Sheffield History - Then and Now Photo Thread

DaveH

....great "then" pic to get 4 different major modes of transport in one pic at the same time - bus , tram , train , car ;-)

Yes its a classic picture. I am sure I have seen it before somewhere but what a great shot to pair up in this way. Stuart0742 seems to have his own "sources" for pictures like this, look at his excellent colour pictures from the 1960's of the Moor and Waingate.

I think your NOW location is a bit further down than the THEN photo.

The THEN was taken next to where the Crucible and New Interchange is I think.

I think your right but to get a picture at any point on this road as quiet and peacefull as the first one, without a load of cars, buses pulling in to that stop on the left and pedestrians was difficult enough. Most of my then pictures seem to have been taken late in the year, December time. I must have taken this one on Christmas day morning to get it as quiet as that.

Then, Not so Then & Now Wicker Arches

Top photo is low Res hence the poor quality

Unless I am mistaken that middle picture appears to have 3 minis in it!!!!

Two views along the river Don from the bridge at Blonk Street. Both look down Caslegate towards Lady's Bridge and the Whitbread Brewery (open in 1974, - top picture, long gone in 2008, -lower picture)

Guest transit

Yes its a classic picture. I am sure I have seen it before somewhere but what a great shot to pair up in this way. Stuart0742 seems to have his own "sources" for pictures like this, look at his excellent colour pictures from the 1960's of the Moor and Waingate.

... yes ,theres a colour oil painting/print thats been doing the souvinir/ ebay rounds for several years - this....... ?

Similar location to the previous one on Blonk Street / Castlegate. This one shows Castle Market.

Instantly recognisable in both views as it has changed little over the years.

However if the market is shortly to close and the area redeveloped both these pictures could become the subject of Sheffield Places - Now Gone!

My late father would be proud of these pictures as he worked 27 years for Sheffield Corporation as a painter & decorator. For some reason he worked with the markets department and had to paint, in turn :-

1) Castle Market

2) Sheffield Corporation Abbatoir (Just don't ask what he was painting over!)

3) Sheffield Wholesale Market / Parkway Market

As the THEN photo is 1974 at the middle of his painting career that very prominent "CASTLE MARKET" sign more than likely bears his handiwork.

What a pity it's not visible in the NOW photo. Is it still there? Just in need of a coat of paint perhaps?

....great "then" pic to get 4 different major modes of transport in one pic at the same time - bus , tram , train , car ;-)

Is the Steam Engine a B3 class? in my post #47

... yes ,theres a colour oil painting/print thats been doing the souvinir/ ebay rounds for several years - this....... ?

Yes, thats the picture I was thinking of, but as its a painting and not a photograph is it the work of local artist "Mick Rick" as it bears a lot of his style and he does loads of old Sheffield pictures with trams and buses. When there is a market in Fargate he is usually there selling his work.

Yes, thats the picture I was thinking of, but as its a painting and not a photograph is it the work of local artist "Mick Rick" as it bears a lot of his style and he does loads of old Sheffield pictures with trams and buses. When there is a market in Fargate he is usually there selling his work.

Probably inspired by my mid 1950's photo lol

Probably inspired by my mid 1950's photo lol

More than likely.

We have 5 of his prints in our entrance hall at the bottom of the stairs which we bought off him at a Fargate market. I once got in conversation with him and he said he starts by copying the background scene and prominent buildings from old photos so that the scene will be a recognisable Sheffield location and then he adds in his own extra bits like a bus or a tram or a few cars, although most of his pictures depict a time before 1959, so there are no minis.

So it could well be that he was working from your photo, if it is a Mick Rick picture

A bit of a variation on the theme

A Then & Then comparison of the same scene

The Top one is a B/W photo

The Bottom one "Valesque" Postcard based on the same photo

Date 1930's open to discussion on the date

That's a "Then and Then" photo !

More please, how about Then and Before Then ?

or ... Then and 20 minutes before Then going back over 87 years - a montage ...

A bit of a variation on the theme

A Then & Then comparison of the same scene

The Top one is a B/W photo

The Bottom one "Valesque" Postcard based on the same photo

Date 1930's open to discussion on the date

At first sight these 2 pictures appear to be identical.

But if you look closely children you may notice 10 changes we have made.

CAN YOU SPOT THEM!

Answers on a postcard please to The Beano, ToyTown

There is a prize for the first entry drawn at random after the closing date which has all the correct answers.

The prize is ...a day trip to Angel Street, Sheffield

Got four :

Blind extreme left, more exposed

Chimney, extreme top right missing (basically the whole photo is from a different angle or cropped)

The man above the word Street (left) has lost about 3 stone

Most importantly : Bertie Basset's shadow is missing from the bottom one (extreme bottom right)

Got four :

Blind extreme left, more exposed

Chimney, extreme top right missing (basically the whole photo is from a different angle or cropped)

The man above the word Street (left) has lost about 3 stone

Most importantly : Bertie Basset's shadow is missing from the bottom one (extreme bottom right)

I give up, the colour one is slightly smaller and the edges are not there, but other than that they are the same

I have slightly resized the colour one and superimposed them in photoshop and you can fade b/w to colour, cant see any major differences (PSD file available if you are interested)

I give up, the colour one is slightly smaller and the edges are not there, but other than that they are the same

I have slightly resized the colour one and superimposed them in photoshop and you can fade b/w to colour, cant see any major differences (PSD file available if you are interested)

Got it, it was a trick, there are no differences

Have you got any years for the two obviously different THEN's?

No not really

Top one no trams therefore sixties

Bottom one looks early seventies

As good as I can do at the moment

Guest plain talker

No not really

Top one no trams therefore sixties

Bottom one looks early seventies

As good as I can do at the moment

in the top picture, Castle House is not there,(not even as a one-storey building) so I'd even venture a guess at it being the very early sixties. In the background, it looks as if the four Pye Bank high rise are not there so again, points to about 60/63, I'd think

Angel St and Castle Sq

Then and Then

Here's an easy one for the regulars - Who is the statue stuck to the wall as can be seen easily in the first pic? (ps it was made in 1961)

Guest plain talker

Here's an easy one for the regulars - Who is the statue stuck to the wall as can be seen easily in the first pic? (ps it was made in 1961)

It's one of the three statues of Vulcan that we have in the city centre, the other two being atop the Lyceum Dome, and atop the town hall tower.

That one, on Hornes' wall used to scare the bejabers out of me as a kid.