Sheffield History - Then and Now Photo Thread

DaveH

A bit of an appeal on this one, if anybody has suitable "Then" photo's where it is still possible to get a "Now" version let me or DaveH know, contact us by PM.

No browse to get into my pictures on PM Stuart so here's one from me.

He has done similar paintings from all over britain they really are fantastic. Take a look at some of his works here

http://www.eb-prints.co.uk/

Thanks mickjj and transit for those artistic links. The Eric Bottomly pictures are very much like those of the artist Malcolm Root who does similar paintings from all over Britain with a strong transport emphasis. He has 2 books of his works out, one showing general transport and the other one specifically railways similar to those in transits link.

For copyright reasons perhaps we could have a thread of LINKS (rather than actual pictures COPYRIGHT!!) to other sites which feature artwork either of the Sheffield area or works by local artists? Just an idea!

Another combined DaveH b/w and my colour, could not decide which one to use so used both, neither the exact viewpoint, but they do show the redeveloped area

Another combined DaveH b/w and my colour, could not decide which one to use so used both, neither the exact viewpoint, but they do show the redeveloped area

Next time your down in that general area Stuart but a bit further over towards the Midland Station here's one for you to try and get a NOW to match looking across and up Howard Street.

Next time your down in that general area Stuart but a bit further over towards the Midland Station here's one for you to try and get a NOW to match looking across and up Howard Street.

Not quite the same

Not quite the same

Pretty close though for a straight out of the collection reply within 20 minutes of posting. Just needs to be a bit further to the right and we've got it. You can still make out the town hall at the top of the hill there. Mine is one of those very early shots this time from 1969 - 70.

Pretty close though for a straight out of the collection reply within 20 minutes of posting. Just needs to be a bit further to the right and we've got it. You can still make out the town hall at the top of the hill there. Mine is one of those very early shots this time from 1969 - 70.

I have a then for my shot for a future post

Then and Now Howard Hotel

I hear the clink of wine glasses lol

Guest transit

I have a then for my shot for a future post

Then and Now Howard Hotel

I hear the clink of wine glasses lol

...sure it was'nt the "men" in stilletos coming down from the Cossak ? he he

...sure it was'nt the "men" in stilletos coming down from the Cossak ? he he

Much safer in 2008 than in 1970 transit.

The Howard is still there and open but as far as I know both the Cossak and the Globe have gone (not that I go in!)

Much safer in 2008 than in 1970 transit.

The Howard is still there and open but as far as I know both the Cossak and the Globe have gone (not that I go in!)

The Globe is still there, well pretty sure it is

The Globe is still there, well pretty sure it is

Somewhere up Howard Street a bit higher up than the Globe there used to be yet another music shop that sold instruments, just a little place though. What was that one called?

Actually the 2 then & now pictures provided by Carlie 167 in post #150 both seem to show different parts of Howard street. The Cossack has definately gone then.

Actually the 2 then & now pictures provided by Carlie 167 in post #150 both seem to show different parts of Howard street. The Cossack has definately gone then.

The Globe can just be seen poking through the trees in Carlie 167's photo number two,

in the 'Now' (R/H side) photo

The Globe can just be seen poking through the trees in Carlie 167's photo number two in the 'Now' (R/H side) photo

Yes thats it, it is still there then.

I will add it to my list of "boozers to visit that I haven't been in for at least 25 years"

Guest carlie167

Somewhere up Howard Street a bit higher up than the Globe there used to be yet another music shop that sold instruments, just a little place though. What was that one called?

Yes youre right, but it was the best I could do with the pics that I have, maybe someone else has a bit better match.

The Globe is still there and this pic is from last year when we went down to look at the Christmas lights.

....probably just "artists licence" where every little detail would have looked too cluttered in a painting ;-)

Here is the answer.

"Waiting on the arch is ex L.N.E.R. B17 class No. 61626 Brancepeth Castle in 1953. The following year saw this part of the line between Sheffield Victoria and Manchester electricfied. Standard tramcar No. 253 waits along with car No. 189 build in 1934 and now reserved at the National Tramway Museum, Crich, Derbyshire"

jiginc

The Howard Hotel and Sheffield Poly/Sheffield Hallam University

Early seventies and last Thursday 11/12/08

Now I can see how you managed to match my random picture (actually taken from my Pond Street set but previously unused) of the Howard so quickly. Didn't realise that you already had plans for a Howard then & now at the time.

Now I can see how you managed to match my random picture (actually taken from my Pond Street set but previously unused) of the Howard so quickly. Didn't realise that you already had plans for a Howard then & now at the time.

OK Stuart, just been back in the "Castle House to close" thread in order to post another archive picture of Castle House and noticed a strong resemblance to a modern picture of yours on there so I decided to do a quick then and now.

Viewed from Snig Hill

Top Picture THEN is 1974

Bottom Picture NOW is, I assume, 2008, courtesy of Stuart0742 (21/11/08)

Guest plain talker

OK Stuart, just been back in the "Castle House to close" thread in order to post another archive picture of Castle House and noticed a strong resemblance to a modern picture of yours on there so I decided to do a quick then and now.

Viewed from Snig Hill

Top Picture THEN is 1974

Bottom Picture NOW is, I assume, 2008, courtesy of Stuart0742 (21/11/08)

;-) ;-) huh! rubbish photos! *sulk* ;-) ;-) not a Mini in sight!