Sheffield History - Then and Now Photo Thread

DaveH

On 31 October 2008 at 21:18, RichardB said:

Nice work, I'm still waiting to know where Wilson Peck were before they were where we all know they were .....

I think they were on Pinstone Street, on the gable end of what is now a Bank, you can still see the painted advert.

14 hours ago, tozzin said:

I think they were on Pinstone Street, on the gable end of what is now a Bank, you can still see the painted advert.

You have it tozzin, the place I knew as Timpson's corner, link here about Wilson Peck        ---------------   https://st33.wordpress.com/record-shops/closed/wilson-peck/       

22 hours ago, boginspro said:

You have it tozzin, the place I knew as Timpson's corner, link here about Wilson Peck        ---------------   https://st33.wordpress.com/record-shops/closed/wilson-peck/       

Gable end of what was Wilson Pecks Beethoven House, you can just about read the Wilson Peck name. When they moved into the building on the corner opposite they transferred the name Beethoven House which stood there for years until they closed it was then re-named Yorkshire House.

003.JPG

On 10/11/2016 at 14:40, kidneystone said:

Chapeltown railway station. Now been moved to the side of the Asda.

Station now and then.JPG

So many train stations now lost 

Sad times

The Porter Brook emerging briefly in the former Staples car park off Eyre Street.

1949 and 2019.

Bramall Lane bridge 1949.jpg

Bramall Lane Bridge 1949 then and now.jpeg

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, deejayone said:

An old one, but I love this comparison. (might take a minute to load the transition fully):

O6hYAdp.gif

Great comparison. Only a few buildings still standing from the old days. 

Sheffield.jpg

Could anyone help me place this one and do a 'now' version of where this would be? Photo shows Junction of Wilstrop Road & Shirland Lane, Darnall, Sheffield

5 hours ago, Sheffield History said:

Sheffield.jpg

Could anyone help me place this one and do a 'now' version of where this would be? Photo shows Junction of Wilstrop Road & Shirland Lane, Darnall, Sheffield

Something a bit like this, I think. What was this end of Wilstrop Road appears to now be Shirland Court. Most of the other side roads have gone, and the route of Shirland Lane in the distance has changed.

wilstrop road now.jpg

As it was,with the arrow giving an idea as to where the photographer was looking. Tockwith Road is the road just behind the arrow. From Map 182

wilstrop road then.jpg

• Like 2

On 14/09/2009 at 12:13, RichardB said:

Not got a clue, part 2.

Second (recently purchased) postcard; here in the forlorn hope someone can help identify the location and then someone ...

Lane, junction, tree, bushes ...

from Sydney to Miss B Johnson, IOM, August 1907

Attempts at transcription gratefully received; should be easy.

[i may have posted letters to/from Miss Johnson ages ago on here (could they be on the "I got this"-thread ?); if so, I bought those in the late 70's, the postcards I bought last week].

post-124-1252926297_thumb.jpg

post-124-1252926311_thumb.jpg

I was trawling back through threads last night and came across this from 2009 and noticed that it had not been resolved at the time.

I know this sounds ridiculous now but I’m sure I’ve seen this photo before somewhere else.

It’s purported to be a view up Bocking Lane from the junction with Abbey Lane at the turn of the century.

The wording would actually fit with that.

I appreciate it seems impossible to envisage that now but the similarity between the photo on the card and the one I’d seen earlier is striking 

On 17/03/2018 at 17:06, peterinfrance said:

I am told this is a picture of the staff at Rowlinson School in the 1950's.

Although I went to Rowlinson it is just before my time there.

Can anyone confirm that it is Rowlinson staff and if so identify them

Rowlinson Staff.JPG

I can still confirm that this is a picture of Rowlinson School Staff as my father is in it

THANK YOU TO ALL WHO PLACED THE COLLECTION OF 'THEN AND NOW' PHOTO'S

As an emigrant (1957) Sheffielder I love to see places I used to pass when visiting relatives beyond the Wicker Arches in the years gone by. My life was in Beauchief, Old Park Road, Bocking Lane, Abbeydale Road.

I have a book of pictures of Sheffield during the Blitz if they are of any interest to the PhotoTechies.

I also went to Greenhill  Village School and remember a Blacksmiths works not far away. If anyone,  by any remote chance, has any photo's  I would love to see them.

PhilB

On 10/11/2016 at 14:40, kidneystone said:

Chapeltown railway station. Now been moved to the side of the Asda.

Station now and then.JPG

That’s the price you pay.  

Thanks to peterinfrance for the Rowlinson staff photo.

I can al confirm it as many of hose guys taught me.

On 06/03/2021 at 22:11, philbolton-Blackpool said:

I can still confirm that this is a picture of Rowlinson School Staff as my father is in it

THANK YOU TO ALL WHO PLACED THE COLLECTION OF 'THEN AND NOW' PHOTO'S

As an emigrant (1957) Sheffielder I love to see places I used to pass when visiting relatives beyond the Wicker Arches in the years gone by. My life was in Beauchief, Old Park Road, Bocking Lane, Abbeydale Road.

I have a book of pictures of Sheffield during the Blitz if they are of any interest to the PhotoTechies.

I also went to Greenhill  Village School and remember a Blacksmiths works not far away. If anyone,  by any remote chance, has any photo's  I would love to see them.

PhilB

My wife went to Greenhill school in the early 60's (she lived on Downing Road) but it was the new school and also I had a mate who lived on James Andrew Crescent, where I went every week until recently. I seem to remember a forge cottage in the village, unless my memory is playing tricks!