Frecheville

Guest tsavo

While looking through a 1700s diary, I noticed a mention of Lady Frecheville in relation to Staveley. Could this have a connection to the Sheffield area?

While looking through a 1700s diary, I noticed a mention of Lady Frecheville in relation to Staveley. Could this have a connection to the Sheffield area?

To quote once again from the book "Chantrey Land" by Harold armitage, on page 200 there is a description of the Frechville family. this is an ancient family which goes back to the times of the Norman conquest. A Ralph Frechville waswith Edward I in the Scotish wars, a Peter Frechville was with Edward VI and knighted for valour at Musselborough. Another Peter Frechville was knighted by James I at Worksop in 1603. Church lands at Coal aston were sold to Peter Frechville and his son John Frechville bought Hazelbarrow and lived in the hall there. The Frechvilles were big supporters of Charles I in the civil war. Later prominent members of the family were female and the family burying place is at Staveley with a monument to Sir John and other Frechvilles. The principal branch of the family lived at Staveley for more than 300 years and it was there that the line became extinct.

Given the title "lady", the name unusual and now extinct surname Frechville and the location Staveley there is little doubt this is the same family that a district now in south east Sheffield is named after.