Sheffield Steam

DaveH

The 99 was the Sheffield to Chesterfield via Gleadless, Ford, Marsh Lane and Barrow Hill, run jointly by Sheffield Transport and East Midland. It ran via City Road, Ridgeway Road, Hollinsend Road and Gleadless Road to get to Gleadless Townend. It was single decker operated due to low bridges in Barrow Hill, but clearly double deckers were used on peak hour "shorts" to Townend and later to Charnock.

By the time I knew the route it ran via East Bank Road, Newfield Green and Gleadless Road :o to Townend and it was always single deckers. I liked to use the 99 from Sheffield to experience the climb up Gleadless Road: never had a bus give up, but had a few very slow crawls.

I could go on and on and on about bus routes (like I do about trams).

In brief....The Gleadless buses were traditionally the 101 and 102, with the 105 number being used for Arbourthorne short workings. The 51 was the Sheffield to Lodge Moor route until the late 1960s when it was extended through to Gleadless Townend to replace the 101/102, with the 105 and 30 running to Herdings via Arbourthorne. In the early 1970s the 51 was extended to Herdings and the 30 and 105 withdrawn (apart from some peak hour journeys) and largely replaced by the 64 to Charnock via Arbourthorne and Gleadless.

Refering to the bits I have put into bold in your quoted post.

At some point the end of Hollinsend Road was blocked off making it impossible to access Gleadless Road at that junction (where the Sheffield & Heeley House is). Could this be why they later altered the route.

Thanks for the extra bit about bus routes to Gleadless. It all makes sense as I remember most of the routes.

We also sometimes used a number 28 bus to get to Herdings but this terminated on Raeburn Road having come up the Gleadless Valley along Leighton Road.

Refering to the bits I have put into bold in your quoted post.

At some point the end of Hollinsend Road was blocked off making it impossible to access Gleadless Road at that junction (where the Sheffield & Heeley House is). Could this be why they later altered the route.

Thanks for the extra bit about bus routes to Gleadless. It all makes sense as I remember most of the routes.

We also sometimes used a number 28 bus to get to Herdings but this terminated on Raeburn Road having come up the Gleadless Valley along Leighton Road.

Regarding the top of Hollinsend Road, I think the route was changed before Hollinsend Road was blocked off. For a time in the late 60s and early 70s the 99 ran straight up RIdgeway Road to Gleadless Townend, and I think the changes at the top of Hollinsend Road were later than that, but I could be wrong (I often am!).

Regarding the top of Hollinsend Road, I think the route was changed before Hollinsend Road was blocked off. For a time in the late 60s and early 70s the 99 ran straight up RIdgeway Road to Gleadless Townend, and I think the changes at the top of Hollinsend Road were later than that, but I could be wrong (I often am!).

Although I can remember a time when it was open I am not sure exactly when it was closed off.

Guest transit

Although I can remember a time when it was open I am not sure exactly when it was closed off.

...i can recall i used to catch the '99 to Chesterfield from early '74 , and that was always in a single decker, up the steep Gleadless Rd ! - not Ridgeway Rd.

I can also (just) remember it open, so I think it must have been closed in the early 1970s.

A trawl through Pauline Shearstone's books suggests that some of the properties in that area were compusorily purchased for road widening in 1972, so this might be the date: I am sure that as well as being widened the dip in Gleadless Road was eased at the same time: this would have left the top of Hollinsend Road some distance below the new alignment of Gleadless Road and is probably why it was blocked off.

I can also (just) remember it open, so I think it must have been closed in the early 1970s.

A trawl through Pauline Shearstone's books suggests that some of the properties in that area were compusorily purchased for road widening in 1972, so this might be the date: I am sure that as well as being widened the dip in Gleadless Road was eased at the same time: this would have left the top of Hollinsend Road some distance below the new alignment of Gleadless Road and is probably why it was blocked off.

Take it from me madannie, when I walk up there it is certainly a steep climb up the top of Hollinsend Road, even on the footpath, up to Gleadless Road.

...i can recall i used to catch the '99 to Chesterfield from early '74 , and that was always in a single decker, up the steep Gleadless Rd ! - not Ridgeway Rd.

The 99 route was changed in 1973 (or thereabouts), when the 64 to Charnock was introduced) - prior to that date it ran up City Road and Ridgeway Road and was certainly still doing so in May 1972. I remember not believing the route change via Gleadless Road, thinking no bus could ever get up there!

It is on the 26th and 27th of June, according to this Flyer: one to add to the events calendar

The site calendar is now updated with details of the Sheffield steam rally.

I will update the website shortly but I have temporarily taken it down to avoid confusion as it still contained last years details.

The site calendar is now updated with details of the Sheffield steam rally.

I will update the website shortly but I have temporarily taken it down to avoid confusion as it still contained last years details.

Website www.sheffieldsteam.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk should now be updated and displaying the correct information.

Links used on this site to it should also work.

Please let me know if there are any problems or errors.

Website www.sheffieldsteam.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk should now be updated and displaying the correct information.

Links used on this site to it should also work.

Please let me know if there are any problems or errors.

The website has now been updated with details of this years rally due to take place at the same location on the 25th and 26th June 2011.

I was very late at doing this this year and it was only another post about traction engines that reminded me of it.

I am now "retired" from the steam rally scene and have little contact with them, except that the webspace for their original site is my own personal webspace.

You can follow Sheffield Steam club on Facebook these days.

The Sheffield steam part of my webspace will remain but become just a minimal "front", because hidden behind it and not directly accessible are several items (We Love Arbourthorne Banner, Dr. Dave & Mr. Big film, Joy Rider film) which are directly linked to Sheffield History.

The website has now been updated with details of this years rally due to take place at the same location on the 25th and 26th June 2011.

I was very late at doing this this year and it was only another post about traction engines that reminded me of it.

I am now "retired" from the steam rally scene and have little contact with them.

So I won't be going to it.

However, it was nice weather yesterday (Saturday) after the early rain lifted and today (Sunday) it is really sunny and warm which guarantees a good turn out.

If anyone goes to it and has any pictures of the event feel free to upload them into posts in this topic.

So I won't be going to it.

However, it was nice weather yesterday (Saturday) after the early rain lifted and today (Sunday) it is really sunny and warm which guarantees a good turn out.

If anyone goes to it and has any pictures of the event feel free to upload them into posts in this topic.

I went to it Dave, on the Sunday.

What a scorcher, a lovely day and a good turn out. I didn't take any pictures this year not like I did last year,

I did most with cam-corder this year. B)

I went to it Dave, on the Sunday.

What a scorcher, a lovely day and a good turn out. I didn't take any pictures this year not like I did last year,

I did most with cam-corder this year. B)

Thanks UKL,

Hope you have got some great footage of the event.

I'm glad it was a nice a day and that there was a good turn out.

I have done rallies with the club in the 1990's when it has rained, turned the field to mud so we all got wet and dirty and to top it off very few people turn up, takings on the gate (income) goes down but the cost of putting the rally on (expenditure) stays the same so that you end up making a loss and having less capital to attempt to put on a rally the following year, which faces exactly the same risk of poor weather.

Running a steam rally, or any outdoor weather dependent event, is not an easy job.

Thanks UKL,

Hope you have got some great footage of the event

Running a steam rally, or any outdoor weather dependent event, is not an easy job.

I know , been there , done it in the cold and wet. No so much steam but other events. :(

I know , been there , done it in the cold and wet. No so much steam but other events. :(

Just to confuse everyone . . . .

Just to confuse everyone . . . .

Do they ever get bad weather at those Australian steam events then?

I know this is a rail steam event, but a large proportion of all the traction engines built in Britain were for "Export to the Empire and Colonies". They are after all, agricultural engines really and they would be needed to cultivate all that open farmland, much bigger acreages in places like Australia and the southern parts of Africa than anything at home.

I also know from publications like OLD GLORY that down there in Australia they have a number of large and very successful steam rallies.

If there's one near you in Tasmania I would recommend a visit.

I had a ride on the Whitby steam bus last week, they call her Elizabeth.

she's a right bone shaker but really enjoyable.

Every so often she'd blow her whistle then I don't know what the driver [Vernon }

did but twice he opened something up in the driver's cabin and the flames would shoot

up. He told us that is Elizabeth's heart.

Vernon the driver spent a lot of time and money on restoring the steam bus but

had a little battle with the authorities to get the bus on the road as they claimed the

exhausts should be at the back of a bus. As we know steam is blowed from the top

front but eventually they accepted that this rule would not apply to the steam bus and

the driver got his way.

Vernon the driver also drove the steam train Hoggwarts in Harry Potter.

The steam bus will be travelling from Whitby to London this summer with the

BBC filming and it will be shown on BBC 2 at the beginning of November.

I had a ride on the Whitby steam bus last week, they call her Elizabeth.

she's a right bone shaker but really enjoyable.

Every so often she'd blow her whistle then I don't know what the driver [Vernon }

did but twice he opened something up in the driver's cabin and the flames would shoot

up. He told us that is Elizabeth's heart.

Vernon the driver spent a lot of time and money on restoring the steam bus but

had a little battle with the authorities to get the bus on the road as they claimed the

exhausts should be at the back of a bus. As we know steam is blowed from the top

front but eventually they accepted that this rule would not apply to the steam bus and

the driver got his way.

Vernon the driver also drove the steam train Hoggwarts in Harry Potter.

The steam bus will be travelling from Whitby to London this summer with the

BBC filming and it will be shown on BBC 2 at the beginning of November.

I think the steam bus called Elizabeth is a Sentinel steam vehicle, made at the Sentinel steam waggon works in Shropshire. If so I think it has some connection with the OLD GLORY steam magazine.

OLD GLORY have 2 steam engine mascots, one of them is an agricultural Clayton & Shuttleworth engine called "Old Glory" and the other is a steam bus called "Elizabeth"

Did anyone get any shots of the Steam bus climbing Meadowhead at around 10.30 this morning ? W/E.

Didn't know anything about it Waterside Echo.

Do we have any details of which steam bus it was? Was it the Sentinel steam bus Elizabeth?

Do we have any details of which steam bus it was? Was it the Sentinel steam bus Elizabeth?

Only saw a quick nearside view from a distance of the top half of the vehicle. Flat fronted cab with chimney in the centre of the roof red painted cab and bus body, unable to see if it had twin rear axles. W/E.

Only saw a quick nearside view from a distance of the top half of the vehicle. Flat fronted cab with chimney in the centre of the roof red painted cab and bus body, unable to see if it had twin rear axles. W/E.

Sounds like it could be the Sentinel called Elizabeth then as it sort of fits the description and there aren't too many steam buses around these days.

Not normally in the Sheffield area though, - I wonder where it going / coming from?

Sounds like it could be the Sentinel called Elizabeth then as it sort of fits the description and there aren't too many steam buses around these days.

Not normally in the Sheffield area though, - I wonder where it going / coming from?

If it was Elizabeth she is on her way to London. W/E.

If it was Elizabeth she is on her way to London. W/E.

I'm sure we have a very good photo of Elizabeth on here somewhere, can't locate it.

think it was taken by one of our lady members while they were visiting the east coast.

I'm sure we have a very good photo of Elizabeth on here somewhere, can't locate it.

think it was taken by one of our lady members while they were visiting the east coast.

Is that the one that is or used to be at Whitby