Murder !!!

RichardB

Murder #7

Nov 1841

The Brown Sow, Red Cross, ...

(linked to a robbery at Heeley)

The Local Register says it was Red Croft. and I think the pub was probably the Brown Cow :rolleyes:

Brown Cow info

That's journalism for you he he

Also..

17 Mar 1842

Henry Rodgers found guilty at York, of the manslaughter

of Wm. Stringer. Transported seven years.

Hugh

The Local Register says it was Red Croft. and I think the pub was probably the Brown Cow :rolleyes:

Brown Cow info

That's journalism for you he he

Also..

17 Mar 1842

Henry Rodgers found guilty at York, of the manslaughter

of Wm. Stringer. Transported seven years.

Hugh

Nice work Hugh.

So ...

Stringer had his 'bowels let out' near to the 'Brown Cow at Red Croft'

lol

;-)

Sunday June 29 1879

Alleged Child Murder Sheffield,

At Sheffield on Wednesday, Mary Loughman, an Irish woman, age 30, was charged with the wilful murder of her child.

She came to Sheffield a year and a half ago from Tipperary, and entered into the service of Miss Mathews as a domestic servant.

About a fortnight ago a disagreeable smell was noticed in the house, and on a search being made by Detective Womach, the body of a child was found hidden beneath the boards at the top of the cellar steps.

The body had been dismembered, and was in five portions.

It is alleged that the woman strangled the child, and pulled it to pieces.She was committed for trial.

Tuesday January 4 1881

Yesterday morning a shocking murder was committed at Sheffield, by a man named Charles Henry Sampson, whilst in a state of delerium tremens.

Sampson is a file forger, and is 28 years of age.

He had been married eight years, and up to yesterday morning he had five children, the youngest of whom was six months old.

He had been drinking heavily during the Christmas holidays, and on Friday he was seized with delerium tremens.

On Saturday evening he became more exited than ever, and his wife sought for medical assistance.

The surgeon advised that an order should be obtained for his removal to the Workhouse, where he could be placed under some restraint; but although the wife went to the residence of the medical officer twice on Sunday, she was unable to find him in, and as she could not otherwise obtain an order for her husbands admission to the Workhouse, nothing further could be done.

At an early hour yesterday morning she left the bedroom in consequence of his restless manner, and was soon afterwards followed by her husband, who implored her to fetch him a little brandy.

She went out of the house for that purpose.

Almost immediately afterwards Sampson had a violent struggle with his wife's brother.

The latter succededin getting away, and ran out with the intention of preventing the wife bringing the brandy.

Whilst he was absent Sampson took up the infant child by the legs and dashed its brains out on the hearthstone.

He then broke every pane in the window, and did the same in a room above.

He afterwards made his way to the garret, in which four of his children and his wife's father were sleeping.

After smashing all the window paneswith his hands, he went to the old man, but did not injure him.

Next he went to his childrens bed, but on his eldest boy asking him not to hurt them he said he would not, but they would not see the baby any more.

Then running down stairs , he jumped out of the kitchen window, and ran into the street in a state of semi nudity.

He wandered about the streets for some time, and was at length seen by a policeman, who took him to the workhouse.

He was there placed in a padded room.

Whilst in the streets he had several fights with walls, and was found in a state of exhaustion.

Daring Highway Robbery & murder,

Jan 18th 1847

Mr John Riley a respectable Tobacconist

after closing his place of business on Waingate

he then went to spend an hour or two with friends at

The New Market Hotel, in the Cattle Market ......

Government later offered up a reward of £100 ....

Brothers

George and James Bradley both from Grimesthorpe had been drinking that evening

in The White Lion (Wicker) and other places ...

Supposed Murder nr Sheffield

Jan 1848

He left The New Inn on Shales Moor,

his body was later found at the bottom of 'Deep Pit', Intake ...

Attempted Murder at Ecclesfield

A hysterical & bloody brawl between two women,

one from Potter Hill the other from Charlton Brook.

'The wretched woman stepped from behind

and slashed the razor across her throat' ...

Murder in The Park Area

May 4th 1851

Involving the use of a Fire poker & Pen Knive

Thomas Johnson, Cowkeeper said ...

"I reside next door to the deceased,

in Wilson's Yard Duke Street"

"I was retiring to bed and heard unusual noises,

like the rumbling of chairs and tables"

Suspected Murder

Sept: 1851

Irish Labourer Thomas O'Hara

died at the Sheffield Work House.

Two Irish Labourers found O'Hara

sitting by the road side near the Village of Norton,

it was later believed that his death had been caused by

drinking a quantity of water while in a heated state ...

Attempted murder in Sheffield

15th December 1860

2 men shoot File Cutter and Assistant Gamekeeper at his house in Smithy Wood

Guest Old Canny Street Kid

Attempted murder in Sheffield

15th December 1860

2 men shoot File Cutter and Assistant Gamekeeper at his house in Smithy Wood

MURDER/SUICIDE AT SPITAL HILL CIRCA 1948

Does anyone have any knowledge of a murder on Spital Hill sometime in the late 1940s. A man murdered his wife, who had a clothes shop on Spital Hill, nearly opposite the end of Carlisle Street, and then set fire to the premises. He promptly ran across the road, down onto the railway track, and threw himself under a train. It was, of course, a sensation at the time, but I have never been able to track it down in the old newspapers. I was a boy when it happened, and feel sure I have got the date of abt 1948 right.

Of course, some years later the terrrible East House murders occurred just up the road from the shop where the woman was murdered by her husband.

MURDER/SUICIDE AT SPITAL HILL CIRCA 1948

Does anyone have any knowledge of a murder on Spital Hill sometime in the late 1940s. A man murdered his wife, who had a clothes shop on Spital Hill, nearly opposite the end of Carlisle Street, and then set fire to the premises. He promptly ran across the road, down onto the railway track, and threw himself under a train. It was, of course, a sensation at the time, but I have never been able to track it down in the old newspapers. I was a boy when it happened, and feel sure I have got the date of abt 1948 right.

Of course, some years later the terrrible East House murders occurred just up the road from the shop where the woman was murdered by her husband.

Hi 'Old Canny Street Kid'

The first one sounds interesting (MURDER/SUICIDE AT SPITAL HILL CIRCA 1948)

Perhaps one or two of our members could come up with some more information on this

and also the East House murders

Hi 'Old Canny Street Kid'

The first one sounds interesting (MURDER/SUICIDE AT SPITAL HILL CIRCA 1948)

Perhaps one or two of our members could come up with some more information on this

and also the East House murders

I thought the "East House" Murder had been covered before in a previous thread, had a quick look but can't find it

A Child Murder.

And Two Attempted Murders

on women living in Brown Street

and Duke Lane, Park

Waddington a Grinder by trade,

from Lord Street , Park, said ....

'I carried it into Cutlers Wood,

Heeley near Sheffield and there

cut its head off' ..

He was later executed on

Sat: the 8th of Jan: 1853

at 12 Noon

Attempted Murder in Sheffield

May 1861

78 year old Ralph Barber of Brook St nr St Georges Church who lived alone.

He was attacked by the nephew of his housekeeper.

Ralph Barber was able to describe his attacker, who was soon apprehended.

Murder at East Bank nr Sheffield

From active inquiries by the Police

the victim Mr Robinson from Doncaster was traced

to have erlyer dined at Greys eating house in Watson's Walk.

With mentions to 'Naylors PH', 'Royal Standard PH' & the 'Reindeer Inn'

'His Lordship,

having put on the Black Cap then passed

the sentence of death upon the prisoner'

Who then left the dock saying ...

"Thank you: I am innocent" :(

Intent to Murder in Sheffield

5th March 1861

George Smith was charged with shooting William Austin with intent to murder

Both men were soldiers, William Austin had previously put Smith on a charge for ill treating his wife. 2 months later Smith sought revenge.

"I am sorry, I have commenced a job without finishing it; I would willingly have hung for him"

Found guilty and sentenced to death

Alledged Murder near Sheffield

July 1861

William Wainwright alias Bosvill was brought before Rotherham Magistrates for the alledged murder of his son

Robert Newbutt was on his way to Haymaking at the bottom of Wincobank Hill nr the railway, when he came upon a Gypsie encampment.

William Wainwright appeared carrying the body of his dead son

But when the constable arrived there was nothing to colaborate Newbutts story, the case was discharged by the Magistrates.

Child Murder at Sheffield,Friday, August 18, 1876

About nine o'clock on Monday evening a horrible discovery was made at the Victoria Station of the Manchester, Sheffield and Lincolnshire Railway, Sheffield.

A girl on going into one of the retiring rooms, found a bundle, which on being unwrapped was found to contain the mutilated trunk and head of a male child "eight months old"?. (questioned as later in the article it says about a year old)

The arms and legs had been cut off, evidently quite recently, and cannot at present be found.

The police cannot at present trace anything in connection with the affair.

The murder is exiting great interest in the locality, a revolting crime having been clearly perpetrated. The child was about a year old, having several strong teeth.

Mr. Harrison, the police surgeon, examined the remains on Tuesday, and says the child has been first strangled, and then cut up with a saw.

The head is to be photographed, and every means used to detect the murderer.

The Sheffield borough coroner opened an inquest on Wednesday. The legs and arms are sill missing.

The coroner adjourned the inquiry, ordering a post mortem examination, and saying it was for many reasons desirable to keep dark the evidence they had at present.

As no prisoner was in custody no injustice would be done by accepting this course.

In a week the evidence would doubtless be more satisfactory.- The police are circulating photos of the face, and consider their investigation likely to succeed.

Charge of Murder in Sheffield

March 1853

The deceaced, together with two other persons

'Turner' and 'Timperley'

had been drinking in the Crown Inn, Scotland Street....

'It would appear that the deceaced was struck

by stones or bricks thrown by some men

who then ran away'

Part of The Crown Inn can be seen

to the left