Bricklayers Arms on Newhall Road and River Don Inn on Brightside Lane

Guest kazisindahouse

Guest kazisindahouse

Hi there

I am looking for information on a public house called the Bricklayers Arms which was on Newhall Road when my rellie died in 1929.

By 1934 his wife was then at the River Don Inn on Brightside Lane and remainded there for a number of years.

I'd love to know more about these public houses!

Thanks in advance

Karen

Hi there

I am looking for information on a public house called the Bricklayers Arms which was on Newhall Road when my rellie died in 1929.

By 1934 his wife was then at the River Don Inn on Brightside Lane and remainded there for a number of years.

Thanks in advance

Karen

Bricklayers or Brickmakers Arms - there's a question.

I have Brickmakers Arms at 21 Newhall Road, but, I'm more than willing to be wrong.

Guest kazisindahouse

Relatives name ? if possible ...

Sorry my error it was the Brick Makers Arms

His name was Robert Guess and he died January 1929 his wife Carrie then moved to the River Don Inn on Brightside Lane and was there until her death in March 1949. After which her son Robert and his sister Ivy, who married my rellie Harold Jeffcock, until 1954/1955 when it was taken over it appears by a John W Whitham.

Guess I need to look now at the Brickmakers Arms on the electoral registers to see how long the Guess family were there for!

Hi there

Thanks in advance

Karen

The Brickmakers Arms was in Newhall Road when my relatives, George and Emma McHattie ran the pub.

Vida

Guest kazisindahouse

The Brickmakers Arms was in Newhall Road when my relatives, George and Emma McHattie ran the pub.

Vida

Hi there

Thanks for the reply! Do you know when your rellies were there please? Also do you know if there are any photos of the pub anywhere still in exsisence?

Thanks again!

Hi there

Thanks for the reply! Do you know when your rellies were there please? Also do you know if there are any photos of the pub anywhere still in exsisence?

Thanks again!

They were there on the 1901 census and probably there until 1910 or 1911. I have a picture of the pub but I haven't the slightest idea of how to email it to this site. The name over the pub in the picture was J. Parkin. Their daughter, Alice McHattie married James Parkin in 1894 so the Parkins were probably owners at some time.

If you can tell me how to get the picture to you, I'll be glad to share with you.

Vida

I have a picture of the pub but I haven't the slightest idea of how to email it to this site. The name over the pub in the picture was J. Parkin. Their daughter, Alice McHattie married James Parkin in 1894 so the Parkins were probably owners at some time.

If you can tell me how to get the picture to you, I'll be glad to share with you.

Vida

Hi Vida,

with regards to adding an image to your posts, this should help ... Link

Hi Vida,

with regards to adding an image to your posts, this should help ... Link

I hope this attachment gets through. It's The Brickmakers Arms sometime after 1901.

Vida

Vida

They were there on the 1901 census and probably there until 1910 or 1911. I have a picture of the pub but I haven't the slightest idea of how to email it to this site. The name over the pub in the picture was J. Parkin. Their daughter, Alice McHattie married James Parkin in 1894 so the Parkins were probably owners at some time.

Vida

Just to confirm the address..

19-21 Newhall Road, George McHattie, beerhouse,

White's 1901.

19-21 Newhall Road, George McHattie, beerhouse,

White's 1911.

On 30 March 2009 at 8:50 PM, Vida said:

Hi- is this your photo? I am researching a book on pubs...

I hope this attachment gets through. It's The Brickmakers Arms sometime after 1901.

Vida

post-2810-1238442572_thumb.jpg