Wicker Arches - A disgrace?

dunsbyowl1867

Going right back to the 1st post in this topic

Here are some photos I took today of the carved detail above each of the pedestrian passageways, they highlight the quality of the detail and the terrible state the structure is in

The arches don't look this bad in the other picture you took today for the "then and now" thread, and if you compare the 2 pictures in that thread of the arches, taken over 30 years apart the degree of degradation is not that apparent, until of course you look at these close ups.

The arches don't look this bad in the other picture you took today for the "then and now" thread, and if you compare the 2 pictures in that thread of the arches, taken over 30 years apart the degree of degradation is not that apparent, until of course you look at these close ups.

I believe the Arches were cleaned in the early seventies, before that this detail was not even visible due to the build up of grime/soot.

The poor state is more apparent on the Attercliffe side (lower 2 photos)

I was thinking exactly the same as others on this thread the other morning when sat in traffic on Spital hill.

As a gateway to the city, they should look better than they do.

But...... I dont think it is just a case of sprucing up the actual main arches. The arches to either side which have been bricked up look a mess too. Old door ways filled in, remnants of old roof flashing still stuck halfway up etc. It all needs to doing to give full effect.

Not the best photos in the world ...... so I won't bother claiming my prize ........ unless I can be paid in sherbert fountains.

Thanks for you're contribution 'dr stanley'

The Sherbert's are in the post ... lol

Guest bozaowl

Cheers bozaowl!

Wow - the power of Sheffield History ! What's next? ;-)

I actually work run the electrical section of a national company , and part of our works to the arches is to `wash ` them with area lighting , floodlight the carvings etc and uplight the inners of the arches.

How much to restore The Wicker Arches and make it something Sheffield could be proud of ? Compared to half-building a thingie with cranes on it and no glass, which, may, or may not be something of Pride to the City - but currently, well who the heck knows about its future ?

I believe the Arches were cleaned in the early seventies, before that this detail was not even visible due to the build up of grime/soot.

The poor state is more apparent on the Attercliffe side (lower 2 photos)

The direction of prevelant weather, and therefore weathering of the stone should be on the south west which is the opposite (town) side of the arches.

The weathering being heavier on the Attercliffe side is probably due to this side being more exposed and open to the elements and the fact that in years past most heavy industry, and therefore grim and pollution would have come from the heavy steel works in the Attercliffe area, although prevelant winds from the SW would take most of this up the Don valley towards Tinsley and Rotherham.

How many churches does it take to build the Wicker Arches?

and a couple more from the station approach.

Someone was telling me the other day that the tiled tunnels (walkways) than ran to the platforms still exist and are inspected on a regular basis ....... now that would be worth seeing.

Excellent, I've never seen those before, well spotted and Thank you for taking and posting the pictures and for the information. :rolleyes:

Someone was telling me the other day that the tiled tunnels (walkways) than ran to the platforms still exist and are inspected on a regular basis ....... now that would be worth seeing.

Yes it would. Anyone know of any way this could be organised?

Guest roger mortis

I Believe that the main arch was hit by a bomb during the Blitz and the bomb didn't explode but went right through to the road below.To back up this story (and i wish i had time to take a picture and post it) you can see where the repairs where done on the right hand side as you go into town or left hand side as you head up spital hill. :rolleyes:

I told my son this tale when he was a young un and everytime we past under on the bus he always looked up to see if the mark was still there he he

I Believe that the main arch was hit by a bomb during the Blitz and the bomb didn't explode but went right through to the road below.To back up this story (and i wish i had time to take a picture and post it) you can see where the repairs where done on the right hand side as you go into town or left hand side as you head up spital hill. :rolleyes:

I told my son this tale when he was a young un and everytime we past under on the bus he always looked up to see if the mark was still there he he

This repair is quite obvious if you look for it

Guest roger mortis

Thanks Stuart,

i actually took a similar photo on my phone last time i past under just to illustrate the story.

no need now yours is good enough

he he

Guest skeets

In a similar thought, those arches have stood for 160 years, unlikely to burn down, but, in a modern day equivalent - how about some bright spark suggests that they are "unsafe" - brilliant, huh ?

Clean 'em up, bit of spit and polish and a magnificent entrance as already stated and a magnificent monument to Victorian England, when w

e used to have businesses that ruled the World.

The Arches were steam cleaned and some repair work done about 35/40 years ago, and they did look very good, but now ,with the clean air in force, its time to do them again , skeets

The Arches were steam cleaned and some repair work done about 35/40 years ago, and they did look very good, but now ,with the clean air in force, its time to do them again , skeets

The arches have been cleaned Skeets, but will it last ? I think there is a definite drainage problem from the track above, the previous problem were I think due to water damage rather than pollution.

Also there are also the arches either side that are still a disgrace.

Guest andydeda

Hi....My dad told me quite some time ago that under the main arch of the wicker arches you can see a repair which was done after a un-exploded bomb in ww2 hit it....I always forget to look when I pass under it....as anyone seen it?

Hi....My dad told me quite some time ago that under the main arch of the wicker arches you can see a repair which was done after a un-exploded bomb in ww2 hit it....I always forget to look when I pass under it....as anyone seen it?

True, a link will appear right here when the link fairy passes by.

Guest wayneybabes

i am sat at the computer typing this at sheffield trophy centre where i work......and these stone arches are freezing lol

Guest wayneybabes

The arches have been cleaned Skeets, but will it last ? I think there is a definite drainage problem from the track above, the previous problem were I think due to water damage rather than pollution.

Also there are also the arches either side that are still a disgrace.

whenever it rains heavily, in these arches the water comes pouring down our walls so yes there is definately a drainage problem :angry: