Sheffield History - Then and Now Photo Thread

DaveH

Guest transit

Then & Now The Wicker Arches

Original B/W photo by DaveH (hope you don't mind)

...really liking these "then and now" pics - just noticed the "additional" wall along the top of the arches which i'd not realised before! ;-)

...really liking these "then and now" pics - just noticed the "additional" wall along the top of the arches which i'd not realised before! ;-)

Well theres a thing, well spotted, Dave's B/W is 1974, I wonder when that was added. Given that regular passenger traffic ceased in 1970 and freight in 1980 it does not seem worth the effort given that it had been there since 1850.

I'm really glad I started this then and now thing as some of the picture pairs posted in the last couple of days are really excellent.

Liked the one of the Roebuck by Carlie167 / SteveHB and Stuarts use of my Wicker Arches picture really shows the changes over the last 30 odd years.

Obviously I've inspired a few people to look out their old pictures then go out with their cameras looking for the same scene to get the matching NOW shot and then (perhaps after a few photo technical bits of jiggery-pokery) to post it here for us all to enjoy

Keep up the good work.

• Like 1

Then & Now The Wicker Arches

Original B/W photo by DaveH (hope you don't mind)

No problem with that at all Stuart.

I have also seen your posts on the "Wicker Arches - a disgrace" thread and noticed that you have got about a bit with your camera so here is my other, previously unposted, Wicker Arches picture from 1974 taken from further down the Wicker towards Lady's bridge if you want to see what you can do with another NOW shot to match it.

Anyone else is also welcome to have a try.

(OK, so some of you may try to take a matching picture while others will just try to identify all those cars!!)

I have also seen your posts on the "Wicker Arches - a disgrace" thread and noticed that you have got about a bit with your camera so here is my other, previously unposted, Wicker Arches picture from 1974 taken from further down the Wicker towards Lady's bridge if you want to see what you can do with another NOW shot to match it.

(OK, so some of you may try to take a matching picture while others will just try to identify all those cars!!)

Some interesting cars on this one :)

A bit to far back for any photo's I took today, will keep this one in mind

Guest transit

....dont know if you've noticed , but the same mk1 Transit van in pastel blue is STILL parked there on the right!!!!!!! - also spotted a nice couple of Capri's!! ;-)

....dont know if you've noticed , but the same mk1 Transit van in pastel blue is STILL parked there on the right!!!!!!! - also spotted a nice couple of Capri's!! ;-)

I belive the photo's were taken within minutes of each other

Guest carlie167

I think this is a brilliant idea for a thead, and am enjoying all the photos, Im also pleased to be able to contribute a little bit.

Keep the pics coming everyone, theyre fabulous. :)

Guest transit

....just posted this .(also in Sheffield Transport) of Bridge St , Town Centre , the only evidence is the buildings top left :( ....

....just posted this .(also in Sheffield Transport) of Bridge St , Town Centre , the only evidence is the buildings top left :( ....

From Bridge Street posting

Got the bug for these now

Totley

Top of Mickley Ln taken from Baslow Rd

Top picture late 50's

Bottom picture 22 Nov 2008

Note the tree nr the entrance to Greenoak Recreation Ground, it has grown a bit. The now location is slightly to the left to try and avoid the trees/bushes at the righthand side of the shot.

I think the tree was fully grown in the first picture. You can make out some of the same branches on the right. A major branch on the left has gone though.

These pics are interesting.

As its getting near to Christmas here is another one. The top of Pinstone Street looking down towards the Moor in both 1969 and 2008 (39 years apart!). I have not posted either of these pictures before and I put these together as they both show the Sheffield Christmas Illuminations. They don't seem to be as good as they used to, either in quality or quantity. The lights used to spread all the way across town, it was a good night out going to see them. Today they are much fewer in number, and those banner lights across the street in the more recent picture don't look as impressive as those giant crowns in the older one.

Here's a similar one showing the view down Fargate from the high street end, dated 1974 and 2008. Both are "Christmassey" shots, the nore recent one obviously so with the lights, the older one not so obvious but there is the Christmas tree in the distance that used to stand at the side of the Goodwin Fountain at the other end of Fargate

Here are 2 photos of Meadowhead/Abbey Ln Junction and the Abbey PH

Dates

The top one is the late 50's

The bottom on January 2008

The top photo was discussed earlier this year in my topic Tram 536 in the Transport section

The Moor again, this time in 1980 and 2008.

To achieve this picture I have "borrowed" bus man's picture of the very last bus to drive down the Moor (hence the date) before it was closed to traffic from the Sheffield Transport forum and matched it with a same location shot of a very pedestrianised Moor of today

This one of the Moor took a bit of doing, now that the moor has trees, bandstands and stalls in the middle of what was once a road full of cars only the Debenhams building marks these 2 views out as being the same place.

A then and 2 nows. I was never really happy with the matching of locations on my first attempt at a "NOW" what with that tree and bandstand so the other NOW shows a second attempt taken from further down the Moor to more closely match the original picture.

A then and 2 nows. I was never really happy with the matching of locations on my first attempt at a "NOW" what with that tree and bandstand so the other NOW shows a second attempt taken from further down the Moor to more closely match the original picture.

Funny I never spotted that before, in my original shot that car parked closest to the camera appears to be a mini! Plenty more old cars there for Stuart0742, bus man and transit to take a good look at.

Another then and 2 nows. This time its Arundel Gate.

The first picture is 1969, the street is quiet and we can make out the logo on the side of (soon to be closed I read elsewhere on this site) Castle House and the building which is now Primark on the modern picture. In the old picture these buildings are on the opposite side of the "hole in the road". In the 2 modern pictures the tram stop would be in this position. The opposite side of Arundel Gate where the YEB building is seems to have altered quite a lot, and the thing I noticed most was the increase in the volume of traffic! At least there was an underpass to cross the road in 1969.

A Then & Now a bit nearer the Arches.

Both in black and white Stuart, but the car in the lower photo has an 08 plate so I assume it is a current NOW picture (Hope you liked that little bit of transit / bus man detective work!)

So what date is the THEN photo? 1950's perhaps?

Guest transit

A Then & Now a bit nearer the Arches.

....great "then" pic to get 4 different major modes of transport in one pic at the same time - bus , tram , train , car ;-)

Another then and 2 nows. This time its Arundel Gate.

The first picture is 1969, the street is quiet and we can make out the logo on the side of (soon to be closed I read elsewhere on this site) Castle House and the building which is now Primark on the modern picture. In the old picture these buildings are on the opposite side of the "hole in the road". In the 2 modern pictures the tram stop would be in this position. The opposite side of Arundel Gate where the YEB building is seems to have altered quite a lot, and the thing I noticed most was the increase in the volume of traffic! At least there was an underpass to cross the road in 1969.

I think your NOW location is a bit further down than the THEN photo.

The THEN was taken next to where the Crucible and New Interchange is I think.