National Schools

Sheffield History

What were they ?

I read J R Wrigley's post earlier about there being a national school in Hillsborough and the pictures I've posted here are from the National School on Carver Street

But what actually were they ?

Why were they called National Schools ??

Guest tsavo

The building looks Georgian in style. Never heard of National Schools. Is this at the side of the old Carver St Methodist Church?

It's opposite where Sinatra's nightclub was..

It's a pub now (was it called Dickens ?)

Guest J R Wrigley

What were they ?

I read J R Wrigley's post earlier about there being a national school in Hillsborough and the pictures I've posted here are from the National School on Carver Street

But what actually were they ?

Why were they called National Schools ??

I believe the National School movement pre-dated the introduction of the Compulsory Education Act of 1870 when the Sheffield School Board set up an ambitious programme of building new schools to comply with the new Act. Many of these School Board schools still stand and some are still in use.

The National School Movement predates the Board Schools and their schools were often linked to churches. They mainly catered for the poor who could not or would not pay for education. Some of them were taken over by Sheffield School Board on a temporary basis until sufficient new schools could be built to accomodate the new intake.

The Carver Street school which you illustrate was probably linked to Carver Street Chapel higher up the street.

Others were located as follows:

Walkley N.S. on South Road

Pitsmoor N.S. off Pitsmoor Road

Wadsley N.S. near Wadsley Church

Finlay St N.S. St. Stephen's N.S.

Garden St. St. Luke's N.S.

Shiregreen N.S.

St. Paul's N.S. (linked to St. Paul's Church (now the Peace Gardens)

Hillsborough N.S.

All these schools would pre-date 1870 when Sheffield School Board was begun.

I have no doubt there are others. Let us know if you know of any.

Guest Ernie

Think the Wadsley one was later used by Marcliffe school as an annexe.

You're absolutely spot on. Wadsley C of E school as it was known when I attended, was indeed an annexe of Marlcliffe school. It did so about 1950/51, though I'll stand corrected on that. I left there in 1949 and went to Wisewood.

National School, No. 35 Carver Street, refurbished as Dickens Inn, Le Metro public house and latterly the Viper Rooms in the cellars. t12674.jpg.ffc8619fd6f3c3d5533f3592888dce33.jpgt12674

Nos. 33 La Gondala, Italian Restaurant and 35, Ruby Lounge, (former National School), Carver Street. 2006.

c02729.jpg.3cd159dd9304d3fe4c13fa29ef0bf75a.jpgc02729

Rear of the Dickens Inn, Le Metro, formerly National School, No. 35 Carver Street from Carver Lane with the spire of St. Matthews Church left. 14th April 1982.

https://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s24991&pos=15&action=zoom&id=27771

Charles Constantine Ltd., hardware store in the former National School, Carver Street. 31st January 1975.

https://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s24990&pos=22&action=zoom&id=27770