Sheffield Steam

DaveH

Is that the one that is or used to be at Whitby

Yes Stuart, that is the one I'm thinking of.

A mate of mine took these shots in Whitby on the 12th of September 06.

Is that the one that is or used to be at Whitby

Yes, that's why I questioned why it would be in Sheffield.

However, knowing some of the people that may be involved I could possibly see why it would visit.

'Elizabeth' is taking part in the Lord Mayor's Show procession in London on Saturday 12th November. The procession will be broadcast on BBC1 from 10.45am onwards.

Also look out for the immaculately restored East Yorkshire Leyland Tiger saloon which will also be in the procession

http://www.old-bus-photos.co.uk/?cat=37.

Yes Stuart, that is the one I'm thinking of.

A mate of mine took these shots in Whitby on the 12th of September 06.

Thanks Steve, some nice pictures there of the Sentinel steam bus Elizabeth.

Given away by the Old Glory logo it carries.

The "Old Glory" monthly magazine about steam traction and the preservation of British heritage has 2 "mascot" steam engines which advertise it and attend rallies to support it.

One of them is the Sentinel steam bus Elizabeth, the other is a Clayton & Shuttleworth traction which is actually called "Old Glory" and had been for many years before the first issue of the Old Glory magazine came out in 1988.

'Elizabeth' is taking part in the Lord Mayor's Show procession in London on Saturday 12th November. The procession will be broadcast on BBC1 from 10.45am onwards.

Also look out for the immaculately restored East Yorkshire Leyland Tiger saloon which will also be in the procession

http://www.old-bus-p...s.co.uk/?cat=37.

Elizabeth certainly gets around a bit these days then.

On 09/07/2009 at 20:36, DaveH said:

post-822-1247167542_thumb.jpg

This is Malcolm Woodbine with his 6" scale (half size) Burrell double crank compound engine.

As this was the largest miniature at our rally we used it to do amazing feats of haulage, gaining Malcolm the nickname of "Mr Shift It".

In 2005 we asked Malcolm to tow 2 large, full sized engines around the arena on tow bars. The engines had been steamed and so were fully laiden with water and coal, giving the 2 engine load an all up weight of around 30 to 35 tons. Once moving the little 6" Burrell could pull them around almost effortlessly,- even when one of the big engine boys tried to wind his handbrake on :o

Here are some pictures of this feat being performed.

post-822-1247167964_thumb.jpg post-822-1247167923_thumb.jpg

The 6" Burrell is prepared for the task

post-822-1247167979_thumb.jpg post-822-1247168000_thumb.jpg

Taking the strain and picking up that heavy load, - note the smoke as the engine pulls hard

post-822-1247168017_thumb.jpg post-822-1247168035_thumb.jpg

Once moving the little engine seems to be able to pull that MASSIVE load with ease.

Hi everyone,

I appreciate that this is an old thread, but if anyone has any more pictures or even video of this happening I would be very interested (or any other pictures of it). My dad built this engine and sold it to Mr Woodbine in 2005.

Thanks.