Queen's

RichardB

What news of this place ? Standing/demolished ?

Many a happy time had there with Vernon; me and a pal used to knock on the door about 11am, he'd let us in, say "Leave the money on the side Lads", then go about his business as we served ourselves, played pool until the "workers" came in; first time we got a frosty look, but as they got to know us and as we immediately vacated the table so they could have a lunchtime game we became unlikely friends.

Beautiful memories, beautiful building. God Bless Vern and Wyn.

What news of this place ? Standing/demolished ?

Many a happy time had there with Vernon; me and a pal used to knock on the door about 11am, he'd let us in, say "Leave the money on the side Lads", then go about his business as we served ourselves, played pool until the "workers" came in; first time we got a frosty look, but as they got to know us and as we immediately vacated the table so they could have a lunchtime game we became unlikely friends.

Beautiful memories, beautiful building. God Bless Vern and Wyn.

Still there, just derelict and looking very sad for its self, it looks like it was once a large proud place.

See Poppychristina's Gallery

To me, the finest place of all, just perfect - I only knew it 1979-85 but is was a great pleasure. A proper Pub, divided not open plan, Mine Host, music in the "other side" - we lived in the right-hand side; function room upstairs.

Anyone got a picture of it looking less sad ?

Must have been magnificent "in its day".

Hi Richardb

I had my wedding reception there [ the first one that is ] in 1965. It was held upstairs in the function room

and we had Steve Butler of Butlers cafe to do the catering. After the meal and before the evening began

I went home to change out of the wedding dress.

When I came back I must have looked completely different because they were refusing to serve me

a drink requesting my age.

What a shame to see these buildings stand empty when they use to be full of life. :rolleyes:

A damned shame indeed, still at least we will have our memories of the place and the people when we are reversing our car/visiting young professionals/ taking the escalator to the second floor of the Scotland Street Mall - possiblt all three.

Sorry I missed the Wedding, I was three years old and probably more interested in worms and mud pies than Wedding cake.

I'll shed a tear alright when that building is improved out of existence.

Ah the Queens had so many good times in there,Vern was my dads best mate, lovely bloke also my dads wife played the organ there,used to get loads of singers in, the place used to be packed on a weekend.Its so sad to see it empty now.......still got some really good memories of times past spent in the queens....I went to both Vern and wins funeral recently end of an era :)