Sheffield History - Then and Now Photo Thread

DaveH

DaveH WILL readily pay to park his car, - it's not that that annoys me.

It's the scheming, underhand, deceitful way in which it has been implemented by the City Council.

There appears to be no legal notification, minimal details and just rushed in as a fait- accomplis before anyone has time to notice.

Then again, - thats councilors and politicians for you, - whatever their party. :angry:

No need to rename the topic Stuart, it is still a THEN and NOW.

THEN you could park your car in Sheffield for nowt.

NOW you have to pay summat for the privelige.

Believe me, in a few years time someone will post something on here called "Remember when you could drive into town and park your car on a street corner for free" lol

If you listen to the news etc, they wan't to charge you just to drive your car, spy in the sky congestion charging etc. :angry:

If you listen to the news etc, they wan't to charge you just to drive your car, spy in the sky congestion charging etc. :angry:

I'll be happy to start using public transport as soon as they put a carpet size rack on the roof and introduce the service which drops you off at the address you need to go to. lol

Isn't that what we pay road tax for?

Gleadless Valley viewed from Raeburn Road near the old No. 28 bus terminus.

Then is October 1971, Now is January 2009

Same then and now, but a much improved version.

THEN October 1971

NOW April 2010

I have just been down to Church St and taken one vox.

lol

..and I have just redone that last Gleadless Valley then & Now in the same style but using 2 photographs (the SteveHB method).

Still not easy to get a good alignment, especially when the pictures are taken nearly 40 years apart, but you don't get your hand in the picture.

background (NOW) shot, without overlay

Still not got to pay yet, but it starts on Monday 12 April.

They have only just put a notification sign up

Trouble is, to find out any important details, you have to phone up or go online

If you go online, their website is not very helpful either, no mention of any costs.

Sheffield Permit Parking Scheme

It looks very much to me like a council "tell them as little as possible before we sneak it in and see how many we can catch out and issue an even bigger fine / fixed penalty notice"

I am suprised that the phone number is a local 0114 number and not an 0900 premium rate £6 a minute rip off that they can make a killing on as well

In my opinion, charging like this will only drive shoppers away to other places making the bottom of the Moor and London Road areas even more of a run down ghost town than they are already, and making it even more difficult for businesses in that area to make a living and stay open.

Went down just to take a look what it was like on the very first day of charging for parking in Highfields.

The GOOD NEWS is that vox was right, it only costs 20p an hour.

Maximum stay is 4 hours so the maximum charge is only 80p.

A very reasonable charge.

The BAD NEWS (or the EVEN BETTER NEWS depending on how you look at it) lol

Is that on the first day of operation all the pay machines I inspected were out of order! :blink::unsure::rolleyes:;-)

Went down just to take a look what it was like on the very first day of charging for parking in Highfields.

The GOOD NEWS is that vox was right, it only costs 20p an hour.

Maximum stay is 4 hours so the maximum charge is only 80p.

A very reasonable charge.

The BAD NEWS (or the EVEN BETTER NEWS depending on how you look at it) lol

Is that on the first day of operation all the pay machines I inspected were out of order! :blink::unsure::rolleyes:;-)

Here we go then, - first shopping trip into town since the introduction of the Highfield parking scheme.

Cost me 40p for 2 hours, a not extortionate fee and giving me ample time to get what I wanted.

Here we go then, - first shopping trip into town since the introduction of the Highfield parking scheme.

Cost me 40p for 2 hours, a not extortionate fee and giving me ample time to get what I wanted.

So I park today and pay at the meter for the second week and when I get back my car windscreen is covered in bird droppings from what was obviously a very large bird :blink:

That has never happened before.

Never got that when it was free to park.

I've been charged 40p for a load of bird s*** !!! :angry:

Can I leave this here?

Judging by the angle, I think I took the now shot from the wrong level of the NCP Car Park I think i must have taken it from the second level, not the top one originally.

Part of the MIdland Station and the Sheaf Street area: date of the top image is unknown, bottom one is 2011.

I waited ages for a train heading north from platform 1, but nothing came and I had to move on to other tasks.

1970 Ukelele Lady

2012 Ukelele Lady

I.m glad you put the dates on UKL, at first glance I thought the top one was 1940!

I.m glad you put the dates on UKL, at first glance I thought the top one was 1940!

Construction of the Sheaf Market isn't it ?

Construction of the Sheaf Market isn't it ?

Yes that's right but couldn't get up there to take the picture where the original

one was taken.

Interesting bit about the name on the Picture Sheffield image. I've also read that the Badger name came from it being a stopping place for travelling salesmen. They had to be licensed and were given a badge to show they were registered, and hence had the nickname 'badgers'. Much more interesting than the Pic Sheffield version!

Thorncliffe Rows
The three trees are all that remain of 20 that were planted in 1919. These three
trees were saved from felling by local residents during the building of the thorncliffe
housing estate in 2001.

THEN 1940s

NOW 2013 Lakin

Thorncliffe Rows
The three trees are all that remain of 20 that were planted in 1919. These three
trees were saved from felling by local residents during the building of the thorncliffe
housing estate in 2001.

THEN 1919

NOW 2013 Lakin

Thorncliffe Rows
housing estate in 2001.

THEN 1919

NOW 2013 Lakin

Westwood train station opened on 14th september 1854. Closed on 28th october 1940. The station was gradually demolished & landscaped around 1978.

THEN 1880s

NOW 2013 Lakin

Westwood Rows. Built around 1869 by newton chambers & co for blackleg workers because of the mining dispute in 1869 to 1870. They were demolished in the 1960s.

THEN 1960s

NOW 2013 Lakin