Sheffield Steam

DaveH

This is a classic photographic pose at local steam rallies called "Big Mac and Little Mac".

"Big Mac" is McClaren works number 1421 made by McClarens of Leeds in 1912, registered for the road as BE 7518 and carrying the name "CAPTAIN SCOTT". It is an 8nhp (nominal horse power) road locomotive weighing around 12 tons. It is owned by John Blagg.

John can just be seen behind the engine near the rear wheel.

"Little Mac" is an exact 3" scale copy of "Big Mac" made by John Evans. When "Big Mac" was in pieces for repair almost 20 years ago John was able to measure up the parts to make plans and patterns to build his scale miniature from. As you can see from the picture he did a fantastic job, - it looks exactly like the real thing, and not only that it is fully working as well, even "Little Mac" is capable of pulling large loads.

This is another view of the 3" scale miniature of the McClaren engine "CAPTAIN SCOTT" built and owned by John Evans.

Last time I met John a few years ago he was not in the best of health and was quite elderly. The man in the picture is not John but I recognise him as one of his friends and helpers.

Thanks to Paul for sharing these pictures with us, hope I have added a bit of extra detail about what are locally owned and maintained engines.

Thanks for adding the information Dave,

you certainly know your stuff when it comes to steam powered vehicles.

Paul has been good enough to send me a few more photos

taken at the steam rally.

First 2 pictures of the same engine contain all the clues to identify this engine even though I have not seen it at a rally before.

This is Aveling & Porter (note the rearing brass horse on the headstock which gives this away) number2031 built in 1884 at their works in Rochester, Kent. Carrying road registration number ME 3918 it also carries the name "English Rose". Its very appearance gives it away as a 5 ton single cylinder slide valve road roller of 5nhp (nominal horse power) and 10 tons weight.

As I have not seen it at a rally before I have no idea who owns it, but it was previously kept by an owner in Hull.

In contrast to the previous engine I know who restored and owned this engine but as it was newly restored in my last year as safety officer I don't know all the details of it.

Owned by Mr. R. Innman this is a Fowler made by Fowlers of Leeds carrying the name "Pentland Queen" I don't know its engine number, and therefore its year of manufacture and the road registration is only partially visible in the picture.

4" scale going on the size of it, looks like a Burrell single cylinder more than anything, owner not known.

A couple of pictures of the Lygo family from Chapeltown (father and daughter) with 2 of their miniature engines.

Mr. R. Lygo is with a 4" Foden steam Wagon while Miss S. Lygo is with a 3" Fowler A8

This is Fowler number 11700 built in 1908 at their works in Leeds. Carrying road registration number SV 5785 it also carries the name "Waltzing Matilda", probably because it is a 6nhp single cylinder colonial type engine designed for export to "the colonies of the British Empire" and it spent most of its working life in Australia before being brought back for restoration. It is owned by 2 well known local steam lads, Dave Maris and Andrew biglands.

Miss Lygo tends to both her families miniature engines, 3" Fowler behind her while she fills the water tank of the 4" Foden.

Behind her in the engine line up is the Fowler colonial engine of A. Biglands and D. Maris.

Stood looking on at the right hand side is Trevor Wragg who will no doubt be tending to Chris Keetons Aveling & Porter road roller "Buster" which is just visible behind him. Chris himself, being on the committee of the steam club will probably be doing some vital job on the field to keep the rally running.

This is Malcolm Woodbine with his 6" scale (half size) Burrell double crank compound engine.

As this was the largest miniature at our rally we used it to do amazing feats of haulage, gaining Malcolm the nickname of "Mr Shift It".

In 2005 we asked Malcolm to tow 2 large, full sized engines around the arena on tow bars. The engines had been steamed and so were fully laiden with water and coal, giving the 2 engine load an all up weight of around 30 to 35 tons. Once moving the little 6" Burrell could pull them around almost effortlessly,- even when one of the big engine boys tried to wind his handbrake on :o

Here are some pictures of this feat being performed.

The 6" Burrell is prepared for the task

Taking the strain and picking up that heavy load, - note the smoke as the engine pulls hard

Once moving the little engine seems to be able to pull that massive load with ease.

Again I know very little about this engine as it made its first appearance at the rally after I had finished being safety officer at the rally.

Its appearance is typical of an "American" engine, although by American in this case we mean Canadian, it is a Whites engine made in Canada.

These engines were designed to burn available fuel (often only wood or straw) and to plough the praries for the replanting of wheat.

Note the large "spark arrester" on top of the chimney. Burning wood / straw causes a lot of sparks and hot embers to be thrown up the chimney when the engine is being worked hard. Working in fields with cut and dried wheat and straw bales in hot weather could easily cause a large fire, hence the "spark arrester"

Although I have no pictures of this years rally I have quite a few from last years 2008 rally. In fact the engine line up panorama in post #1 is from last years rally. Bearing in mind that the following pictures from me are a year out of date here are some more images of the same engines.

The White's Canadian engine being stoked in the arena.

The open footplate of these American engines gives a good view into that roaring fire in the firebox :blink:

But a heavy fire in an idle engine does tend to produce more smoke :o

Much cleaner when the engine is made to work, here moving out of the arena.

These general views show the characteristic appearance of this American engine, very different from classic British traction engine design.

Between Malcolm Woodbine doing our heavy haulage in 2005 with his 6" Burrell and last years rally he had fitted the canopy.

At this scale the canopy seems to get in the way and restrict his view a fair bit.

Big Mac and Little Mac

Photographed seperately this time as they take part in the full size and miniature steam parades respectively.

This is the Sheffield Steam Rally field at North Anston as seen by Google Earth.

The present (2009) view shows it as a normal field but these Google Historic views (one of them is 2006, not sure about the other) must have been taken within days of the end of a steam rally (so taken late June, early July)

The grass is flattened where heavy vehicles have driven over and left their tracks. It is possible to pick out the square shaped parading arena and the loop of the heavy haulage tracks around "the playpen". It is also possible to pick out the location of enclosure pens, stalls, public access routes etc.

quite a revelation.

Almost all aerial Google views make me feel ill/dizzy; 3-D Street views especially do my head in - cheers for suppliny great stuff, especially old maps superimposed on modern views, I love 'em but I can't do them.

Almost all aerial Google views make me feel ill/dizzy; 3-D Street views especially do my head in - cheers for suppliny great stuff, especially old maps superimposed on modern views, I love 'em but I can't do them.

No strange crop circles or mysterious alien designs left by flying saucers here though Richard.

All those wierd markings in the field were made by heavy engines moving about through the grass.

It should be coming up to time for the Sheffield Steam & Vintage Rally 2010 within the next 3 weeks.

It usually takes place on the last weekend in June (26 + 27 this year) at North Anston.

However,

Since resigning my position on the committee and membership of this club I have had no contact with them so the date is not confirmed.

The website www.sheffieldsteam.php.blueyonder.co.uk which I maintain is still showing last year's (2009) details as I have done nothing with it since before the last rally.

If any other details of this event come to my attention I will initially post them on here and then (possibly) update the website.

If any other member gets to know anything about this event before me please feel free to post the details up here.

It should be coming up to time for the Sheffield Steam & Vintage Rally 2010 within the next 3 weeks.

It usually takes place on the last weekend in June (26 + 27 this year) at North Anston.

However,

Since resigning my position on the committee and membership of this club I have had no contact with them so the date is not confirmed.

The website www.sheffieldsteam.php.blueyonder.co.uk which I maintain is still showing last year's (2009) details as I have done nothing with it since before the last rally.

If any other details of this event come to my attention I will initially post them on here and then (possibly) update the website.

If any other member gets to know anything about this event before me please feel free to post the details up here.

It is on the 26th and 27th of June, according to this Flyer: one to add to the events calendar

It is on the 26th and 27th of June, according to this Flyer: one to add to the events calendar

Thanks for that madannie, I will update stuff a.s.a.p.

By the way you seem to have changed into a number 99 Sheffield Transport bus :blink:

Thanks for that madannie, I will update stuff a.s.a.p.

By the way you seem to have changed into a number 99 Sheffield Transport bus :blink:

I fancied a change from the tram, and as the bus has Gleadless as the destination I thought it would be suitable for me. Not that I recall double deckers on the short workings of the 99.

I fancied a change from the tram, and as the bus has Gleadless as the destination I thought it would be suitable for me. Not that I recall double deckers on the short workings of the 99.

Yes but it is Gleadless.

From the Arbourthorne we always used to go to Gleadless (Gleadless Common and Gleadless Townend) on either the 51 or 105 bus routes. Not sure where 105 finished up but the 51 terminated at Herdings.

Never realised there was a 99 Gleadless route as well.

Presumably it did the lower part of Gleadless or perhaps the Gleadless Valley.

Yes but it is Gleadless.

From the Arbourthorne we always used to go to Gleadless (Gleadless Common and Gleadless Townend) on either the 51 or 105 bus routes. Not sure where 105 finished up but the 51 terminated at Herdings.

Never realised there was a 99 Gleadless route as well.

Presumably it did the lower part of Gleadless or perhaps the Gleadless Valley.

The 99 was the Sheffield to Chesterfield via Gleadless, Ford, Marsh Lane and Barrow Hill, run jointly by Sheffield Transport and East Midland. It ran via City Road, Ridgeway Road, Hollinsend Road and Gleadless Road to get to Gleadless Townend. It was single decker operated due to low bridges in Barrow Hill, but clearly double deckers were used on peak hour "shorts" to Townend and later to Charnock.

By the time I knew the route it ran via East Bank Road, Newfield Green and Gleadless Road :o to Townend and it was always single deckers. I liked to use the 99 from Sheffield to experience the climb up Gleadless Road: never had a bus give up, but had a few very slow crawls.

I could go on and on and on about bus routes (like I do about trams).

In brief....The Gleadless buses were traditionally the 101 and 102, with the 105 number being used for Arbourthorne short workings. The 51 was the Sheffield to Lodge Moor route until the late 1960s when it was extended through to Gleadless Townend to replace the 101/102, with the 105 and 30 running to Herdings via Arbourthorne. In the early 1970s the 51 was extended to Herdings and the 30 and 105 withdrawn (apart from some peak hour journeys) and largely replaced by the 64 to Charnock via Arbourthorne and Gleadless.