The Bell Hagg / John Thomas, Manchester Road, S 10

Guest coffee cup

Guest coffee cup

We only went in after it changed it's name to the John Thomas, I believe after the landlord {John Thomas Chidlow }.

Sunday Lunch was excellent the plates were the size of a dustbin lid, the food was pure heaven. Did anyone have the pleasure of one of these dinners ??

Sadly I believe his wife died and after that, things went a little down hill, we used to call in some Saturday nights on our way to our favourite Italian Resturant at Crosspool but found there was very little on offer from behind the bar in terms of beer and stuff. Not long after that we heard on the grapevine it had been sold to a developer who was going to turn it to flats ( suprise, suprise) Pitty It was a nice Pub, especially in the summer, sat outside, looking over the valley.

Last I heard Mr. Chidlow wan't too well either.

Please note by stuff I don't mean anything dodgy, I mean Beer, larger and wine, even some soft drinks like tonic water were not in stock. :(

Guest Lacecurtains

We only went in after it changed it's name to the John Thomas, I believe after the landlord {John Thomas Chidlow .

Yes we went in some lunchtimes not long after they had taken it over. Sorry to hear the lady died, I seem to remember she was quite young.

The pub's still boarded up.

Guest livingstone

I went there today to have a nosey around, you can gain access through a side-door (if, like me you have the body build of a match stick as when I say side-door, I mean a knocked out glass panel about 12 inches wide)

Interesting place, we used to go there as kids after a walk with the parents. A horse in a nearby field bit my dad's shoulder, it was most amusing for me and my brother.

I'm surprised that the site hasn't been turned into flats yet.

... you can gain access through a side-door (if, like me you have the body build of a match stick as when I say side-door, I mean a knocked out glass panel about 12 inches wide)

I'll not make a special trip then ... 49 inch chest, 18 stone, I may not have got through the normal door ....

I went there today to have a nosey around, you can gain access through a side-door (if, like me you have the body build of a match stick as when I say side-door, I mean a knocked out glass panel about 12 inches wide)

I took this through the broken panel last weekend.

I was going to go in but I was bundled up with jumpers and coat and it was too cold to take them off.

Some more attached. For some reason I didn't take any of the front of the building. - Odd.

Guest livingstone

I'll not make a special trip then ... 49 inch chest, 18 stone, I may not have got through the normal door ....

....Sounds like you could walk through it. :P

Guest livingstone

I took this through the broken panel last weekend.

I was going to go in but I was bundled up with jumpers and coat and it was too cold to take them off.

Some more attached. For some reason I didn't take any of the front of the building. - Odd.

Nice photos.

I didn't take a camera today, should have done really. I might go on a spot of urban exploration next week, I'll get some photos of the inside - as long as nobody seals up the door.

might take a trip to Thornseat Lodge too.

Nice photos.

I didn't take a camera today, should have done really. I might go on a spot of urban exploration next week, I'll get some photos of the inside - as long as nobody seals up the door.

might take a trip to Thornseat Lodge too.

I fancied a look in here as well but i couldn't find an easy way in at the time.

It's the red roofed building, past the farm house at the end of Long Lane (behind the Bellhagg)

We only went in after it changed it's name to the John Thomas, I believe after the landlord {John Thomas Chidlow }.

Here's evidence of the name change hidden in the trees.

Probably not visible in summer.

I fancied a look in here as well but i couldn't find an easy way in at the time.

It's the red roofed building, past the farm house at the end of Long Lane (behind the Bellhagg)

When we lived at St.Anthony's our house deeds contained an old map of the Rivelin Valley.

It marked an old aquaduct that ran apparently from Rivelin Dams to the Hadfield Dam by the Grindstone Pub.

This aquaduct ran precisely beneath the building you mention 'so i guess it was an old valve house or something similar.

The aquaduct ran along on a constant contour line down the valley and through the allotments beneath where we lived. Where it went from there I don't know as it ran off the edge of the map. Some old water board maps I once perused showed the aquaduct following a very wiggily line 'so I think it might have been a tunnel with gravity flow.

Perhaps you could attach a camera to a long pole and poke it through a window. If I can get my buggy along the lane I might try that myself !

HD

Perhaps you could attach a camera to a long pole and poke it through a window. If I can get my buggy along the lane I might try that myself !

HD

I did attach the missis to a long pole and poked her through the window to get a photo. It worked very well.

I don't know if she got any photos though, I must remember to go back and get her out one of these days. :o

Nice gloves Vox, do they do a co-ordinated scarf ?

lol lol

HD

Aha - that's where they are then.

I knew it was a bad idea to cut that bit of string off that threads up your jacket sleeves. :)

I remember delivering the beer to the Bell Hagg when it was Whitbreads, The trap door was near the Pub entrance, and what a drop it was!!!! I would estimate it was about a 45 feet drop from cellar door to the bottom.

One of the draylads once tried "bagging" a 18gall aluminium barrel and it split on the weld,"his mate said you should have seen the froth, he was covered" :) I personally always ropped them down, anchoring the rope to the ring, cemented into the path near the entrance. Some of the Old draymen who worked for Tennant brothers said they had Delivered Hogsheads(56gall) there.

The biggest I ropped down was (36gall) Whitbreads bitter.

I must say in the photos,the Building does look in a sorry state. Steve

Just a note. this stone is in the next field along from where I took the 1st of my attached photos (Post above)

(if that makes sense)

Sheffield Water Works and I think the lettering below is SV for stop valve.

I would think it is on the line of the aquaduct I previously mentioned.

HD

On 13 February 2012 at 9:56 AM, vox said:

Here's evidence of the name change hidden in the trees.

Probably not visible in summer.

post-3521-0-88152600-1329126970_thumb.jp

Hi Vox

Would be happy for me to use this picture in my pub project/ book? I can PM you with more details but I have made a number of posts on here on similar subjects. You can also contact me by email sheffieldpubs@outlook.com cheers Jamie

Bell Hagg Inn to be converted into seven bedroom house. 

Crosspool News

21st August 2011, by Robin

https://crosspool.info/2011/08/21/bell-hagg-inn-to-be-converted-into-seven-bedroom-house/

Former Bell Hagg Inn. 

21st February 2018

https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/5686475

Lost Pubs Project. 

Bell Hagg Inn also known as John Thomas. Including Information regarding John and Jennine Chidlow

https://www.closedpubs.co.uk/yorkshire/sheffield_s10_bellhagg.html

What Pub.com

Former Bell Hagg Inn, 658 Manchester Road. Includes alterations to private dwelling. 

https://whatpub.com/pubs/SHF/333/bell-hagg-inn-sheffield