An elegant house (Gell Street)

HughW

On a street, part of which I travel several times a week, on foot or in a bus. I had never walked this far down it and didn't know this existed. The windows at the right hand end are a separate dwelling with an entrance, similar to the visible one, round the corner.

Quiz

1) which street?

2) which church does the spire behind it belong to?

3) what is between the house and the church?

clue - just up the road to the right is this:-

Hugh

That is one beautiful building. Boundary marker seems to say Ecclesall Beirlow. First thought? Somewhere between The Hallamshire Hospital and Broomhall, but it's a pure guess. Nice post and a great picture, thanks Hugh.

Is it near Wilkinson Road at Broomhill??

That was my first thought, and the spire would be St Silas', but Hugh mentions he travels part of that road on the bus, so does that fit?

I don't think there's a Wilkinson Road in Sheffield. Wilkinson Street would be a lot warmer :)

Supplementary clue...

The house is inside the ring road.

Supplementary question...

4) why would I have taken my small daughter to that church several times a week in the mid 1980's? (a non-religious reason).

Hugh

Is it on Gell Street, the lower part across Glossop Rd from the barracks? If so, then the spire is St Silas', and in between the house and the church is the ring road, (Upper Hanover Street. )

Right or wrong it's a gem of a house!

2 out of 3 !

It is 98 Gell Street. The house round the corner is 5 Conway Street.

But St Silas has a square tower, not a spire :)

Hugh

2 out of 3 !

It is 98 Gell Street. The house round the corner is 5 Conway Street.

But St Silas has a square tower, not a spire :)

Hugh

In that case It must be the church on Upper Hanover Street, is it St Andrew's? These days 2 out of 3 is remarkable for me!

That's it lol

St Andrew's URC (formerly Presbyterian)

I used to take my daughter to the playgroup there - I don't know if it still exists.

It was called the University Playgroup though not necessarily just for students/staff of the Uni (though I was pretending to be a student at the time he he )

Hugh

Guest Raz Badani

I lived in this house it gell street an the side entrance is conway street.the house is now split into private flats....