Danville Street

Guest davyg

Hi.

Does anyone have any family relatives that lived in Danville St .Sheffield. 1917 /1950.

I am looking for any possible photos of Danville St and a public house 'Star Inn'

The relatives I am researching are Robinsons./Shields

I believe they lived in 98 or 100 Danville St.The lady was Martha Robinson and her partener was George Rupert Shields .They had several children but they were never married and the children had Robinson as they name on birth certificates...Martha died about 1945 and rupert 1950.

Any info appreciated...

Dave

Guest Old Canny Street Kid

Hi.

Does anyone have any family relatives that lived in Danville St .Sheffield. 1917 /1950.

I am looking for any possible photos of Danville St and a public house 'Star Inn'

The relatives I am researching are Robinsons./Shields

I believe they lived in 98 or 100 Danville St.The lady was Martha Robinson and her partener was George Rupert Shields .They had several children but they were never married and the children had Robinson as they name on birth certificates...Martha died about 1945 and rupert 1950.

Any info appreciated...

Dave

My grandparents, Billy and Annie Johnstone, lived at 58 Danville Street. I believe they lived there from the 1930s, and possibly the 1920s. Grandmother died in 1954, Grandfather was still alive when the houses were demolished around 1955-6. I spent a lot of time in Danville Street in the 1940s, when some of the families around were the Elmores, the Browns, the Matthews', the Halls, old Mrs King, the Smiths, the Lowes, etc.

Re photos, there is one in a book called Images of Sheffield or More Images of Sheffield, published by Breedon Books of Derby some 10 or more years ago. It was never proved that the picture really was Danville Street, but it was extremely like I remembered it as a boy.

If you require me to go into more detail of my memories of Danville Street, let me know.

My grandparents, Billy and Annie Johnstone, lived at 58 Danville Street. I believe they lived there from the 1930s, and possibly the 1920s. Grandmother died in 1954, Grandfather was still alive when the houses were demolished around 1955-6. I spent a lot of time in Danville Street in the 1940s, when some of the families around were the Elmores, the Browns, the Matthews', the Halls, old Mrs King, the Smiths, the Lowes, etc.

Re photos, there is one in a book called Images of Sheffield or More Images of Sheffield, published by Breedon Books of Derby some 10 or more years ago. It was never proved that the picture really was Danville Street, but it was extremely like I remembered it as a boy.

If you require me to go into more detail of my memories of Danville Street, let me know.

Hi

I will try and source the book you mentioned.I would be interested in any memories you have of Danville St..I still have a Great Aunt (87)who lived in Danville St . She nurse her mother Martha in her last few years ..Not sure what age you would have been in he 1940's but several members of my families would have been around at various times ..ie Blanch Bagnall...her children Jim and Doris Bagnall... Louis Robinson. his sons .Kenneth and Steve Robinson .My Gt Aunt is Annie Robinson . I will mention the names in you message to see if she has heard of them and check their house number...

Cheers

Dave

Hi

I will try and source the book you mentioned.I would be interested in any memories you have of Danville St..I still have a Great Aunt (87)who lived in Danville St . She nurse her mother Martha in her last few years ..Not sure what age you would have been in he 1940's but several members of my families would have been around at various times ..ie Blanch Bagnall...her children Jim and Doris Bagnall... Louis Robinson. his sons .Kenneth and Steve Robinson .My Gt Aunt is Annie Robinson . I will mention the names in you message to see if she has heard of them and check their house number...

Cheers

Dave

Your great aunt may well know the name Johnstone, for as well as my grandparents Billy and Annie, there was my grandfather's brother, Bob, and his wife Ada, who lived further down the hill.

Funnily enough, the name Robinson does sound familiar. When my parents married in 1938, I feel sure one of the witnesses was called Robinson and came from Danville Street.

Send me a private message if the latter reference strikes a note with your great aunt.

Best wishes.

Your great aunt may well know the name Johnstone, for as well as my grandparents Billy and Annie, there was my grandfather's brother, Bob, and his wife Ada, who lived further down the hill.

Funnily enough, the name Robinson does sound familiar. When my parents married in 1938, I feel sure one of the witnesses was called Robinson and came from Danville Street.

Send me a private message if the latter reference strikes a note with your great aunt.

Best wishes.

Just noticed the photo.

Thankyou .

Dave

Still wondering whether anyone can tell me how the courts worked on Danville Street. What I really want to find out is what court number applied to the yard at the back of 58 Danville Street. When I was a lad a family called Lowe lived in the house at the back of 58, and I would love to know what the address for this house was.

Can anyone help?

Try the maps section. They may be able to give you the numbers for the street and courts.

I think if I can get access to an electoral roll or two in the early and mid 1940s, I would find an answer to my query. It is just a case of knowing where to find the rolls!

Guest Christine Steers

Hello Old Canny Street Kid

In September (8th 11th) Mick Nott and The Friends of Burngreave Cemetery are hosting an exhibition and guided walk about the Zeppelin Raid over Sheffield in 1916. Mick will be visiting the graves of the civilians that were killed and we wish to collect and display some information about them. Your picture of Danville Street will be ideal for us . Would you give me permission to use it please. Kind regards, Christine

On ‎31‎/‎10‎/‎2008 at 10:17, Old Canny Street Kid said:

That photo is definitely Danville Street as the little street going off to the right is Letwell Place and the building on the corner of it (with big windows)  was Gunby's store. My grandma lived -till 1970 -on the street below Letwell Place, Cantley Place. Not all the houses on Danville Street were demolished in the mid , those that were were near the bottom numbers 8 to 28 and the courts behind them. The rest that went to the top past Sun Street (Burngreave school), survived till between 1967-70. (Sorry I'm a bit late with the reply as I only just found the post.

On ‎17‎/‎12‎/‎2008 at 16:21, Old Canny Street Kid said:

Still wondering whether anyone can tell me how the courts worked on Danville Street. What I really want to find out is what court number applied to the yard at the back of 58 Danville Street. When I was a lad a family called Lowe lived in the house at the back of 58, and I would love to know what the address for this house was.

Can anyone help?

The court houses that were at the back of 58 Danville Street were Court No 12 (no's 1 to 6.).

On 13/07/2019 at 23:22, Edgar Street said:

That photo is definitely Danville Street as the little street going off to the right is Letwell Place and the building on the corner of it (with big windows)  was Gunby's store. My grandma lived -till 1970 -on the street below Letwell Place, Cantley Place. Not all the houses on Danville Street were demolished in the mid , those that were were near the bottom numbers 8 to 28 and the courts behind them. The rest that went to the top past Sun Street (Burngreave school), survived till between 1967-70. (Sorry I'm a bit late with the reply as I only just found the post.

The court houses that were at the back of 58 Danville Street were Court No 12 (no's 1 to 6.).

My grandad Snell’s family lived at 71 Danville street and my Blackwell Nanan’s family lived on Cantley place

When my father was 4 or so in 1917, the first family home in Sheffield was on Danville St. Dad would tell me hazy stories about playing on the various mounts when he was young & some of the gangs. Always knew roughly where it use to be on a modern map but I made this overlay to give me a better idea. The original old aerial view was an obtained from the https://historicengland.org.uk/images-books/archive/collections/aerial-photos/ and most are war time RAF photographs. Well worth a look if you are researching. Where it ran through Catherine Road, a little of the road is still there in the form of a recessed area. It then ran on though to Grimesthorpe Road of course.

98807399_danville_st_thennow.thumb.jpg.637f6c49974d2b1b7c6a54f295f02f24.jpg