Nearly Halloween - Spooky Sheffield !

dunsbyowl1867

Guest lynn.55

When we were kids in the 1950s-60s we never did anything at halloween, we didnt even know what trick or treat was. All it did for me was scare the living daylights out of me. As for bonfire night, my brothers, sister and me went penny for the guiying. We collected 5-6 jars of cash and our dad bought with it loads of fireworks for bonfie night. All our neighbours joined in and they brought baked potateos, parkin horse chestnuts ect. Now on halloween i do a halloween party for the neighbourhood kids and my grandchildren. The kids go trick or treating, come back with a load of goodies stuff their faces while the adults have a few cans and a couple bottles of wine. Bonfire inight, if we dont go to a community bonfire, we dont bother at all. How times have change.

When we were kids in the 1950s-60s we never did anything at halloween, we didnt even know what trick or treat was. All it did for me was scare the living daylights out of me. As for bonfire night, my brothers, sister and me went penny for the guiying. We collected 5-6 jars of cash and our dad bought with it loads of fireworks for bonfie night. All our neighbours joined in and they brought baked potateos, parkin horse chestnuts ect. Now on halloween i do a halloween party for the neighbourhood kids and my grandchildren. The kids go trick or treating, come back with a load of goodies stuff their faces while the adults have a few cans and a couple bottles of wine. Bonfire inight, if we dont go to a community bonfire, we dont bother at all. How times have change.

That doesn't stop the children of today "guying". I encountered 3 or 4 on the way to the football on Sunday though I must say I didn't give them any money because their guys were rubbish!