The blue 'police box' next to the town hall

Sheffield History

I wonder what the story to that is..

It sticks in my mind mostly because as a kid I thought it was Doctor Who's tardis !!

But in later life it's still there (I think !) and would be good to know the story of it

I wonder what the story to that is..

It sticks in my mind mostly because as a kid I thought it was Doctor Who's tardis !!

But in later life it's still there (I think !) and would be good to know the story of it

Hahaha!!! So did I!!!

(I still do)

It's still there (or was the last time I conciously looked) - I've always wanted to go inside it, see what it was like inside a Police Box, but it was always locked up.

Someone once told me (don't know how true it was) that it was placed there during the miners strike so Police could be permenantly stationed where the strike was?

I've never once seen the door open or a policeman go in or out of it

Maybe it's a door to some secret underground city hall tunnels ?

I reckon that you open the door - go inside and as soon as the door closes the inside shell is really a lift and takes you down to the tunnels

he he !!

If I went in and ended up coming out in a tunnel, I'd be vastly disappointed.

I'd like to have travelled across space and time to another planet, along with a lovely assistant who called me 'The Doctor', have a robotic dog (I'd call him K-9) and eventually defeat some wierd part-robot-part-alien-brain beings.

Hey, that sounds like a great idea for a TV show!!

I went past it today...

...AND IT'S A GREEN BOX!!!

I'm sure it used to be a Blue box (and I seem to have memories of it being a little further down the road) - but the Green box looks quite old?

Anyway - there is a green police box by the side of the Town Hall now!

Guest codeyes

There also used to be one at the bottom of Walkeley Lane..........been in it a couple of times in the mid 60's...............they aren't really as big inside as the TARDIS though

Guest codeyes

Right next to where The Flower Bowl used to be before it moved across the Road. Walk down from the Freemasons and over the bridge....it was bang on your right where the road meets Holme Lane

Found a pic of the town hall one !!

The original was blue !!

Outside the Town Hall, stands one of the last of 120 old-fashioned Police Boxes.

Better known in recent times as the transport of the television fictional character, ' Doctor Who ', this piece of police history no longer has it's original blue livery and lacks its blue light that flashed when an urgent telephone call came through.

Introduced in Sheffield in 1928 by the then Chief Constable, Percy J Sillitoe, of gang-busting fame, they were eventually phased out in the 1960's. The boxes were used by patrolmen for meal breaks and writing reports.

This box was the traditional home of the Town Hall 'Bobby'. During the early 60s this was John Mason who actually looked like an old fashioned policeman. John liked his food and was a great person to chat to.

My Dad goes in it.

It must be still in use as Dad has to read the electricity meeting in it once a month. I'll find out.

Really ??

Excellent !!

Can he get a picture of it with the door open or summat on his phone ?

Or from the inside looking out ?

I'll see. I might be wrong, I know he used to, whether he still does or not is another matter, I'l ask him when he comes home.

Excellent

Hopefully he'll be able to provide us with loads of Sheffield information and memories (after all.. he IS 'reyt old')

:lol: :lol: :lol: :D :D :D :D