flat

Middle picture is Transits

Then Then and Now

plus PT's Grandma's flat

I think my grandmothers old flat is on these pictures as well.

Not quite sure which one it is but it was on Hague row and did look out towards Sheaf Street / Pond Street. Got a good view of this area from up there but somehow never bothered to take a picture!

Another 1974 / 2008 pair of then and nows

This time the cathedral.

Not much of a change in 34 years in the actual building itself, but since 1994 there has been a Supertram stop in front of it, making it difficult to get exactly the same viewpoint. However, been taken at the same time of day and the same time of year (winter) that low sun has glared on the cathedral clock in both pictures!

Here's another one of the City Hall (1974 / 2008)

The City Hall has recently being fully renovated and was closed for around 2 years for this to be done. Although it is now supurb on the inside it still looks exactly the same on the outside.

Main difference here is the pedestrianisation of Barkers Pool as in the '74 shot there are cars driving past (transit / busman / Stuart0742 please note!). Both shots also include the Cenotaph war memorial in Barkers Pool.

Guest plain talker

Then Then and Now

plus PT's Grandma's flat

Middle picture is Transits

In the top picture of the three, you can only just see my gran's flat, as the thing that looks like a telegraph pole that runs completely the length of the picture, (beside the striped pole) partially obscures it

(you can see her living room, mind you, the very top one of the row of living rooms, just beside the bump on the telegraph pole) you can see it better on the middle and lower pictures. (on the middle, it's the topmost double height balcony immediately to the left of the lamp post. Number 155 Norwich Row.)

odd, though.. you can't see the mop on either of the earlier two pictures, that my gran always used to keep hanging upside down on the balcony. it looked from a little way away, like someone with white hair standing on the balcony.

It used to fool my poorly-sighted grandpa on many occasions, as he's be waving to it as he walked home from work, thinking it was my Gran, looking out for him! he he lol

Very strange a similar picture that must have been taken only a few seconds before this one is listed on Ebay!!!!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Sheffield-tram-bus-r...1127111002r1534

Very similar photos, perhaps the same photographer, same viewpoint

the one on the Then and Now the train is further along the viaduct, not sure about the tram & bus the ebay photo is to low res. Less traffic on Spital Hill. But yes a similar photo very spooky

But then again as has already be said on this topic a clasic photo.

Very similar photos, perhaps the same photographer, same viewpoint

the one on the Then and Now the train is further along the viaduct, not sure about the tram & bus the ebay photo is to low res. Less traffic on Spital Hill. But yes a similar photo very spooky

But then again as has already be said on this topic a clasic photo.

Certainly a classic.

This picture seems to be available in both photographic form and as a piece of painted artwork.

In some versions I am sure that train is going the other way!

In the top picture of the three, you can only just see my gran's flat, as the thing that looks like a telegraph pole that runs completely the length of the picture, (beside the striped pole) partially obscures it

(you can see her living room, mind you, the very top one of the row of living rooms, just beside the bump on the telegraph pole) you can see it better on the middle and lower pictures. (on the middle, it's the topmost double height balcony immediately to the left of the lamp post. Number 155 Norwich Row.)

odd, though.. you can't see the mop on either of the earlier two pictures, that my gran always used to keep hanging upside down on the balcony. it looked from a little way away, like someone with white hair standing on the balcony.

It used to fool my poorly-sighted grandpa on many occasions, as he's be waving to it as he walked home from work, thinking it was my Gran, looking out for him! he helol

Looks like we can identify PT's Grandma's flat, what about DAVEH's Grandma?

Can you Dave?

Looks like we can identify PT's Grandma's flat, what about DAVEH's Grandma?

Can you Dave?

Dont think I can Stuart.

Grandma had 2 flats on Park Hill at different times, both on Hague Row and both on the side overlooking the City. Her first one was accessible from South Street where there was a driveway into the flats complex, I am assuming this is where those vertically stacked bridges are, allowing vehicles to drive underneath.

The second one was much lower down South Street, near the bottom where the incinerators were, the access here was under a short tunnel which went through to the shops on "The Pavements" inside the flats complex.

Problem is, once you went up the stairs or lift to the right row, you then had to walk along the row, the "walkways in the sky" to get to the right door and it is difficult to match up the walkways position on the inside with the balconies position on the outside.

I need to be a few yards back towards town for the correct view, not bad for a guess from memory. Will have to try again. B/W from DaveH

Another combined Then and Now using a DaveH original, again not quite the correct vantage point

This photo demonstrates the problems when taking photos in modern Sheffield, that is road signs and the like, there is just more of them today.

Another combined Then and Now using a DaveH original, again not quite the correct vantage point

This photo demonstrates the problems when taking photos in modern Sheffield, that is road signs and the like, there is just more of them today.

I am sure Danny would be interested in this one in the Holdings Forge thread where you borrowed my "then" picture from. He has made several comments on this picture and how it has changed over the years which your "now" picture clearly shows.

So does it still say FERODO on the bridge?

Despite RichardB's comments in the other thread I think it is an advertisement for brake pads. If they have removed the advertisement and you can still vaguely see it then it may be one for your painted signs / ghostly writing thread!

I am sure Danny would be interested in this one in the Holdings Forge thread where you borrowed my "then" picture from. He has made several comments on this picture and how it has changed over the years which your "now" picture clearly shows.

So does it still say FERODO on the bridge?

Despite RichardB's comments in the other thread I think it is an advertisement for brake pads. If they have removed the advertisement and you can still vaguely see it then it may be one for your painted signs / ghostly writing thread!

No the FERODO advertisment is long gone. Tried getting a photo in the outher direction, not easy, no point of reference, as I think Danny said the tall 'Modern' type building has been modernised again. Plus all the old buildings have gone on this part of Saville st and if thats not enough today there was low sun in your face. Would you also believe the Vauxhall garage is empty.

A bit off the wall this one.

The Then is a better photo than the Now photo. It just caught my eye for some reason.

All the old buildings have gone along this stretch of Saville St, just this ghostly reminder of what was once there. Now phot taken 03/12/08.

The excellent Then photo is by Hjdary.